How to Insert a Page Break in Excel?
Below are the steps to insert a page break-in Excel
- Step 1: To insert a page break in excel at the specified position, go to the Page Layout tab and click on ‘Breaks’ under the page setup group and then click on ‘Insert page break’.
- Step 2: A page break will be inserted in the excel sheet before the selected position.
- Step 3: Now, suppose you do not need a page break between columns A and B and you to want to remove this page break. In Excel, an inserted page break can be also removed. To do this, select column B and click on “Breaks” in the Page Setup group under Page Layout Tab. In the top-down menu, select “Remove Page Break”.
The vertical page break will be removed.
Similarly, if you want to remove the page break inserted between row 19 and 20, firstly select the 20th row and follow the above instructions to remove the page break. The horizontal page break will be removed.
Below are the examples of excel insert page breaks.
Suppose you have sales data for your company for four different years – 2015-18. You want to add page breaks after each year so that it can be printed separately.
To insert a page break before the beginning of the data for the year 2016, firstly select the row 19. Then go to the Page Layout tab select Breaks under the Page Setup group. In the top-down menu, select ‘Insert Page Break’.
Similarly, you can add page breaks before the beginning of the data for the year 2017 and 2018. To visualize the data in page break format, go to the View tab and select ‘Page Break Preview’.
The page breaks can be visualized in a better way in this mode.
In this mode, you can simply drag the page breaks to change the position of the page breaks.
Suppose you want to shift the page break before 2016 (19th row) to one line upward i.e., to the 18th row in the Excel sheet. To do this in the Page Break Preview mode, you can select the page break line at the 19th row and drag it upwards. The page break will be shifted one row upward.
Similarly, you can also shift the page break to one column in the right. To do this, simply drag the page break line from column F to column G and repeat.
The page break will be shifted one column in the right.
Suppose you have the revenue data for 30 different products in your company. The products are categorized on the basis of the sector it belongs to. You need to insert page breaks in excel for each of the product categories and insert a header to each page. The header should contain the name of the category such as Category 1, 2 and so on.
To insert page breaks, select the rows where a page break should be inserted.
Then go to the Breaks in the Page Layout tab and select Insert Page Break.
A page break will be inserted. Now repeat this for other rows as well.
Now go to the View tab and change the mode to Page Layout Mode.
In the Page Layout Mode, you can find ‘Click to add header’ option at the top of each page.
You can add the header ‘Category 1’ by clicking the ‘Click to add header’. You can click in the center or to the right or left. It will add the header at the space where you clicked.
However, using this method, the Category 1 will be displayed on each page. Therefore, we use an alternate method to add category labels to each page.
To add the labels, go to the Page Layout tab and click on the small button at the bottom right corner of the Page Setup group. It will open more options for the Page Setup.
In the Page Setup dialog box, go to the Header/ Footer tab and select ‘Custom Header’. In the center section in the Custom header, type Category &[Page] and select OK.
You will notice that the headers have been added appropriately in each category.
Alternatively, you can also add the headers in the left or right. These Category labels can also be added as footers. To do this, go to the Page Setup dialog box and select the Header/ Footer tab. Then select for the Custom Footer. In the opened dialog box, type the Footer as ‘Category &[Page]’ in the Center Footer section and click on OK.
The category label will appear as the footer.
To remove these labels (as header or footer), go to the Header/ Footer tab in the page setup dialog box and select none.
It will remove the header from all the pages.
You can also choose to start the category numbering from a different number. Suppose you want to add the category numbers like 51, 52, 53, and so on. To do this, simply go to the Page tab in the Page Setup dialog box.
Then in the First page number option, change Auto to 51 and select OK. The category numbering will start from 51.
Things to Remember
- The page breaks can be inserted in the Excel sheets at any specified location
- To add a page break in excel at any location, select the location (a cell or column or row). Then go to the Breaks in the Page Layout tab and select Insert page break.
- The inserted page breaks can be removed at any point of time from the Excel sheet.
- To move any page break, use the Page layout mode. Then simply drag the page break lines to shift the page breaks to left, right, up or down in a sheet.
- Headers or/and footers can be added to each page in the sheet. Page numbers can also be added to each page in the Excel sheet.
This has been a guide to Insert Page Break in Excel. Here we discuss how to Insert, Remove and Preview Page Break in Excel along with practical examples. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –