What Is Accounting Clerk Job Description?
An Accounting Clerk is a resource of the company responsible for bookkeeping, accounting, clerical and administrative tasks, keeping track of balance sheet items such as account receivables and account payables, and updating the senior management with the information resolving their queries. They are also responsible for keeping track of invoices and bank transactions.
An entry-level accounting clerk description consists of responsibilities that abridge the gap between senior accountants and management. They carry out the daily entries, and basic reconciliation, and ensure all basic documentation such as budgets, billing reports, and cost reports are up to date for final audit and scrutiny from the head accountant of the company.
Table of contents
Accounting Clerk Job Description Explained
The accounting clerk works in the accounting departmentAccounting DepartmentThe accounting department looks after preparing financial statements, maintaining a general ledger, paying bills, preparing customer bills, payroll, and more. In other words, they are responsible for managing the overall economic front of the business. of the company. They take care of accounting tasks such as maintaining the office books, reporting the financials to the senior, keeping track of various costs and revenue tracks such as invoices, and assigning them per ledger. The accounting clerk also provides the solution to auditors’ queries related to the company’s accounting books.
Let us understand the entry-level and senior accounting clerk job description through the discussion below.
- Keeping track of the invoices and sorting them as per the dates of issue.
- Keeping track of all business transactionsBusiness TransactionsA business transaction is the exchange of goods or services for cash with third parties (such as customers, vendors, etc.). The goods involved have monetary and tangible economic value, which may be recorded and presented in the company's financial statements. that occurred in the given period and entering those transactions in the record book to be processed.
- Supporting senior executives in financial and accounting needs.
- Keeping track of any consumer rebateRebateA rebate is a cashback to the customers against the purchase as a completing transaction incentive. Rebates are offered after the sale. Thus, it is a form of marketing strategy provided to the client to facilitate future transactions. and refund and put them into accounting books.
- Maintaining the record of customers that are defaulting or will default in the future and putting that record into books.
- Keep track of payments given to suppliers or the payment made in the future.
- Processing of bills for payment purpose.
- Keeping track of the cash records and periodically report to the seniors.
Skills and Responsibilities
For an entry-level accounting clerk job description, it is important for the candidate to possess the following skills and understand the responsibilities to ensure the process of accounting is unhinged and efficient.
- Must have full knowledge of accounting principles.
- Should be responsible for providing accounting support for the department.
- Should have the skill of reconciling bank statements.
- Must have skills in running accounting software such as SAP and Tally.
- Should have good analytical skills and must be comfortable with numbers.
- Should have the ability to keep the data responsibly and ethically and never share the data with unauthorized persons.
- The accounting clerk has to deal with people from various departments. Hence he should have good people skills and should have the ability to work with these departments.
- Should be willing to work with federal or state departments if required.
- It should be very detail-oriented.
- Should remain updated with the change in accounting standards and policies.
A basic qualification and additional set of certifications help a candidate fit into a senior accounting clerk job description. Let us understand them through the discussion below.
- Should have passed out of college at least with working experience in the accounting field.
- Should have full knowledge of accounting policiesAccounting PoliciesAccounting policies refer to the framework or procedure followed by the management for bookkeeping and preparation of the financial statements. It involves accounting methods and practices determined at the corporate level. and guidelines.
- Should have good communication skills both in speaking and writing.
- Should have good knowledge of computers and software.
Experience and Licensing Requirements
For any candidate with the skills in accounting, they must also possess relevant certificates for them to be able to fir into the role and fulfil the responsibilities of the job as mentioned in the company’s entry-level accounting clerk job description.
- Should have a relevant certificate in accounting.
- Should have experience in data entering.
- Should have experience with MS Word, MS Excel, and accounting software.
- Should have good experience in understanding financial reports.
- Should have good attention to detail.
- Should have experience in managing balance sheet items such as accounts receivableAccounts ReceivableAccounts receivables is the money owed to a business by clients for which the business has given services or delivered a product but has not yet collected payment. They are categorized as current assets on the balance sheet as the payments expected within a year. and account payablesAccount PayablesAccounts payable is the amount due by a business to its suppliers or vendors for the purchase of products or services. It is categorized as current liabilities on the balance sheet and must be satisfied within an accounting period..
This has been a guide to what is Accounting Clerk Job Description. Here we explain its experience & licensing requirements, skills, with qualifications. You can learn more about it from the following articles –