Perform Spell Check in Excel
Spell check in excel is a method of proofing which means we can check the spelling of the words or texts in the cell either by manually or we can enable auto spell check in excel, to check spell manually press F7 on the cell and it will open dictionary for us and it will suggest the words which are closely possible or we can go to options and select proofing to enable auto to spell-check.
Often in excel, we overlook the spelling mistakes because most of the time we work on numbers, formulas, charts, and graphs. It does not matter how beautiful your chart looks if your interpretation of the chart has spelling mistakes it will look ugly only.
Unlike in word or PowerPoint, we do not get to see the red line if we mistyped the spelling we do not have that kind of luxury in excel.
However, in this article, I will explain to you the way to check your spelling in excel. The shortcut key to check your spelling is F7.
In excel spell check option is accommodated under Review tab.
In excel do the auditing of spelling from the action not from the beginning.
- Assume you have data from A1:A10 and your active at the time of running the spell check is A5.
- Excel start the auditing of the spelling right from the cell A5 and goes through all the cells till the end of the last cell in the excel and gives you a prompt that Does you want to continue checking at the beginning of the sheet.
- If you click OK, it will start from the cell A1 and stops at A5. If you click No excel will stop at that point itself.
How to Use Auto Spell Check Option in Excel?
Assume you have below data your excel sheet and there are many mistakes that are highlighted with bold font.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
For sure, you know there certain spelling mistakes in this worksheet. Assume you are in the cell A1 and press F7 (shortcut key to run spelling check).
- Firstly it will open up the below dialogue box.
- The first spelling mistake excel found was mostt and excel giving you the suggestion as most. Now if you wish to take the suggestions click on Change if not click on Ignore Once.
If you choose any of one option it will take you to the next spelling mistake.
The second spelling mistake excel found was pwerful. And the suggestions excel gives is powerful.
Like this, excel goes on until the end of the last used cell in the worksheet.
Introduction to Auto Spelling Check Dialogue Box
Let me explain to you the different options of the excel Spelling check dialogue box.
This is the spell check window in all the Microsoft office products.
Not in Dictionary: This is the spelling mistake excel recognizes. This space shows the miss-spelled word.
Suggestions: In this space, excel gives you suggested words to change the miss spelled word.
Dictionary Language: This is the language section you are checking.
Now we will look at the important options.
- Ignore Once: if you do not wish to change the original value, you can click on Ignore Once option.
- Ignore All: It ignores all the spelling mistakes and retains the original values.
- Add to dictionary: This will add the miss spelled word to the dictionary and will not identify that word as a spelling mistake if that is added to the dictionary.
- Change: If you wish to change the miss spelled word with the suggested word then you can click on Change option.
- Change All: This will change all the miss spelled words once for all with the Excel’s own suggested words.
- Autocorrect: this is the awesome part of the spell-check. If you click on this option excel will add the miss spelled word to autocorrect list with suggested word. In the future, if the same word is miss-spelled then it will auto correct it. For example, if the miss spelled word is nned and the suggested word is needed then in future if you type nned excel will automatically convert this to need.
- Cancel: If you want to exit the spell check in excel box then click on the cancel button at any point in time.
Customize the Option of Excel Spelling Check
We can customize the option with our own words. Follow the below steps to make these settings.
Step 1: Click on File option.
Step 2: Now click on options.
Step 3: Now click on proofing
Step 4: Now click on AutoCorrect Options
Step 5: Here you can write the words to replace with the new word.
Things to Remember
- Spell check ignores upper case values. For example, if the word is MULTIPLEE and if you run the spell check it will not recognize that as an error.
- It will correct you in terms of grammatical mistakes unlike in Word and PowerPoint.
- Even though we can change the default settings of spell check 99% of the people are happy with the default settings (even I am also happy).
- Make typo error, and we all humans spell check can help us and saves us from embarrassing moments.
- Any text is attached with numbers cannot be recognized by the excel as a spelling mistake.
This has been a guide to Spell Check in Excel. Here we discuss how to Perform Spell Check Option in Excel along with practical examples and downloadable excel templates. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –