Investment Banking Tutorials
- Investment Banking Free Course
- Investment Banking Basics
- What is Investment Banking? (Overview of what do they actually do!)
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
- Equity Research in an Investment Bank
- What is Asset Management Company AMC
- Sales and Trading in Investment Banking
- Private Placement, IPO and FPO in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking – Underwriters and Market Makers
- Investment Banking – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Banking – Restructuring and Reorganisation
- Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities
- Market Makers
- Propreitary Trading
- Top 4 Must Know Investment Banking Charts (Free Download Template included)
- Pitch Book | Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Book (Examples)
- Leverage buyout Lbo Analysis
- Trading Floor
- Market Order vs Limit Order
- Merchant Bank
- Best Investment Banking Books
- Nasdaq vs Dow Jones
- Nasdaq vs Nyse
- Investment Banking Careers
- Investment Banking Interview Questions (with Answers)
- How to get into Investment Banking?
- Investment Banking Job Description
- Investment Banking Associate Salary
- Investment Banking Job For Graduates (Engineers) | Top 8 Tips
- How to get an Investment Banking Internship?
- Top 10 Finance Certifications Programs
- Investment Banking Lifestyle
- Investment Banking Exit Opportunities
- Investment Banking Case Studies
- Top 10 Best Finance courses (with Online Certification)
- Investor Relation Job Description
- Financial Analyst Job Description
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investment Banking vs Asset Management
- Commercial Banking vs Merchant Banking
- Investment Banking vs Corporate Banking
- Portfolio Management vs Investment Banking
- Investment Banking vs Hedge Fund Manager
- Investment Banking vs Investment Management
- Investment Banking vs Private Equity
- Careers in Trading
- Investment Banking Firms
- Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks
- Top Middle Market Investment Banks
- Top Boutique Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Dubai
- Investment Banking in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking in Russia
- Investment Banking in Brazil
- Investment Banking in China
- Investment Banking in Australia
- Investment Banking in Saudi Arabia
- Investment Banking in Singapore
- Investment Banking in London (UK)
- Investment Banking in India
- Investment Banking in Ireland
- Investment Banking in South Africa
- Investment Banking in Canada
- Investment Banking in Germany
- Investment Banking in France
- Investment Banking in Malaysia
- Investment Banking in Philippines
- Investment Banking in Boston
- Investment Banking in San Francisco
- Top Banks
- Top Banks in Australia
- Top Banks In Austria
- Top Banks In Bahrain
- Top Banks In Belgium
- Top Banks In Bermuda
- Top Banks In British Virgin Islands
- Top Banks In Brunei
- Top Banks In Canada
- Top Banks In Cayman Islands
- Top Banks In Denmark
- Top Banks In Finland
- Top Banks In France
- Top Banks In Germany
- Top Banks In Greenland
- Top Banks In Guernsey
- Top Banks In Ireland
- Top Banks In Isle of Man
- Top Banks In Japan
- Top Banks In Kuwait
- Top Banks In Liechtenstein
- Top Banks In Luxembourg
- Top Banks In Macau
- Top Banks In Norway
- Top Banks In Oman
- Top Banks in Pakistan
- Top Banks in Philippines
- Top Banks In Puerto Rico
- Top Banks In Qatar
- Top Banks In Saudi Arabia
- Top Banks In Singapore
- Top Banks In South Korea
- Top Banks In Sweden
- Top Banks In Switzerland
- Top Banks in UAE
- Top Banks in United Kingdom
- Top Banks in USA
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
Overview of Banks in Cayman Islands
As per Moody’s Investors Service, the banking system in the Cayman Islands is quite stable. There are few reasons behind that –
- The institutional framework and sound macroeconomic policies allow the economy of the Cayman Islands to remain stable.
- The debt burden of the government is comparatively lower.
- The per capita income is quite high which prevents the Cayman Islands from any weather-related shock.
- The fiscal oversight of the UK also has kept the Cayman Islands sound in economic matters.
Since the income is pretty high and the debt is tepid, it’s expected that the rating of Moody’s Investors Service would remain similar in near future as well.
Structure of Banks in Cayman Islands
There are total 158 banks in Cayman Islands. Out of these huge numbers of banks, most of the banks are subsidiaries of foreign banks. The Cayman Islands is also considered to be one of the leading financial centres in the world. Around US $80 billion deposits are being booked through the banks situated in the Cayman Islands.
The Cayman Islands Monetary Authority issues mainly the following licenses (in regards to banking) as per the Banks and Trust Companies Law –
- “Category A” banking license: This license allows the banks to both operate in local and international territories. At the same time, these banks have the right to provide services to local and international customers. Only 11 banks are given the “Category A” banking license in the Cayman Islands.
- “Category B” banking license: This license allows the banks to provide international banking services only to non-residents of the territory and offer domestic banking services only to residents of the territory. The rest of the banks (around 147 banks) are offered “Category B” banking license.
Top Banks in Cayman Islands
Here is the list of top 10 banks in Cayman Islands –
#1. Cayman National Bank:
Cayman National Bank has received a “Category A” banking license. It was established in the year 1974, around 43 years ago. At the end of 2016, the total assets acquired by Cayman National Bank were US $1337 million. In the same year the total income of the bank was US $62.46 million. It has been providing financial products and services like investment services, online banking, premier banking, and fund management. The head-quarter of this bank is located in Grand Cayman.
#2. Cainvest Bank and Trust Limited:
This is comparatively a new bank in Cayman Islands. It has received a “Category A” banking license. In the year 1994, this bank purchased Intertrust Bank (Cayman) Limited and Cainvest International Bank Limited was created. Later, in the year 2015, the name was changed to Cainvest Bank and Trust Limited. The head-quarter of this bank is located in George town. This bank provides private banking and investment products and services to local and international customers. They also have presence in Brazil, Uruguye, and Argentina.
#3. Merrill Lynch Bank and Trust Company (Cayman) Ltd.:
This top bank in Cayman Islands has received a “Category A” banking license. This bank is popular for running operations in banking and in trust-related issues. Merrill Lynch Bank and Trust Company (Cayman) Ltd. also helps the affiliates of these trusts (who can be high net-worth individuals, client corporations, or financial institutions etc.). This bank also offers many banking products and services like secured loans, foreign exchange transactions, deposits from high net-worth individuals etc.
#4. Fidelity Bank (Cayman) Ltd.:
This top bank in Cayman Islands also holds a “Category A” banking license. This bank was established in the year 1980, around 37 years ago. Fidelity Bank (Cayman) Ltd. is one of most comprehensive financial institutions of the Cayman Islands. It serves all sorts of customers – from local to international customers. It provides a broad range of financial products and services like insurance, international banking etc.
#5. Alexandria Bancorp Ltd.:
This top bank in Cayman Islands holds a “Category B” banking license. It was founded in the year 1990, around 27 years ago. It is one of the most significant foreign banks situated in the Cayman Islands. Alexandria Bancorp Ltd. is one of its kinds because it can provide both banking and trustee services to the foreign clients. The focus of Alexandria Bancorp Ltd. is on corporate & trust services, private banking, and wealth management.
#6. Trident Trust Company (Cayman) Ltd.:
Trident Trust Company (Cayman) Ltd. holds a “Category B” banking license. It serves mainly the accounting firms, brokerage firms, law firms, high net-worth individuals and other banks. It has employed around 800 people. It has a global reach and it has presence in Asia, the America, Africa, the Caribbean, the Middle East, and Europe. It is one of leading financial institutions in the Cayman Islands and it also offers corporate formation, administration, and fiduciary services.
#7. Alhambra Bank & Trust Ltd.:
This top bank in Cayman Islands holds a “Category B” banking license. It was recently established in the year 2014, just 3 years ago. It offers a broader range of financial and investment services. Its main focus is high net-worth individuals who can deposit a huge sum into the bank’s accounts. Alhambra Bank & Trust Ltd. provides services to non-US residents and they have set the minimum deposit money for high net-worth individuals is US $1 million.
#8. VBT Bank & Trust Ltd.:
This top bank in Cayman Islands holds a license of “Category B” banking. It is a noteworthy member of the Cayman Islands Stock Exchange. It is the wholly owned subsidiary of VBT Holdings Ltd. After acquiring Venecredit International Banking Ltd. in the year 1998, this bank was named Venecredit Bank & Trust Ltd. In the year 2012, this bank changed its name from Venecredit Bank & Trust Ltd. to VBT Bank & Trust Ltd.
#9. Sackville Bank and Trust Company Ltd.:
This top bank in Cayman Islands also holds a “Category B” banking license. This is a private boutique bank. It is one of the noteworthy boutique banks in the Cayman Islands which provide fiduciary services for trust and corporate structures. It also offers strategic investment solutions and custodial services. It is also an independent bank.
#10. Queensgate Bank and Trust Company Ltd.:
This top bank in Cayman Islands also holds a “Category B” banking license. It was established in the year 1990, around 27 years ago. This bank is the member of Ugland Group of Norway. The main focus of Queensgate Bank and Trust Company Ltd. is to offer banking services, investment funds, trust & company administration, and accounting.
We hope you liked this guide to top banks in Cayman Islands. If you are looking forward to making a career in Banking, then you can checkout some of the awesome resources –
- Top 10 Best Banks in Pakistan
- 10 Top Best Banks in UAE
- Top Bank in United Kingdom
- Top Bank in Luxembourg
- Top Bank in Greenland
- Top Bank in Brunei
- Top Bank in Singapore
- Top Bank in Qatar
- 10 Top Bank in Denmark
- Best Bank in Saudi Arabia
- Bank in Liechtenstein
- Bank in Puerto Rico
- Bank in Sweden
- Bank in South Korea