Free Project Timeline Template
Project Timeline Template is a very popular tool used in project management scope or area where it offers immense help to project managers in tracking the timeline i.e. start and end date of each and every task of an entire project and plan its completion accordingly in a well-defined manner.
About the Template
The main utility of the project tracking template is that it captures all the stages that are crucial for every project completion. The template is convenient for every project manager and project engineer. In total, there is a total of four stages or status, which we find in this template.
- The first one is “complete” status, which means the particular activity is completed.
- The second one is the “In progress” status, which signifies that the activity is under process.
- The third status is the “Hold” one, which means that due to some reasons, the project manager has put a hold to the activity and will soon continue with when the situation looks favorable.
Finally, we have “Not Started,” which means the activity has not begun yet, and the project manager will take a call regarding the start of the activity. Based on each task or activity, the project manager allots resources accordingly. On chances of overlapping in tasks with each other, the manager has to take a call accordingly where he can go for resource sharing or addition of more resources.
In case if an activity that has extended its deadline, the project tracking template can also help in those scenarios. It is a crucial report for both project engineers and project managers because it assists them to visualize the entire project on a piece of paper or computer screen and allot time accordingly to each activity. The visual chart, which comes with this template, also makes it even more useful to the project manager or the engineer to comfortably understand the different tasks and phases involved in project completion.
How to use the Project Timeline Template?
- It is the section of the template where all the basic information about the project gets captured. It is more personal details based, and the details about the project manager, start and end date of the project get notified. The project name and project manager’s name undertaking the construction is denoted here.
- The initial date when the project name has begun from its very inception to the estimated end date when the project is supposed to be completed is mentioned here.
- The end date and start date are very crucial to every project manager since the entire activity has to be planned accordingly, starting from the beginning of the project to completion and handover to the client.
- . The total duration field helps us to estimate the number of days, months, or years required for the completion of the project. Both start and end date are crucial since it helps us build the required Gantt chart, which acts as a visual graph supporting the template.
- The most utilized and needed part of every project timeline template is thus the section mentioned above. It is generally filled with loads of information based on each task or activity of the project. The project manager plans accordingly based on the information which is filled in this section.
- Both tracking and monitoring of each stage or task of the project can happen based on this section. Here we will find the different tasks and further sub-tasks of the project broken to help the project manager monitor the entire project with much ease. In sum total, there is a total of four stages or status which we find in this template. The first one is “complete” status, which means the particular activity is completed.
- The second one is the “In progress” status, which signifies that the activity is under process. The third status is the “Hold” one, which means due to some reasons, the project manager has put a hold to the activity and will soon continue with when the situation looks favorable.
- Finally, we have “Not Started,” which means the activity has not begun yet, and the project manager will take a call regarding the start of the activity. Based on each status, the project manager will allocate resources accordingly to different tasks pending in the project due course.
- We have taken here an example of a simple construction project where a building is being built, and the entire project is broken down into simpler tasks, and every task has been given a start date and end date. Based on this, the whole project needs to be completed and handed over.
- The handover involves final wrap up, setting the house-keeping, and announcement of completion. In the project, timeline overlapped activities are the areas where the project manager needs to be very careful and make sure resources and time are allotted accordingly so that it does not hamper any other task.
- This template comes in combination with a Gantt chart which makes it even easier for the project manager to understand different task which is involved with the project. An overview of the Gantt chart will be discussed in the following paragraph.
- The Gantt chart is a convenient graph for every project manager. It shows the entire project task schedule based on the start date and the duration of it. Also, the overlap with other tasks is visible to help the project engineer plan the task or deployment of resources accordingly.
- Any overlap of tasks can also be easily traced out here, and thus it provides help to project managers to allocate resources accordingly. A visual representation always proves beneficial in these kinds of scenarios where the project manager or the project engineer wants to control or monitor the entire project based on the start date and end date of each task and activities.
The project timeline template offers a lot of help to every project manager or project engineer who tends to use this. It is also a very popularly used tool in project management scope. It brings about a lot of agility to the scope of tracking or monitoring where the project manager can easily track every stage or task of the project and plan its completion in a well-organized manner.
This article has been a guide to Project Timeline Template. Here we provide you with a free project timeline template that is used in the project management scope. Also, you can download and use this template in Excel, PDF, or ODS format.
Below are the recommended articles that you may find useful –