Full Form of HRD
The Full Form of HRD is Human Resource Development. HRD is a series of planned processes that aim towards the enhancement of knowledge, skill, personal development, well being and lifelong learning & training of the workforce or human resources at an individual, organizational, regional and national level for creating effectiveness & better workplace environment for the organization & employees.
- HRD is a continuous & ongoing process. From the joining of the employee to the retirement of the employee from the organization, Human Resource Development continuously provides the education & training for developing all types of skills of employees.
- HRD is a systematic process that is carefully planned for the overall development of the workforce of an organization. HRD applies to all types of industries like the manufacturing industry, service industry, etc.
- HRD does not only focus on one behavior or onset of the skill of an employee. It focuses on the all-round development of the employee by focusing on its behaviors, mechanical skills, communication skill & managerial skills, etc.
- HRD involves different types of training and educations as per the requirement i.e counseling, career development, training, performance appraisals, etc.
- Human Resource Development’s main objective is to provide the necessary training & education to the workforce for increasing the effectiveness of the workforce & helps the management & organization to reach their goals, visions & missions planned.
- The continuous development & training of the employees develop the professionalism in the employee and increase the work or field area cover by an employee, which increases the adaptability of the employee with the dynamic changes made within the organization.
- Human Resource Management ensures that the cultural behavior in the organization is favorable to the other new joining employees or for the employees that may join the future i.e., ensuring there is no kind of discrimination within the workforce of the organization, there is equality behavior between the employees, etc.
There are many different Human Resource Development programs, some of them are explained below:
- Job Training – In this HRD program, the hired employee is given the required knowledge & skill to perform the task for which he is appointed.
- Job Shadowing – In this HRD program, the employee observes the other experienced & knowledgeable employee working & performing through which the hired employee learns the functions & necessary skills to perform the task.
- Seminars & Training -The organization arranges different seminars & training for specific job profiles for enhancing the knowledge of the employee working in the same field. In other programs, organizations provide different courses for the employees and also provide the certificate after their completion of course.
The functions of HRD are as follows-
- HRD works towards the Training & educational development of employees of the organization.
- HRD provides performance appraisal to employees for appraising them for their good works.
- HRD creates succession planning for the post or work duty by educating the employees and making them competent enough to manage more responsibilities.
- HRD ease the importance of the involvement of employees in the management of the organization.
All of the organizations hire their employees who have basic knowledge of the work that has been provided to them. Through the passing of time or say experience, the employee learns the requirements & the processes that need to be followed for the work. Human Resource Development takes the responsibility of educating the employees & provide them the important learnings & training that are found necessary for the workforce, for creating effectiveness in the work management of the organization.
- Human Resource Development provides necessary training & education to employees which increases their competency for the provided profile & also enhances their skills to take on more responsibility provided by the organization.
- HRD exploits the hidden potential of the employee for their benefit as well as an organization’s benefit by increasing the rate of development of the organization.
- HRD provides the cultural benefit to the organization by creating superior relationship management between a senior & junior, enhancement in teamwork between different business units which increases the transparency & smooth processing within the entity.
Difference Between HRD and HRM
- Both Human Resource Development (HRD) & Human Resource Management (HRM) plays a vital role in the development & management of employees & organization. But both are quite different terms:
- HRD processes focus on the development in knowledge, skills, and behavior of an employee whereas the HRM focuses on the Recruitment, Reward & Retirement of an employee.
- HRM department is an individual department that has its functionality & objectives irrespective of the other business unit departments whereas Human Resource Development is a cooperative & interconnected structure that performs its function with interrelating the different units of the organization.
- HRM utilizes the function of providing the monetary benefits, schemes or rewards and recruiting employees & laborers whereas HRD utilizes the features of education, training, personal development, etc. for the development of employees as well as organization.
- Through Human Resource Development, an organization can create an elite workforce that manages the operations & helps the organization to achieve its goals.
- Human Resource Development programs help in maintaining the favorable culture within the organization that also helps in keeping motivation levels within the employees high.
- A well planned & managed Human Resource Development program helps the entity to acquire or attract the top talents in the required field of area. And regular training and education enable their employees & workforce to take on other hard works or more responsibilities that help the management to decide for the succession.
Human Resource Development believes in the Human Potential & its development and focuses on the optimum utilization of human resources of an organization. The performance of an enterprise depends upon the efficiency & effectiveness of its working staff and management, HRD focusses on developing those personal skills of employees and creating the culture of continuous improvement within the workforce thus enabling the greater efficiency and effectiveness of the workforce. HRD provides an opportunity for the employees through their continuous growth & improvement by creating succession & career growth planning.
This has been a guide to the Full Form of HRD and its definition. Here we discuss features, objectives, types of Human Resource Development along with its functions and benefits. You may refer to the following articles to learn more about finance –