What do You Mean by Excel Dynamic Named Range?
Dynamic named range in excel are the ranges which change as the data in the range changes and so does the dashboard or charts or reports associated with them, that is why it is called dynamic and we can name the range from the name box so the name as dynamic name range, to make a table as dynamic named range, select the data and insert a table and then name the table.
How to Create Excel Dynamic Named Range? (Step by Step)
Below are steps to create excel dynamic named range –
- Create a list of months from Jan to Jun.
- Go to the Define Name tab.
- Click on that and give a name to it.
- Create data validation for Month List.
- Click on the data validationData ValidationThe data validation in excel helps control the kind of input entered by a user in the worksheet., and the below box will open.
- Select the LIST from the drop-down.
- Select the list, and in Source, give you the name you defined for the month list.
- Now, the drop-down list has been created.
- Now add the remaining 6 months to the list.
- Now, go back and check the drop-down list you have created in the previous step. It is still showing only the first 6 months is. Whatever you have added later, it will not show.
- Define a new name under the defined name section.
- Give a name to your list and select the range.
- Now, under Refers to section, apply the formula as shown in the below image.
- Now, go back and check the drop-down list you have created in the previous step. Now it will show all the 12 months in the drop-down list. You can see anything in that column.
Named Manager will dynamically update the dropdown list whenever the data expands.
Rules for Creating Dynamic Named Range in Excel
You need to keep in mind certain things while defining the names. Follow the below rules from Microsoft, which are pre-determined.
- The first letter of the name should begin with a letter or underscore (_) or backslash ()
- You cannot give any space in between two words.
- You cannot give cell referenceCell ReferenceCell reference in excel is referring the other cells to a cell to use its values or properties. For instance, if we have data in cell A2 and want to use that in cell A1, use =A2 in cell A1, and this will copy the A2 value in A1. as your name, for example, A50, B10, C55, etc..
- The letter like C, c, R, r cannot be used because excel uses then as selection shortcuts.
- Define Names is not case sensitive. MONTHS and months both are the same.
This has been a guide to a dynamic named range in excel. Here we discuss how to create a dynamic range in excel along with practical examples and downloadable templates. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –