Overview of Construction Schedule Template
A construction schedule template gives a detailed overview of the tasks involved in the entire project and all the phases of work/construction needed to complete the project. It helps in creating a plan for a whole project with regards to the timeline or schedule would involve. It typically helps engineers to plan and complete the project in time and budget.
About the Construction Schedule Template
A construction scheduling template gives a detailed breakdown of the hierarchical structure of a complete project based on the task/deliverables which need to be accomplished by the project team or the project engineer where it gives a detailed explanation of the time and budget. It is one of the most important deliverables for every project engineer because it helps in organizing the entire project into a time-based frame. The template also has a visual chart involved which makes it easy for the project manager or the project engineer to track the progress of each activity.
How to Use the Template?
- This section is the basic details about the entire project or construction. It highlights the project name and name of the project manager or project engineer undertaking the construction. The start and end date are the key dates when the project has begun from very scratch which involved the planning of it and also the end date which involves the final wrapping up of the construction and handover.
- The total duration field helps us to find out the total number of days, months or years the project will take to attain completion. The start date along with the duration of each activity are the key criteria required for building up the Gantt chart which will be discussed later in this article.
- This is the most important section of a construction scheduling template. This is the area where the engineer or manager can check the numerous tasks involved with the construction, track the status of it, and have information about the start and end date and duration of the task.
- There are in total four status options by which all the tasks are tracked which areas completed, in progress, on hold, and not started.
- Every task involved is tagged against each status and based on this the project manager or the engineer will deploy resources. If any task is overlapping with some other or is beyond the deadline, the manager or the engineer will deploy more resources towards it accordingly.
- In this case, an example of simple building construction was taken where the entire construction schedule has been broken down into simpler activities and tagged along with a start and end date. Based on each task, a concerned person responsible is tagged against each.
- All the phases of an entire construction schedule are captured in this template starting from the phase of planning to final handover of the project. It provides both table-wise and chart-wise representation of data about the start and end date of each task involved with the construction and based on the duration of each activity the project engineer or manager has to plan out the completion date or date of hand over of the project. This involves final inspection of the building, final wrapping up, setting up the housekeeping activities, and announcing the completion.
- Overlapped activities should be the key concern of every engineer as it may require the sharing of some resources for the same and the manger or the engineer has to plan it accordingly so that they are no shortfall of resources and each of the tasks gets completed on time.
- Thus this template in combination with a Gantt chart becomes even more beneficial for the engineer or the manager. A detailed overview of visual representation by the use of the Gantt chart will be discussed in the following part below.
- This is a typical example of the Gantt chart where each construction task schedule is shown based on the start date and the duration of it and also the overlap with other tasks are visible to help the project engineer plan the task or deployment of resources accordingly.
- The chart shows all the phases of an entire construction schedule are captured in this template starting from the phase of planning to final handover of the project. Gantt chart helps the project manager or the project engineer to plan all the activities related to the construction in a systematic manner.
- Any overlap of activities should be the key concern for the engineer as it may require the sharing of some resources for the same and the manger or the engineer has to plan it accordingly so that they are no shortfall of resources and each of the tasks gets completed on time.
- A construction schedule template plays a significant role for any project engineer or manager when a big construction involving a lot of resources, time and stages is coming up.
- One cannot just start a project without proper planning. This template is a very good example to bring about proper planning when it comes to starting construction. It provides both table-wise and chart-wise representation of data about the start and end date of each task involved with the construction and based on the duration of each activity the project engineer or manager has to plan out the completion date or date of hand over of the project.
- This involves final inspection of the building, final wrapping up, setting up the housekeeping activities and announcing the completion. This template thus comes into use not only in small project projects which may involve the construction of a single building but it can also help in large infrastructure projects like construction of highways, townships, dams, power projects, flyovers, railways projects, etc. Thus is solely depends on the project manager or the engineer how the entire vision of the construction is broken down into simpler tasks or activities and planned accordingly.
This has been a guide to the construction schedule template. Here we provide you with a free downloadable construction schedule template that gives a detailed overview of the tasks involved in the entire project or phases of work.
Also, you can download and use this template in Excel, PDF or ODS format.