Address Function in Excel
Address function in excel is used to find the address of the cell and the value returned by this function is absolute, it is an inbuilt function, this function has two mandatory arguments which is the row number and the column number, for example, if we use =Address(1,2) we will get output as $B$1.
Row_Num: Is the row number to use to in the cell reference: Row_num=1 for row 1.
Column_Num: Is the column number to use in the excel address of cell reference: Col_num= 2 for column B.
Abs_num: [Optional] It is the reference type. If this parameter is omitted, the default ref_type is set to 1. The Absolute number can have any of the following values depending on individuals need:
For example $A$1
|2||Relative column; absolute row
For example A$1
|3||Absolute column; relative row
For example $A1
For example A1
A1: [Optional] It is the reference style to use either A1 or R1C1. If this parameter is omitted, the default type is set to A1.
Sheet_name – [optional] It is the name of the sheet to use in the excel address of the cell. If this parameter is omitted, then no sheet name is used in the excel address of the cell.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
How to use the Address Function in Excel? (with Example)
Below we are considering all possible cases which could occur while working with the ADDRESS function. Let’s go through the given use case
- The first observation from the snapshot where row= 1 & column= 4 and address function excel can be rewritten in the simplified version as Address(1,4) which gives the result as $D$1.
- The parameters Absolut number is by default set to 1 and reference type is set to 1 (i.e. true) when these parameters have not been defined explicitly. Hence, the result has a pattern of absolute address with row and column name (i.e. $D$1).
- Here, $D signifies the Absolut column (4) and $1 signifies the Absolute Row (1).
- Consider the row 5 case, here Row= 5, column= 20 & Ab_num=2 and address function excel can be rewritten in the simplified version as Address(5,20,2) which gives the result as T$5.
- The parameter reference type is by default set to 1 (i.e. true) when the parameter has been not defined explicitly. Hence, the result has a pattern of absolute address only against the row ($5) and relative column (T).
- Here, T signifies the relative column and $5 signifies the Absolute Row.
- Now consider the case row 7 from below worksheet, here we are passing all the arguments of Address function excel including the optional ones.
- Arguments passed: row=10, column=9, Ab_num=4, A1=1, Sheet_name=Example1.
- Address Function Excel can be rewritten in the simplified version as ADDRESS(10,9,4,1,”Example1”) this gives the result as Example1!I10.
- As the Absolute number parameter is set to 4 it results in Relative reference. (I10)
Till now we have seen how the reference of a cell can be derived using the Address Function in excel but what if we are interested in the value stored in the excel address of cells. How we can get the actual value through the reference. The Indirect function would help us with the above questions.
Indirect Function Formula
Reference: Is the reference of an excel address of the cell
Ref_type: [Optional] Is a logical value that specifies the style of reference, R1C1 -style =False; A1 -style= True or omitted.
Passing the address using Indirect Function
The below spreadsheet shows a further example in which using INDIRECT function we can get the value for the cell reference passed in the Indirect function.
Let’s go through the first observation, Address = $D$3. Rewrite the function as Indirect($D$3).
Value present in the sample data, D3 cell is Mathematics which is same as the result of the Indirect function in B3 cell.
Consider one more example where Reference Type is of style R7C5 for this we must set the Ref_type to False (0) so the address function can read the reference style.
Things to Note
- The ADDRESS function is used to create an address from a given row and column number.
- Depending upon the need set the Absolute parameter to one of the following
- 1 or omitted, Absolute reference
- 2, Absolute row; relative column
- 3, Relative row; absolute column
- 4, Relative reference
- Do not forget to set the second parameter i.e. reference type of the INDIRECT function to zero or False when Reference style is the R1C1 type.
This has been a guide to Address Excel Function. Here we discuss the Address Formula in excel and how to use Address function in Excel along with practical examples and downloadable excel templates.