Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
How to Insert a Page Break in Excel?
Automatic page breaks are inserted into the excel sheet depending upon the paper size, margins, scaling. Page breaks can also be inserted manually in the worksheet. Suppose you are working in an excel sheet and you want to add a page break at the 20th row in the data.
To insert a page break in excel at the specified position, go to the Page Layout tab and click on ‘Breaks’ under the page setup group and then click on ‘Insert page break’.
A page break will be inserted in the excel sheet before the selected position.
Now, suppose you do not need a page break between column A and B and you to want to remove this page break. In Excel, an inserted page break can be also removed. To do this, select column B and click on “Breaks” in the Page Setup group under Page Layout Tab. In the top-down menu, select “Remove Page Break”.
The vertical page break will be removed.
Similarly, if you want to remove the page break inserted between row 19 and 20, firstly select the 20th row and follow the above instructions to remove the page break. The horizontal page break will be removed.
Examples to Insert a Page Break in Excel
Below are the examples of excel insert page breaks.
Suppose you have sales data for your company for four different years – 2015-18. You want to add page breaks after each year so that it can be printed separately.
To insert a page break before the beginning of the data for the year 2016, firstly select the row 19. Then go to the Page Layout tab select Breaks under the Page Setup group. In the top-down menu, select ‘Insert Page Break’.
Similarly, you can add page breaks before the beginning of the data for the year 2017 and 2018. To visualize the data in page break format, go to the View tab and select ‘Page Break Preview’.
The page breaks can be visualized in a better way in this mode.
In this mode, you can simply drag the page breaks to change the position of the page breaks.
Suppose you want to shift the page break before 2016 (19th row) to one line upward i.e., to the 18th row in the Excel sheet. To do this in the Page Break Preview mode, you can select the page break line at the 19th row and drag it upwards. The page break will be shifted one row upward.
Similarly, you can also shift the page break to one column in the right. To do this, simply drag the page break line from column F to column G and repeat.
The page break will be shifted one column in the right.
Suppose you have the revenue data for 30 different products in your company. The products are categorized on the basis of the sector it belongs to. You need to insert page breaks in excel for each of the product categories and insert a header to each page. The header should contain the name of the category such as Category 1, 2 and so on.
To insert page breaks, select the rows where a page break should be inserted.
Then go to the Breaks in the Page Layout tab and select Insert Page Break.
A page break will be inserted. Now repeat this for other rows as well.
Now go to the View tab and change the mode to Page Layout Mode.
In the Page Layout Mode, you can find ‘Click to add header’ option at the top of each page.
You can add the header ‘Category 1’ by clicking the ‘Click to add header’. You can click in the center or to the right or left. It will add the header at the space where you clicked.
However, using this method, the Category 1 will be displayed on each page. Therefore, we use an alternate method to add category labels to each page.
To add the labels, go to the Page Layout tab and click on the small button at the bottom right corner of the Page Setup group. It will open more options for the Page Setup.
In the Page Setup dialog box, go to the Header/ Footer tab and select ‘Custom Header’. In the center section in the Custom header, type Category &[Page] and select OK.
You will notice that the headers have been added appropriately in each category.
Alternatively, you can also add the headers in the left or right. These Category labels can also be added as footers. To do this, go to the Page Setup dialog box and select the Header/ Footer tab. Then select for the Custom Footer. In the opened dialog box, type the Footer as ‘Category &[Page]’ in the Center Footer section and click on OK.
The category label will appear as the footer.
To remove these labels (as header or footer), go to the Header/ Footer tab in the page setup dialog box and select none.
It will remove the header from all the pages.
You can also choose to start the category numbering from a different number. Suppose you want to add the category numbers like 51, 52, 53, and so on. To do this, simply go to the Page tab in the Page Setup dialog box.
Then in the First page number option, change Auto to 51 and select OK. The category numbering will start from 51.
Things to Remember
- The page breaks can be inserted in the Excel sheets at any specified location
- To add a page break in excel at any location, select the location (a cell or column or row). Then go to the Breaks in the Page Layout tab and select Insert page break.
- The inserted page breaks can be removed at any point of time from the Excel sheet.
- To move any page break, use the Page layout mode. Then simply drag the page break lines to shift the page breaks to left, right, up or down in a sheet.
- Headers or/and footers can be added to each page in the sheet. Page numbers can also be added to each page in the Excel sheet.
This has been a guide to Insert Page Break in Excel. Here we discuss how to Insert, Remove and Preview Page Break in Excel along with practical examples. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –
- Print Out Method in Excel VBA
- Chi-Square Test for Goodness Fit
- Examples of Running Total in Excel
- Create Bullet Points in Excel
- PI in Excel
- Select Print Area in Excel
- Insert Line Breaks in Excel
- How to Print Comments in Excel?
- Print Gridlines in Excel
- How to Print in Excel?