Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
Numbering in excel means providing a cell with numbers which are like serial numbers to some table, obviously it can also be done manually by filling first two cells with numbers and drag down to the end to table which excels will automatically fill the series or we can use the =ROW() formula to insert a row number as the serial number in the data or table.
Table of Contents
Numbering in Excel
At the time of working with Excel, there are some small tasks that need to be done repeatedly and if we know the right way to do it, they can save a lot of time. Generating the numbers in excel is such a task which is often used while working. Serial numbers play a very important role in excel. This defines a unique identity to each record of your data.
One of the ways is to add the serial numbers manually in excel. But it can be a pain if you have the data of hundreds or thousands of rows and you must enter the row number for them.
This article will cover the different ways to do it.
How to Automatically Add Serial Number in Excel?
There are many ways to generate the number of rows in Excel.
- Using Fill Handle
- Using Fill Series
- Using ROW Function
#1 – Using Fill Handle
This identifies a pattern from a few already filled cells and then quickly used that pattern to fill the entire column.
Let’s take below dataset.
For above dataset, we have to fill the serial no record-wise. Follow below steps:
- Enter 1 in Cell A3 and enter 2 in Cell A4.
- Select both the cells as per below screenshot.
- As we can see there is a small square shown in the above screenshot rounded by red color called Fill Handle.
- Place the mouse cursor on this square and double-click on the Fill handle.
- It will automatically fill all the cells until the end of the dataset. Refer below screenshot.
- As fill handle identifies the pattern and accordingly fill the respective cells with that pattern.
If you have any blank row in the dataset, then fill handle would only work till the last contiguous non-blank row.
#2 – Using Fill Series
This gives more control over data how the serial numbers are entered in excel.
Suppose you have below the score of students subject wise.
Follow below steps to fill series in the excel:
- Enter 1 in Cell A3.
- Go to the HOME tab. Click on Fill option under editing section as shown in below screenshot.
- Click on Fill drop down. It has many options. Click on Series as shown in below screenshot.
- It will open a dialog box as shown below screenshot.
- Click on Columns under Series In section. Refer below screenshot.
- Enter the value under Stop Value field. In this case, we have a total of 10 records, enter 10. If you skip this value, Fill Series option will not work.
- Enter Ok. This will fill rows with serial number from 1 to 10. Refer below screenshot.
#3 – Using the ROW Function
Excel has a built-in function which also can be used to number the rows in Excel. To get the excel row numbering, enter the following formula in the first cell shown below:
- The ROW function gives the excel row number of the current row. I have subtracted 3 from it as I started the data from the 4th So If your data starts from 2nd row, subtract 1 from it.
- See the below screenshot. Using =ROW()-3 Formula
Drag this formula for the rest rows and the final result is shown below.
The benefit of using this formula for numbering is, if you delete a record in your dataset then it will not screw up the numberings. Since the ROW function is not referencing any cell address, it will automatically adjust to give you the correct row number.
Things to Remember about Numbering in Excel
- Fill Handle and Fill Series options are static. If you move or delete any record or row in the dataset, then row number will not change accordingly.
- ROW function gives the exact numbering if you cut and copy the data in Excel.
This has been a guide to Numbering in Excel. Here we discuss how to automatically add serial numbers in excel using fill handle, fill series and ROW function along with examples and downloadable templates. You may learn more about excel functions from the following articles –