What is Strikethrough in Excel?
Strikethrough is a feature in excel which puts a line between cells, if the cells have some values then the value has a line mark over it, it is a type of format in excel which can be accessed from format cells tab while right-clicking on it or from the excel keyboard shortcut CTRL + 1 from the numeric tab of the keyboard, to remove a strikethrough the process is same.
Top 5 Methods to use Strikethrough in Excel
Below are the different Methods of Using Strikethrough Shortcut in Excel.
- Using Excel Shortcut Key
- Using Format Cell Options
- Using from Quick Access Toolbar
- Using it from Excel Ribbon
- Using Dynamic Conditional Formating
Let’s discuss each method in detail with an example –
Method #1 – Strikethrough Using the Excel Shortcut Key
- Step 1: Select the cells in which we need the strikethrough format.
- Step 2: Once the cells are selected then simply use excel strikethrough shortcut key that is Ctrl+5 and the data will strikeout.
Method #2 – Strikethrough Using the Format Cells Option
- Step 1: Select the cells that need this format and then right-click on the cell and choose the option of “Format Cell”.
- Step 2: Now go to the font Tab and Select the “Strikethrough” option and Click Ok.
Step 3: After clicking on “Ok” the cell will get the format of strikethrough.
Method #3 – Strikethrough Using this option from Quick Access Toolbar
By default, this option is not available in the ribbon and in the Quick Access toolbar. So we will now add this to the toolbar.
- Step 1: Click on Ribbon and Go to the Customize Quick Access Toolbar.
- Step 2: From the “Choose commands from” option choose to display those commands that are not in Ribbon.
- Step 3: Select the Strikethrough Command and click on “Add” and click on ok.
- Step 4: After the option is added then it will appear below.
- Step 5: Select the data which you want to Strikethrough and Click on Strikethrough as shown in below Screenshot.
- It will Strikethrough the selected cells.
Method #4 – Using it from Excel Ribbon
- Step 1: Right-click on the “Font” tab and choose the option of “Customize the ribbon”.
- Step 2: From the options tab choose to add “New Tab” and choose the “Strikethrough” option and click on OK.
- Step 3: After the option is added in a new tab, this will appear below in the “ribbon”.
Step 4: Select the cells which you want to Strikethrough and Go to the New tab and Click on Strikethrough from New group.
Method #5 – Using the dynamic conditional formatting option
- Step 1: Choose the range where we want to apply the conditional formatting and click on the “Condition formatting” option then click on New Rule.
- Step 2: Click on “Use a Formula to determine which cells to Format” and write the Formula as (=B2=”Yes”) then, click on Format.
Step 3: Go to Font then, Check the Strikethrough Option and Click on Ok.
Step 4: After the conditional formatting is done, Excel will automatically strikeout the text.
Things to Remember
- Excel Strikethrough Shortcut is only a way to display the text that is in the cell. This does not change the value of the cell. For example “TEXT” is the same as “TEXT” for Excel and formulas.
- The same steps are to be followed to remove strikethrough as followed to apply this.
- If we only want a certain part of cell value to strikethrough then we have to select that part instead of selecting the complete cell.
- If we are using conditional formatting for strikethrough, then we should keep in mind that the reference of the range must not be absolute range and must be a relative range reference.
- While adding the shortcut of the strike, this should be kept in mind that we cannot edit the tabs that are created by excel. This means that we cannot add this option to the “Font” tab as this is a default tab that cannot be edited in any way.
This has been a guide to Strikethrough Shortcuts in Excel. Here we discuss how to Strikethrough in Excel using Keyboard shortcut along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –