Table of Contents
- What is Strikethrough in Excel?
What is Strikethrough in Excel?
Ever wondered how we can cut a task that is already completed from the “To Do List” that we have created in excel before sharing that with our team?
Ever want to know how we can cut an already completed task form the project sheet that has various levels of tasks for project completion?
Yes, we can do this in excel by using the feature that is called “Strikethrough”. This option comes in handy when using Microsoft word but when it comes to using Excel this feature can create a mess as we need to do certain steps to make to cross the text in excel.
Strikethrough option belongs to the “Font “Category of excel features and is used to format the text. This does not add any value to the cell but is just a way to display the text that is in the cell.
Top 5 ways to use Strikethrough in Excel
Below are the different Methods of Using Strikethrough Shortcut in Excel.
Method #1 – Strikethrough Using the Excel Shortcut Key
Step 1: Select the cells in which we need the strikethrough format.
Step 2: Once the cells are selected then simply use excel strikethrough shortcut key that is Ctrl+5 and the data will strikeout.
Method #2 – Strikethrough Using the Format Cells Option
Step 1: Select the cells that need this format and then right click on the cell and choose the option of “Format Cell”.
Step 2: Now go to the font Tab and Select the “Strikethrough” option and Click Ok.
After clicking on “Ok” the cell will get the format of strikethrough.
Method #3 – Strikethrough Using this option from Quick Access Toolbar
By default this option is not available in ribbon and in Quick access toolbar. So we will now add this to the toolbar.
Step 1: Click on Ribbon and Go to the Customize Quick Access Toolbar.
Step 2: From the “Choose commands from” option choose to display those commands that are not in Ribbon.
Step 3: Select the Strikethrough Command and click on “Add” and click on ok.
Step 4: After the option is added then it will appear below.
Step 5: Select the data which you want to Strikethrough and Click on Strikethrough as shown in below Screenshot.
- It will Strikethrough the selected cells.
Method #4 – Using it from Excel Ribbon
Step 1: Right click on the “Font” tab and choose the option of “Customize the ribbon”.
Step 2: From the options tab choose to add “New Tab” and choose the “Strikethrough” option and click on OK.
Step 3: After the option is added in a new tab, this will appear as below in the “ribbon”.
Select the cells which you want to Strikethrough and Go to New tab and Click on Strikethrough from New group.
Method #5 – Using the dynamic conditional formatting option
Step 1: Choose the range where we want to apply the conditional formatting and click on “Condition formatting” option then click on New rule.
Step 2: Click on “Use a Formula to determine which cells to Format”and write the Formula as (=B2=”Yes”) then, click on Format.
Go to Font then, Check the Strikethrough Option and Click on Ok.
Step 3: After the conditional formatting is done, Excel will automatically strikeout the text.
Things to Remember About Strikethrough in Excel
- Excel Strikethrough Shortcut is only a way to display the Text that is in the cell. This does not change the value of the cell. For example “TEXT” is same as “TEXT” for Excel and formulas.
- Same steps are to be followed to remove strikethrough as followed to apply this.
- If we only want a certain part of cell value to strikethrough then we have to select that part instead of selecting the complete cell.
- If we are using conditional formatting for strikethrough, then we should keep in mind that the reference of the range must not be absolute range and must be a relative range reference.
- While adding the shortcut of the strike, this should be kept in mind that we cannot edit the tabs that are created by excel. This means that we cannot add this option to the “Font” tab as this is a default tab that cannot be edited in any way.
You can download this Strikethrough Shortcuts Excel template here – Strikethrough Shortcuts Excel Template
This has been a guide to Strikethrough Shortcuts in Excel. Here we discuss how to Strikethrough in Excel using Keyboard shortcut along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –