What do You Mean by Excel Dynamic Named Range?
Dynamic named range in excel are the ranges which change as the data in the range changes and so does the dashboard or charts or reports associated with them, that is why it is called dynamic and we can name the range from the name box so the name as dynamic name range, to make a table as dynamic named range, select the data and insert a table and then name the table.
How to Create Excel Dynamic Named Range? (Step by Step)
- Step 1: Create a list of months from Jan to Jun.
- Step 2: Go to the Define Name tab.
- Step 3: Click on that and give a name to it.
- Step 4: Create data validation for Month List.
- Step 5: Click on the data validation and the below box will open.
- Step 6: Select LIST from the drop-down.
- Step 7: Select list and in Source give you the name you defined for the month list.
- Step 8: Now, the drop-down list has created.
- Step 9: Now add the remaining 6 months to the list.
- Step 10: Now, go back and check the drop-down list you have created in the previous step. It is still showing only the first 6 months is. Whatever you have added later it will not show.
- Step 11: Define a new name under the define name section.
- Step 12: Give a name to your list and select the range.
- Step 13: Now, under Refers to section apply the formula as shown in the below image.
Step 14: Now, go back and check the drop-down list you have created in the previous step. Now it will show all the 12 months in the drop-down list. You can anything in that column.
Named Manager will dynamically update the dropdown list whenever the data expands.
Rules for Creating Dynamic Named Range in Excel
You need to keep in mind certain things while defining the names. Follow the below rules from Microsoft, which are pre-determined.
- The first letter of the name should begin with a letter or underscore (_) or backslash (\)
- You cannot give any space in between two words.
- You cannot give cell reference as your name, for example, A50, B10, C55, etc..
- The letter like C, c, R, r cannot be used because excel uses then as selection shortcuts.
- Define Names is not case sensitive. MONTHS and months both are the same.
This has been a guide to a dynamic named range in excel. Here we discuss how to create a dynamic range in excel along with practical examples and downloadable templates. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –