ISNUMBER in excel is a logical function in excel which is used to identify whether the cells which are being referred to is a numerical value or not, if the value of the cell is a numerical value then the output returned by this function is TRUE and if there is any other value apart from numbers the output is FALSE, so for a value A21 the output will be false.
IsNumber Function in Excel
Excel ISNUMBER function is used to find out whether a particular cell contains a number or not. It returns two values which can be either true or False.
The output for the Isnumber Formula can be two results as follows:
- TRUE: It means that the particular cell has a number as a value in it.
- FALSE: It means that the particular cell does not have a number as a value in it.
The formula for Isnumber can be used in various situations, for example, if in a survey we need to find out how many houses have a house number, we can use the formula in the given cell to determine the result.
Isnumber formula can also be used to find out the number of strings in a given cell. This formula is also nested with other functions on different scenarios. We will learn about this formula in detail by a few examples.
How to Use Isnumber Function in Excel?
Using Isnumber function is very simple in Excel. The syntax to use isnumber formula is as follows:
Value is the reference cell provided to the formula to determine whether it is a number or not.
The formula returns two values true or false. True means that a cell is a number as value while false means it does not have a number as a value.
Below are the examples of Isnumber Function in excel. Isnumber can be used in various situations but it needs to be nested with other formulas as explained in example 2. In example 2 we use Find and Min function with Isnumber formula to determine the position of the number.
Let us start with the basics first. How to use Isnumber in a list of cells. For demonstration consider the below example,
We have the following above data, the first column has names and one number in it. We will use an IsNumber excel function to determine whether the cell has a number or not.
- In cell B2, write the following formula,
- Now select cell A2 as the reference value for the function,
- Close the parenthesis and press enter to see the result.
- Now drag the formula to cell B6 for the other values to be determined,
We can check in the result that the cell A4 has a number in it and the formula returned true for it, while the others were text so the result displayed was False.
Isnumber excel function can also be used to find the position of number in a string. For example, we have data of codes for employees and the codes contain numbers in them with some text characters. If we need to find the position of number in the cell it can be done by using the Isnumber formula. Consider the following data for example.
I have a random data for employee code above and we need to find the position of number in the column B cells.
- In cell C2 write the following formula,
- Press enter to see the result,
We can cross-check the result, the number is in the second position in the cell.
- Now drag the formula to last cell B6 to see the result for the rest of the data in the column.
We will also try again to find a number in a cell to see if the cell is mixed with numbers and texts. We will use the same data as example 2 and make some changes in the data. Consider the following data,
The above data has Employee codes but more than one number in it. We will find which is the first number in the given data.
- In cell C2 write the following formula
- Select the data in cell B2 as the reference cell for value,
- Close the parenthesis and press enter to see the result,
- Drag the formula to cell B6 to see the result for the rest of the cells reference provided,
We can see from the above example that if the cell is mixed with numbers and text the formula sees it as a string with text, not numbers.
Things to Remember
There are few things need to be remembered about ISNUMBER Function in Excel:
- It returns two values as output True and False.
- It needs to be nested with other formulas if we need to use this formula in complex scenarios.
- If the cell has texts and numbers both as value is number treats it as text.
This has been a guide to ISNUMBER Function in Excel. Here we provide step by step instructions to use IsNumber in Excel along with examples and downloadable excel template. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –