Self-study guides to help you master Equity Research
Want to become an Equity Research Analyst?
Here you will get all you must know to become one. Learn from 150+ in-depth articles on Equity Research covering basics as well as advanced topics in Equity Research, Accounting, Valuation, Financial Modeling, Report Writing and more.
Choose the Topic that you want to learn from -
Fundamentals of Equity Research
In order to learn the fundamentals of Equity Research, you should start with this article on What is Equity Research? Once you have a basic understanding of Equity Research, then you can read through the following set of articles to gain in-depth understanding.
- Top Equity Research Skills
- Equity Research Report Writing
- Difference between Sell Side and Buy-side
- Equity Research vs Sales & Trading
- Bull Market vs Bear Market
- Fundamental Analysis vs Technical Analysis
- Trading vs Investing
- Industry Analysis for Beginners
- What is Primary Market?
- Top Economic Indicators to Watch
- TVM - Time Value of Money
Equity Research Course
If you want to master Equity Research Professionally, then you may consider this Video Course on Equity Research Training. It is a bundle of 11 courses with 40+ hours of video tutorials and Lifetime Access.
Accounting for Equity Research Analyst
Do you know the key difference between a core accountant and Equity research analyst is on one side accountant is busy preparing the Balance Sheet, income statement, cash flows, whereas, an equity analyst is busy analyzing these Financial Statements. The key in accounting for Equity Research analyst is to learn how to analyze the financial statements.
If you are "new" to accounting, then do have a look at this basic accounting training in which you will get an intutitive understanding of financial statements in less than one hour!
You must start with this monster guide on Ratio Analysis in Excel (9000+ words comprehensive step by step guide). We have take Colgate Case study in this ratio analysis guide. Once you are comfortable with Ratio Analysis, you can learn more about individual topics from the below articles -
- Profit Margin
- Financial Leverage
- Operating Leverage
- Dividend Payout
- Defensive Interval Ratio
- Equity Turnover
- Cash Conversion Cycle or CCC
- Capitalization Ratio
- Dividend Yield Formula
- Interest Coverage
- ROA - Return on Total Assets
- What is Asset Turnover
- Cash Ratio Formula
- Working Capital Ratio Formula
- DSCR Ratio
- What is Credit Analysis
- Current Ratio formula
- Difference between Current Ratio Quick Ratio
Apart from the above topics, there are much more topics that have been covered in equity research accounting, so do have a look at these other sets of articles too.
Financial Modeling for Equity Research
Once you have made yourselves familar with the necessary accounting required, then start learning Financial Modeling. You can jumpstart your learning on Financial Modeling here with this awesome step by step tutorial on Financial Modeling.
Thereafter, you can look at some detailed financial modeling for Equiyt Research articles and its application -
- Box Financial Modeling
- Alibaba Financial Modeling
- Financial Model Types
- Top Financial Modeling questions
- Leverage Buyout or LBO
- Sensitivity Analysis in Finance
- Top Financial Excel Functions
Learn all the core concepts of Valuation in these set of articles.
Discounted Cash Flow Methods
- Dividend Discount DDM Model
- FCFF - ree Cash Flow to Firm
- FCFE - Free Cash Flow to Equity
- WACC - Weighted Average Cost of Capital
- Cost of Equity Ke
- CAPM Beta Calculation
- Discounted Cash Flow common mistakes
- Valuation of Alibaba
- Valuation of Box IPO
- Terminal Value Calculation
Relative Valuation Techniques
- EV to EBIT ratio
- Price to Cash Flow Ratio
- Enterprise Value to Sales Ratio
- EV to EBITDA Ratio
- PEG - Price Earning Growth
- Price to Book Value Ratio
- Comparable Company Comps
- PE - Price Earning Ratio
Other valuation articles
- Economic Value Added or EVA
- Enterprise Value Formula
- Market Capitalization Formula
- Difference Between Enterprise Value vs Equity Value
- Liquidation Value Calculation
- Treasury Stock method for stock Options
- Sum of Parts or SOTP Valuation
- Difference between Enterprise Value vs Market Cap
Equity Research Books
Equity Research Careers
- How to get into Equity Research
- Finance vs Marketing - Which is better?
- Finance or Economics - Which is better?
- Finance or Consulting
- Careers Beyond Equity Research
- How to break into Equity Research from Commercial Banking
- Equity Research vs Credit Research
- Equity Research vs Private Equity
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Equity Research Jobs