Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tools
- Excel Ribbons and Tabs
- Quick Access Toolbar in Excel (QAT)
- "Save As" Shortcut in Excel
- Accounting Number Format in Excel
- Add-Ins in excel
- Add Filter in Excel
- Advanced Filter in Excel
- Auto Filter In Excel
- Auto Format Excel
- AutoFill in Excel
- Analysis ToolPak in Excel
- ANOVA in Excel
- Border in Excel
- Checkbox in Excel
- Check Mark in Excel (? Tick Symbol)
- Combo Box in Excel and VBA
- Conditional Formatting in Excel
- Conditional Formatting with Formulas
- Conditional Formatting for Blank Cells
- Conditional Formatting Based on Another Cell Value
- Conditional Formatting in Pivot Table
- Consolidate Data in Excel
- Comma Style in Excel
- CSV vs Excel
- Data Bars in Excel
- Data Table in Excel
- Data Validation Excel
- Data Model in Excel
- Developer Tab in Excel
- Descriptive Statistics in Excel
- Dynamic Named Range in Excel
- Drawing in Excel
- Excel Fill Handle
- Excel Fill Down
- Error Bars in Excel
- Excel Forms for Data Entry
- Excel Tables
- Excel Power View
- Exponential Smoothing in Excel
- Filters in Excel
- Flash Fill in Excel
- Freeze Panes in Excel
- Freeze Columns in Excel
- Freeze Cells in Excel
- Format Painter in Excel
- Shortcut for Format Painter in Excel
- F-Test in Excel
- Goal Seek in Excel
- Gridlines in Excel
- Heat Map in Excel
- 3D Maps in Excel
- Header and Footer in Excel
- Insert Button in Excel
- Insert / Draw Line in Excel
- Insert Function in Excel
- List Box in Excel VBA
- Lock Cells in Excel
- Macros in Excel
- Enable Macros in Excel
- Merge and Center in Excel
- Merge Cells in Excel
- Merge Tables in Excel
- Name Box in Excel
- Name Range in Excel
- Null in Excel
- One Variable Data Table in Excel
- OneDrive Excel
- Protect Workbook in Excel
- Pivot Table in Excel
- Pivot Table Examples
- Pivot Table Filter
- Pivot Table Slicer
- Paste Special in Excel (With Top 10 Shortcuts)
- Quick Analysis Tools in Excel
- Radio Button in Excel
- Recording Macros in Excel
- Regression Analysis in Excel
- Scenario Manager in Excel
- Scroll Bars in Excel
- Scroll Lock in Excel
- Slicers in Excel
- Solver in Excel
- Sort by Color in Excel
- Sort by Number in Excel
- Sort Data in Excel
- Sparklines in Excel
- Spell Check in Excel
- Split Panes in Excel (Horizontally, Vertically, Cross Split)
- Status Bar in Excel
- Text to Columns in Excel
- Timeline in Excel
- Toolbar on Excel
- Track Changes in Excel
- Trend Line in Excel
- Two-Variable Data Table in Excel
- Watch Window in Excel
- Wrap Text in Excel
- XML in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tips (178+)
- VBA (162+)
Checkmark or tick mark is a symbol in excel which is used to show whether a given task is done or not, remember it is different from the checkbox, there are three simple methods to insert a checkmark in excel, the first one is just copying a tick mark and paste it in excel whereas the second option is inserting a symbol from the insert tab and the third is when we change the font to windings 2 and press the keyboard shortcut SHIFT+P.
What is Check Mark / Tick (✓) Symbol in Excel?
A Check Mark In Excel is also known as a tick symbol or checkmark box. It is used to select multiple options at a time in the given criteria. The symbol of the checkmark is (✓). It is a special symbol that can be used in place in a cell to express the feeling that the option given to it is correct.
Checkmarks can be used as the buttons to style the content we are writing. This can be illustrated from the below example.
In the above example, the data in excel is represented as different points by using the tick mark.
The checkmark can be used for validation of the data in excel. Here is the below example.
Here in the above example, the condition taken is salary > = 45, hence for all the data above 45 it is showing the checkmark and for all other data less than 45 it is showing exclamatory symbol.
Explanation About Check Mark in Excel
A checkmark is a wonderful option in Microsoft Excel, it is present in the “ Insert “ Tab and in the “ Symbol “ field.
If we click on the “Symbol” then a dialogue box is displayed as shown below.
After inserting the (✓) in the required cell, we can change the text associated with the checkmark.
User can change the user-defined text for the checkmark field.
This can be done by the following process.
After inserting the checkbox from developer option, then right-click on the checkbox cell and select “ Edit Text “ option.
Write the user-defined text in the place of the CheckBox Text.
The excel tick marks are used to create checkboxes and also the checklist which is used for selection of single or multiple options at a time.
Top 7 Ways to Insert Check Mark (✓ Tick) in the MS Excel Page?
There are many ways to insert a checkmark in an excel sheet.
- By using the symbol option.
- By using the character code.
- By using the Keyboard shortcut key.
- By using Functions.
- By using the ASCII code.
- By using the option from Conditional Formatting.
- From the Bullet Library.
#1 – By Using Tick Symbol Option in Excel
As we are aware that the Microsoft Office supports many symbols in Excel, the checkmark is also one of the symbols.
For this Go to Insert Tab, select “ Symbols “option.
A dialogue box will appear as shown in the below figure.
In that from Font option select “wingdings” font, and you will find many symbols and now drag the scroll bar till the end and then there will be two checkmarks or tick marks in excel.
Next thing is the character code. The character code of Checkmark is “ 252“ and “254”. Now it is the time to choose the symbol which we want i.e. if the user wants only a tick mark in excel then “252” is the character code
Or if the user wants to use checkmark that is inside a square box, then “254” is the character code.
#2 – Using the Character Code
Step 1: Place the cursor in the cell where you would like to insert a checkmark. Go to the “ Home “ Tab and now change font settings to “ Wingdings”.
Step 2: Now Click and hold the “ALT” key while typing the character code and then release the “ ALT “ key. The symbol which you typed will be displayed in the desired cell.
The character code of tick symbol is “0252” and the character code of checkmark in the square box is “0254”.
#3 – Using a Keyboard Shortcut excel key to Insert Tick Mark
For this also the cell or column of cells where we want to insert checkmark, we need to have the Font settings in the Home tab. The Font settings are that the font style should be “ Wingdings 2 “ or “Webdings”.
There are two shortcuts for checkmarks in “Wingdings”. There are as follows.
Shortcut 1: Shift + P for inserting tick mark symbol in excel
Shortcut 2: Shift + R for checkmark inside a square box.
The excel shortcuts for checkmarks in “Webdings” font style.
The above rule of font settings should be followed the same as with the “Wingdings”.
Keyboard shortcut: “a” is the shortcut for a checkmark in this font style.
#4 – Using Char Functions
Microsoft Excel supports many functions too in addition to the formulas and shortcuts.
Char() is the function in excel which will display the characters, special symbols, etc whenever it is necessary.
#5 – Using the Option in Conditional Formatting
For this Select “ Home” Tab, then go to conditional formatting and in the drop-down select the “ Icon Sets “ option.
Then you can see the Checkmarks in your data according to the conditions.
#6 – Using the ASCII Code
The ASCII Code of the Checkmark is obtained by using the ASCII character. The ASCII character of CheckMark is Ü and the ASCII code of Checkmark is 252.
#7 – From the Bullet Library
The tick mark symbol can be found in the Bullet Library in Excel.
That can be used as a bullet option.
For this Go to Home tab -> Bullet Library -> select Tick mark.
The Behavior of the Tick (✓) symbol in Excel
- Like the normal text and other numeric characters, the symbols also behave in the same way.
- We can make the checkmark “ Bold “ or “ Italic “ by applying the styles
- We can fill the cell color with the required color.
- We can change the tick mark color to another one by changing it from the home tab.
- Similar to the Check Mark in excel there is another option which we can use manually and can check that option whenever it is necessary. That is called a Checkbox.
Things to Remember About Check Mark in Excel
- Unlike Radio buttons in excel, this checkmark can be selected in multiple numbers.
- This checkmark can be used in filling any survey forms or any application forms to select the criteria.
You can download this Check Mark Excel template here – Check Mark Excel Template
This has been a guide to Check Mark / Tick Mark Symbol in Excel. Here we discuss the top 7 methods to insert Check Mark in Excel along with examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –