CFA Institute Investment Foundations Program
The CFA Institute Investment Foundations Program is a little unknown. But to get a glimpse of this examination, have a glance at the following statistics –
- Have you ever imagined that you can get a world-class certification just by investing 100 hours? If not, try Investment Foundations Program, you would understand.
- From a candidate survey, it was found that 76% of all students who pursued the Investment Foundations Program did so because they didn’t know any other avenue to build their skills in such a short time.
- The same candidate survey mentioned that 24% of the students who pursued the Investment Foundations Program did so because they knew that Investment Foundations Program could boost their career graph and offer better prospects.
- Almost 6,480 students already passed out from Investment Foundations Program.
- Unlike any other financial courses, Investment Foundations Program takes a much easier approach in the study and offers flexibility to its students. Thus the pass percentage is much more remarkable than other financial courses. It was found that more than 85% of students have passed out of Investment Foundations Program Examination till now.
- Investment Foundations Program is not only valid in Europe and the USA. This program is also available in developing countries of Asia and other parts of the world. To be specific, Investment Foundations Program is truly a globally recognized course.
CFA Institute Investment Foundations Program doesn’t need facts to prove it. The best way to experience the value of the Investment Foundations Program is to enroll in the program if you have an interest in the same. But before you do anything, give this article a read. Take out a pen and paper and if you find anything useful, write it down.
We assure you that if you read this article, you may not need to read any other article on Investment Foundations Program ever again, because we bring in all the information and tit-bits right here.
About CFA Institute Investment Foundations Program
CFA Institute Investment Foundations Program is a little unknown like any underdogs are. It’s not well known because very few people took the time and found out what’s in it for them. But if they do right away, they would see there’s so much value given under 100 hours. For example, if you can study 4 hours a day, you need 25 days to be eligible to pass this Program in flying colors. But what’s easy to do is easy not to do. Read further to know more about it.
- Roles: Investment Foundations Program is designed for entry-level professionals who want to grow in the investment domain. But if you want to update your knowledge of investment, there is no better course than this.
- Exam: Passing Investment Foundations Program’s examination is super easy. All you need to do is to sit for 100 minutes and answer 100 multiple-choice questions.
- Investment Foundations Program Exam Dates: The purpose of designing a course like the Investment Foundations Program is to offer its students much more flexibility. Thus if you want to sit for this Program, all you need to do is to sit for the exam within 6 months from the date of registration.
- The nitty-gritty: As the scope of the study is limited in this program, you don’t need to study multiple subjects. Under 100 hours, you need to go through 7 modules and a total of 20 chapters (will discuss in detail later).
Eligibility: The best part of Clarita’s Examination is that anyone can take the examination. All you need to have is a decent knowledge of English.
Why pursue Investment Foundations Program?
CFA Institute Investment Foundations Program is a course that should be pursued by anybody who wants to have basic domain knowledge in investment. If you want to start with investment analysis and don’t know where to begin, Investment Foundations Program is the best place. But don’t choose this Program because we’re saying it. You should have your reasons as well. In the beginning, we provided the statistics of why students joined the Investment Foundations Program. We will present the whole statistics here, so you can get some guiding light.
- Knowledge in any domain is an important part. Thus, from the candidate survey done on the candidates who joined the CFA Investment Foundations program, it was found that 76% of the candidates joined because of developing knowledge.
- If you do a course that doesn’t have any global recognition, would it be relevant to your industry for a long time? You would agree that it won’t. 43% of the candidates said they joined the course because of global recognition of this course.
- Everybody is not directly related to investment, but people who are indirectly related to the domain can also get the benefit of the CFA Investment Foundations Program. 30% of candidates who joined this Program said that they joined to boost up their confidence in the domain they’re working in currently.
- 27% of candidates wanted a global network to help them grow and to increase their value in the market. Thus they joined this Program.
- What’s most surprising to see is that only 24% who wanted to improve their career graph joined this Program.
Your reason for pursuance can be different than the above. But let’s see what top companies are saying about Investment Foundations Program.
What top companies have to say about Investment Foundations Program?
CFA Investment Foundations Program is a brand new course launched on 20th May 2013 at 66th CFA Institute Annual Conference in Singapore. But still, many companies are taking this course to understand all about investment. Students are still wondering about the CFA Investment Foundations Program job opportunities. Let’s see what the top 3 companies have to say about Investment Foundations Program.
- Aviva Investor: A team of employees was selected for the Investment Foundations Program Pilot course. They mentioned that it’s a good course for increasing professional credibility if somehow you’re attached to roles that need you to support investment within the domain of human resources, legal, operations, and finance. It’s certainly not a course that will reach the standard of CFA but a good course to begin within an investment, they remarked.
- BlackRock: A team from BlackRock has also participated in the pilot course. They take slightly different than what the employees at Aviva mentioned. They said that taking that course improved their internal communication and gave them a perspective on how their roles fit in the entire gamut of functions within the organization. They mentioned this Program is more appropriate for small businesses that can use its magnificent foundational knowledge on investment.
- Legal & General Investment Management: The expert in LGIM remarked that Investment Foundations Program is a course that broadens one’s perspective toward understanding where one stands in a job role. He said that it’s particularly effective for people who join the organizations as apprentices or fresh graduates.
Investment Foundations Program Format
From the above discussion, you understood that Investment Foundations Program is a program that needs 100 hours of study. But you may be wondering what exactly you need to study and how it would be relevant to your existing domain of work. In this section, we will talk about each module you need to go through and will give a brief overview of each module. Later we will talk about each chapter covered under each module.
You will be given the study materials, and all questions will come from the materials CFA institute will provide.
For an exam, all you need to do is sit for 100 minutes exam and answer 100 multiple-choice questions.
Investment Foundations Program Module
There is a total of seven modules that you need to cover under this Program. Let’s look at that one by one.
Module 1: Industry Overview
In this module, you will understand how an investment works in business – from schools to hospitals. You will understand how you will be able to help people save for the future and fund their dream businesses. The core purpose of this module is to teach you a helicopter view of investment within the purview of ethics.
Module 2: Ethics and Regulation
This module talks about the fundamentals of investment. How would you fetch a client – by getting his money or by earning his trust, reputation, and confidence? You will receive a full-proof customer-centric investment approach in this module.
Module 3: Inputs and Tools
How does business happen? How the economic perspective of business plays out at micro, macro, and global levels? You will learn how to use and deal with the economic aspect of business in this module and will also gain a big picture of all the businesses put together.
Module 4: Investment Instruments
Here you go into the depths of investment instruments. How would you use investment options? How would you invest in basic equities to bonds to specialized investment instruments like real estate and derivatives, you will learn in this module.
Module 5: Industry Structure
How does the industry help shape the investment decisions we make on an everyday basis? You will learn about the stakeholders in the industry who help you in investments and also about different markets where investment happens.
Module 6: Serving Client Needs
Learning about investments is all about serving clients’ needs and solving them. In this module, you will get to know clients through and through to serve them better.
Module 7: Industry Controls
There should be simultaneous measures to control and systematize investments. In this module, you will learn about all the control and systems that ensure the smooth running of the investments to serve the clients better.
These modules are properly designed to gain a whole view of how the investment world works. Let’s dig deep and let’s look at each chapter briefly to understand better.
Investment Foundations Program Curriculum Highlights
Module 1 –
- Chapter 1 – The Investment Industry: A Top-Down View
[Imagine you’re viewing the world of investment from a helicopter. You will get to know about financial services, types, the investment industry, and economic forces that dictate the whole functions of the industry.]
Module 2 –
- Chapter 2 – Ethics and Investment Professionalism
[You will learn about the need for ethics in the investment world, and you will be able to identify the obligations and framework for making ethical decisions.]
- Chapter 3 – Regulation
[You will get to know about regulation, objectives of regulation, and also about compliance.]
Module 3 –
- Chapter 4 – Microeconomics
[You will learn the basic economics, divisions, demand & supply, market equilibrium, production & cost functions, pricing, and how market structures affect investments.]
- Chapter 5 – Macroeconomics
[After reading this chapter, you would be able to understand economic indicators, the need for macroeconomic consideration, components of GDP, economic indicators, business cycles, and monetary & fiscal policies.]
- Chapter 6 – Economics of International Trade
[You will learn about import, export, the balance of payments, and many specialized definitions of international trade.]
- Chapter 7 – Financial Statements
[Learning to see and understand financial statements is a great skill. You will learn how to see balance sheet, trial balance, and link between two figures via ratio analysis. You will also learn about the cash flow statement.]
- Chapter 8 – Quantitative Concepts
[You will get to know about the nitty-gritty of financial concepts. From the time value of money to interpreting correlation, you would be able to get to know every fundamental concept of finance from this chapter.]
Module 4 –
- Chapter 9 – Debt Securities
[From discounted cash flow valuation to bonds, from risk in investing in debt securities to credit spread, you will learn a lot from this chapter.]
- Chapter 10 – Equity Securities
[In this chapter, you will learn about equity and a comparative analysis between equity & debt securities.]
- Chapter 11 – Derivatives
[You will get to know everything about derivatives and get a good understanding of forwards, futures, swaps & options.]
- Chapter 12 – Alternative Investments
[You will learn about private equity investments, real estate investments, and commodity investments from this chapter.]
Module 5 –
- Chapter 13 – Structure of the Investment Industry
[You will learn about investment management and investment information services, and you will also gain insights about brokers and dealers.]
- Chapter 14 – Investment Vehicles
[You will get to know about hedge funds, mutual funds, and managed accounts.]
- Chapter 15 – The Functioning of Financial Markets
[You will understand the difference between primary and secondary markets; you will also know about private placements, public offerings, and right issues.]
Module 6 –
- Chapter 16 – Investors and Their needs
[You will get to know different types and their different needs and how to structure investment policy for serving client needs.]
- Chapter 17 – Investment Management
[You will learn about systematic & specific risk and also about investment objectives and constraints.]
Module 7 –
- Chapter 18 – Risk Management
[You will learn all about risk in investments and how to mitigate and manage it.]
- Chapter 19 – Performance Evaluation
[This chapter will teach you the process of performance evaluation and how to measure performance via different methods and tools. You will also learn the concept of alpha and uses of performance attribution.]
- Chapter 20 – Investment Industry Documentation
[After learning everything, this chapter is specifically designed to teach you about documentation and how to do document management.]
Investment Foundations Program Weights / Breakdown
CFA institute says that you need to study 100 hours to be able to clear this Program. To give proportionate importance to each module, you need to know how the breakdown is being done. Here’s the percentage of weights given to each module.
You need to give more importance to Module 3, 4, 5, and 7. Then there comes Module 2 and finally Module 1 & 6 in order of importance.
You pursue this Program for no cost at all as the CFA Institute offers the program for free through its digital platform, namely Learning Ecosystem.
Exam Results & Passing Rates
- Over the period, the passing rate of the exam has remained above 80%, which indicates that the exam is relatively easy.
- After you finish your exam, you will get a “pass” or “did not pass” notification on the screen. Within 5 days after the exam, you will get an official email stating whether you pass or not pass the exam.
- If you pass the exam, you will get the certificate within 4-6 weeks.
- If you don’t pass, the institute will offer you information about how you performed in each module to improve in your next attempt.
- If you don’t pass the exam within the 6 months window, you can re-take the exam without re-registration. You can register twice a year and each registration permits you two attempts.
The CFA Institute is providing Investment Foundations Program Study Material. All you need to do is dive in and invest a good amount of time every day to prepare for the exam.
Strategies to Pass
As CFA Institute has mentioned that you need to study 100 hours for the exam, the general tendency is to study for only 100 hours or less to pass the exam. To ensure that you pass the exam on the first attempt, study better and study more since the beginning. Here’s the plan.
- You will get the study planner along with the study material provided by the CFA Institute. Use it well.
- You will get 180 days to study for this Program. So, each day if you study even one hour, you will be able to study at least 180 hours.
- If you want to pass the exam on the first attempt, it’s better to study for a minimum of 200 hours. The first 100 hours should be invested in reading all the chapters. The next 50 hours would be invested in the first revision. And the last 50 hours would be divided into second revision and attempting mock tests.
- If you are a sincere student, you would be able to crack the Investment Foundations Program very easily.
Wondering what the difference between Investment Foundations Program and the CFA examination is, you may have a look at this detailed comparison on CFA vs. Investment Foundations Program.
I wish you all the luck with your Investment Foundations Program. Remember, it can add tremendous value to you if you sincerely study and approach the exam with the right preparation. From the above, we can conclude that Investment Foundations Program is not for everyone. People who want a more in-depth knowledge of investment should go for IMC (Investment Management Certificate) or CFA. But if you are the one who supports investment roles, this Program is the perfect course for you to begin with.
This has been a guide to CFA Institute Investment Foundations Program. Here we discuss the Nuts & Bolts of the this Program, why you should pursue it, its fees, structure, passing strategies, tips, and tricks, etc. You may also have a look at the following articles –