Job Description of an Accounting Clerk
An Accounting Clerk is a resource of the company which is responsible for bookkeeping, accounting, clerical and administrative tasks, keeping track of balance sheet items such and account receivables and account payables, and updating the senior management with the information and resolving their queries. They are also responsible for keeping track of invoices and bank transactions.
The accounting clerk works in the accounting department of the company. He/She takes care of accounting tasks such as maintaining the office books, reporting the financials to the senior, keeping track of various costs and revenue tracks such as invoices, and assigning them as per ledger. The accounting clerk also provides the solution to auditors’ queries related to the accounting books of the company.
Job Requirement of Accounting Clerk
- Keeping track of the invoices and sorting them as per the dates of issue.
- Keeping track of all business transactions that occurred in the given period and entering those transactions in the record book so that they can be processed.
- Supporting senior executives in financial and accounting needs.
- Keeping track of any consumer rebate and refund and put them into accounting books.
- Maintaining the record of customers that are defaulting or will default in the future and put that record into books.
- Keeping track of payment given to suppliers or the payment that will be done in the future.
- Processing of bills for payment purpose.
- Keeping track of the cash records and periodically report to the seniors regarding the same.
Skills and Responsibilities
- Must be having full knowledge of accounting principles.
- Should be responsible for providing accounting support for the department.
- Should have the skill of reconciling bank statements.
- Should have the skills of running accounting software such as SAP and Tally.
- Should have good analytical skills and must be comfortable with numbers.
- Should have the ability to keep the data responsibly and ethically and never share the data with unauthorized persons.
- The accounting clerk has to deal with people from various departments. Hence he should have good people skills and should have the ability to work with these departments.
- Should be having the willingness to work with federal or state departments if required.
- Should be very detail-oriented.
- Should remain updated with the change in accounting standards and policies.
- Should have passed out of college at least with working experience in the accounting field.
- Should have full knowledge of accounting policies and guidelines.
- Should have good communication skills both in speaking and writing.
- Should have good knowledge of computers and software.
Experience and Licensing Requirements
- Should have a relevant certificate in accounting.
- Should have experience in data entering.
- Should have the experience of MS Word, MS Excel, and accounting software.
- Should have good experience in understanding financial reports.
- Should have good attention to detail.
- Should have the experience of managing balance sheet items such as accounts receivable and account payables.
An accounting clerk is having a very important and necessary role in any company. Hence it is very important to choose a person who is very knowledgable, people-friendly and have attention to details.
4.9 (1,067 ratings) 250+ Courses | 40+ Projects | 1000+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
This has been a guide to What is Accounting Clerk Job Description & its Definition. Here we discuss the experience and licensing requirements of an accounting clerk, skills, and responsibilities along with qualifications and job requirements. You can learn more about from the following articles –