Formula to Calculate Net Income
Net Income formula is used for the calculation of the net income of the Company. It is the most important number for the Company, analysts, investors, and shareholders of the Company as it measures the profit earned by the Company over a period of time.
Net Income = Total Revenues – Total Expenses.
- Net Income or Net profit is calculated so that investors can measure the amount by which the total revenue exceeds the total expenses of the Company.
- Total revenue includes earnings from the sale of goods and services, interest income, and Income from the sale of the business or other Income.
- Total expenses include the cost of goods and services sold, operating expenses like salaries and wages, office maintenance, utilities and depreciation, and amortization, interest income, and taxes.
Company ABC Inc. had revenue from the sale of $ 100,000 for the year 2017. It paid $ 20,000 as employee wages, $ 50,000 for raw materials and goods, $ 5,000 for other office and factory maintenance expenses. The Company had interest income of $ 3000 and paid $ 2500 in taxes. What is the net income of the Company ABC Inc.?
The Total revenue of the Company = Revenue from sale + Interest Income
- Total revenue = 100000 + 3000 = 103,000
The Total expenses = Employee wages + raw materials + office and factory maintenance + interest income + taxes
4.9 (1,067 ratings) 250+ Courses | 40+ Projects | 1000+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
- Total expenses = 20000 + 50000 + 5000 + 3000 + 2500 = $ 80, 500
The Net Income = Total revenue – total expenses.
- Net income = 103000 – 80500
- Net income = $ 22,500
Let us see the Profit and Loss statement of Apple and the net income reported by the Company.
Snapshots from the annual 10-K filing of the Company to SEC is as below. Calculation of net Income is done as the bottom line of the profit and loss statement or the statement of operations. The net income of the Company is highlighted in yellow
source: Apple SEC filings
Net Income Calculator
You can use the following Net Income Calculator.
|Net Income Formula =||Total Revenues – Total Expenses|
|0 – 0 =||0|
Relevance and Uses
- Net Income is the most looked after the number in the financial statement of a Company.
- A lot of financial ratios are impacted by the net income number. Shareholders keenly follow this metric as the amount of dividend paid to the shareholders depends on the net income earned by the Company.
- Although net income is an important metric in terms of profit earned by the Company is not the actual cash earned by the Company. The statement of operations or the profit and loss statement of the Company includes a lot of non-cash items such as depreciation and amortization. Thus, any change in the net income or the financial ratios, as such, should be properly analyzed.
- Lower net income may be due to a lot of factors, including poor sales, poor management, high expenses, etc.
- Net Income varies from Company to Company and industry to industry. It can vary due to the size of the Company and the industry in which it works. Some Companies have heavy asset business models; thus, the depreciation expenses will be high while others may have light asset models. Further, growth factors in industries, debt levels, government taxes affect the net income numbers of the Company.
Net Income Formula in Excel (with excel template)
Let us have a look at another example of Net Income and try to solve it in excel.
A Company XYZ has a total revenue of $ 500,000, and the Cost of goods sold by the Company are $ 120,000. The Company paid salaries and wages to its employees to the tune of $ 30,000. It spent $ 20,000 on rent and other utilities. The Company records $ 15,000 as a depreciation expense. The Company also pays interest on the long-term debt of $ 10,000 and pays taxes of $ 20,000.
The calculation of Net Income can be done simply by subtracting all the expenses from the revenue. The calculation of net income is shown in the below template.
In the below given excel template, we used the Net Income formula to calculate Net Income.
The Net Income of the Company will be –
Net Income Formula Video
Recommended Articles –
This has been a guide to Net Income Formula. Here we learn how to calculate net Income using its formula along with some practical examples. Here we also provide you with Net Income Calculator with a downloadable excel template. You can learn more about Excel Modeling from the following articles –