Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Formula with Text in Excel
Excel is a great tool to do all the analysis and finalize the report. But sometimes calculation alone cannot convey the message to the reader, because every reader has their own way of looking at the report. Some people can understand the numbers just by looking at them, some needs some time to get the real story, some cannot understand at all. They need a full and clear cut explanation to everything.
In order to bring all the user to the same page while reading the report, we can add text comments to the formula to make the report easily readable.
Let us look at how we can add text in excel formulas.
#1 – Add Meaningful Words Using with Text in Excel Formula
Often in excel, we only do calculations and we are not worried about how well they convey the message to the reader. For example take a look at the below data.
By looking at the above image it is very clear that we need to find the sale value by multiplying Units to Unit Price.
Apply simple text in excel formula to get the total sales value for each salesperson.
Usually, we stop the process here itself, isn’t it?
How about showing the calculation as Anderson’s Total Sale Value is 45,657.
Yes, this looks like a complete sentence to convey a clear message to the user. Ok, let’s go ahead and frame a sentence along with the formula.
Step 1: We know the format of the sentence to be framed. Firstly, we need a Sales Person name to appear. So select the cell A2 cell.
Step 2: Now we need the word ‘s Total Sale Value is after the salesperson name. In order to comb in this text value, we need to put the ampersand (&) operator sing after selecting the first cell.
Step 3: Now we need to do the calculation to get the sale value. Put on more (ampersand) & sign and apply the formula as B*C2.
Step 4: Now hit enter to complete the formula along with our own text values.
One problem with this formula is that sales numbers are not formatted properly. Because don’t have a thousand separators, that would have made the numbers look in a proper way.
Nothing to worry we can format the numbers with TEXT in excel formula.
Edit the formula and for calculation part apply TEXT function to format the numbers as shown in the below image.
Now we have the proper format of numbers along with the sales values. TEXT in excel formula to format the calculation (B2*C2) to the format of ###, ###
#2 – Add Meaningful Words to Formula Calculations with TIME Format
Ok, we have seen how to add text values our formulas to convey the clear cut message to the readers or users. Now we will be adding text values to another calculation which includes time calculations.
I have a data of Flight departure and arrival timings. I need to calculate the total duration of each flight.
I am not only to show the total duration rather I want to show the message like this Flight Number DXS84’s total duration is 10:24:56
In the cell, D2 start the formula. Our first value is Flight Number, enter this in double quotes.
Next value we need to add is the flight number which is already there in the cell A2. Enter & symbol and select the cell A2.
Next thing we need to do is add the text ‘s Total Duration is, enter one more & symbol and enter this text in double quotes.
Now comes the most important part of the formula. We need to perform the calculation to get the total duration. After & symbol enters the formula as C2 – B2.
Our full calculation is complete. Hit enter to get the result.
Oh, hang on we got the total duration as 0.433398 which is not in the right format. Apply TEXT function to perform the calculation and format that to TIME.
#3 – Add Meaningful Words to Formula Calculations with Date Format
TEXT function can perform the formatting task when we are adding text values to get the correct number format. Now we will see in the date format.
Below is the daily sales table that we update the values regularly.
I need to automate the heading as the data keeps adding i.e. the last date should be changed as per the last day of the table.
Step 1: open the formula in A1 cell as “Consolidated Sales Data from ”.
Step 2: Put & symbol and apply TEXT in excel formula and inside the TEXT function apply MIN function to get the least date from this list. And format it as “dd-mmm-yyyy”
Step 3: Now enter the word “ to “
Step 4: Finally to get the latest date from the table apply MAX formula and format it as the date by using TEXT in excel formula.
As you update the table it will automatically update the heading as well.
Things to Remember Formula with Text in Excel
- We can add the text values according to our preferences either by using CONCATENATE function or ampersand (&) symbol.
- In order to get the correct number format use TEXT function and specify the number format that you want to display.
This has been a guide on Text in Excel Formula. Here we discuss how to Add Text in Excel Formula cell along with practical examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –