Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Excel Remove Space (Table of Contents)
- Removing Spaces in Excel Cell
Removing Spaces in Excel Cell
Sometimes we have some excel data wherein texts or numbers contain spaces between them. In any point of time, we need the data extracted and without spaces. Excel has few tricks up its sleeve which does the work for us. In this topic, we will learn how to remove spaces in excel Cell.
We all have just come across some sorts of data which are either manually entered some spaces or maybe some data has spaces to separate texts or numbers. How do we filter out the data with spaces in excel? There are various methods to do so and are described below with examples.
Here we will discuss the top 5 methods to remove spaces in excel cell
- Using Trim Function
- Using Delimited in Text to Columns
- Using Fixed width in Text to Columns
- Using Find & Replace Option
- Using Substitute Function
#1 – How to Remove Space from the text in Excel Using Trim Function?
We have the following data with us,
Cells in column A has texts which have spaces between them and we will remove the spaces from them in column B.
- In B1 Type =Trim.
As explained in the text Trim function removes all spaces from a text string except for single spaces between words.
- Select A1 cell.
- Click Enter and excel automatically remove the extra spaces.
- Drag and Copy the formula to cell B5.
Trim Function removed the extra spaces except for the space between the texts itself.
#2 – How to Remove Space Using Delimited in Text To Columns?
Text to columns also can remove spaces from a cell. Consider the following data,
Where trim function did not remove the spaces between the texts but with text to columns we can remove the extra spaces between the texts and numbers in excel also.
- Select Column A then, go to Data Tab click on Text to Columns.
- Select Delimited.
- Click on Next Space as a delimiter then Click on Finish.
Excel separated the texts from their spaces and placed them into the next column.
#3 – How to Remove Space in Excel Using Fixed Width in Text to Columns Option?
We can also use fixed width in a text to columns option to remove extra spaces from text and numbers in excel. However, our data needs to be in an exact number of characters before the space so that only spaces can be removed. Consider the following data.
We have some random text with random numbers with spaces separating them. We need to remove the spaces and have the numbers in another column.
- Select Column A then, in Data Tab Select Text to columns.
- Select Fixed width then Click on next.
However, your cursor where the spaces are then, Click on Finish.
Now we have separated our data from the spaces using fixed width in the text to columns.
#4 – How to Remove Space Using Find & Replace Option?
Find and replace option also can be used to remove spaces from text and numbers in excel cell. We will consider the same data used in example #1.
- Press CTRL + H and a dialog box appears for find and replace.
- Below in find what box press spacebar and in replace button to leave it a blank and click on replace all.
- Excel gives us a prompt that all the spaces are removed. Click ok to see the result.
- Each and every space in the cells have been removed.
#5 – How to Remove Space in Excel Using Substitute Function?
We can also use the substitute function to remove all the spaces in a cell. Let us consider the same data in Example 1 again.
- In Cell B1, type =substitute and go to Formulas tab Click on Insert Function Option to open the function dialog box.
- The text we want is from cell A1, so in text select A1.
- We want to remove extra spaces so in Old Text box type “ “, which means space.
- In the new text type “”, which means no spaces then, Click on Ok.
- Drag the formula to cell B5.
With Substitute function, we replaced spaces in the cells.
Explanation of Removing Spaces in Excel
When we import a data or copy and paste the data in excel from an external source we also might end up getting extra spaces apart from our important Data.
Also by having extra spaces data can look disorderly and can be difficult to use.
To overcome this challenge we remove extra spaces from our data cell so that it can be more presentable and readable.
Things to Remember
There are few points to remember while removing spaces in excel.
- We need to think about which method to use in certain cases.
- Using text to column options will separate the data in another column.
- Removing spaces using find and replace option and substitute function can put up all the strings together.
This has been a guide to Removing Spaces in Excel Cell. Here we discuss how to remove spaces from text and numbers in excel using top 5 methods (Trim, Delimited, Fixed Width, Find and Replace and Substitute) along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –