Difference Between CFT and CMT
CFT focuses on moving averages, charting methods, candle charts, candle patterns, technical terminology, Elliott wave theory, determination of trends about price, etc. In contrast, CMT focuses on providing knowledge about terminology tools used in technical analysis, application of various concepts, theory, and techniques, etc.
When you think about a professional Technical Analysis course, you need to be sure before signing up. With the notes given below, you can be double sure before registering.
Below is the flow of the article –
Table of contents
What is a Certified Financial Technician (CFTe)?
A certified financial technicianCertified Financial TechnicianCFTe is an examination conducted by the IFTA which is a globally recognized body and it focusses on international professional qualification in technical analysis. or CFTe is a complete professional course with two levels: Level I and Level II. For finance professionals who take a test on not just their technical knowledge and skills, they are also tested on their ethical standards and market understanding.
This course is accredited by IFTA (International Federation of Technical Analysts). This non-profit organization has 23 member societies, and currently, the CFT course is available in six different languages, like English, German, Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, and French. The examination is a paper and pencil or a written examination.
What is the Chartered Market Technician (CMT)?
Chartered Market Technician (CMT) is a designation attained globally by completing a 3 level examination and displaying basic and extreme knowledge of investment risksInvestment RisksInvestment risk is the probability or uncertainty of losses rather than expected profit from investment due to a fall in the fair price of securities such as bonds, stocks, real estate. In addition, each type of investment is prone to some degree of investment or default risk., specifically portfolio management strategies.
The certification is received from the CMT Association, the Market Technician Association, after clearing all three levels of examination and receiving approval from the board of directorsBoard Of DirectorsBoard of Directors (BOD) refers to a corporate body comprising a group of elected people who represent the interest of a company’s stockholders. The board forms the top layer of the hierarchy and focuses on ensuring that the company efficiently achieves its goals. and the Admission Committee of MTA. The candidate should also have three years of relevant experience to add to the examination.
Being a CMT, you join a society of investment professionals known as experts and generators of the value of money across the globe. This course keeps you on the leading front of the investment industry that is never stable. It is a total compliment to the logical restraints and your financial designation.
CFT vs CMT Infographics
To clear this examination, you must ensure that the following are achieved.
- The candidate needs to have three years of experience in the relevant field.
- The minimum qualification required is graduation or a bachelor’s degree.
- He needs to clear two levels of examinations; they are divided as Level I consist of 120 questions that cover only the technical knowledge; however, the experience is not used. Level II consists of many questions; these questions are based on their experience. The question types are essay bases analysis and answers.
- The course is designed as a self-study course; however, local bodies conduct training classes for these courses.
- Candidates who have cleared their CMT Association certification or CMT level I and II are eligible to get their CFTe certification as well.
- The minimum qualification required is a bachelor’s degree in any finance program; to add to the certification, candidates also peruse the MBA before the certification.
- Three years of work exp in investment management or professional analytical profile.
- Candidates should be a master in handling large sums of finance to give estimations, develop portfolio strategies, and make decisions related to trading.
- Three levels of MTA examination need to be cleared and take five years of the initial exam.
- The three-level examination level I concentrate on the basic knowledge, Level II measures the candidate’s competencies. Finally, Level III is a test of the candidate’s ability.
CFT vs CMT Comparative Table
|Organizing Body||The International Federation of Technical Analysts (IFTA), USA||, manages and controls the exams. The Chartered Market Technician (CMT) Association, USA, manages and controls the exams.|
|Pattern||The course is divided into two levels
||The course is divided into three levels
|Duration of Course||Although there is no time limit, the candidates are encouraged to complete the course in 24 months.||Most candidates take between 18 to 36 months to complete all three levels successfully.|
|Syllabus||The syllabus primarily covers the following topics
||The syllabus primarily covers the following topics
|Exam Fees||For members, the cost of the course is $1,950, which includes the exam fees and an enrollment fee of $550. On the other hand, the cost for non-members is $2,550. Also, candidates must pay $100 extra for CFTe II exams at non-IFTA proctored exam locations.||The exam fees vary depending on the time of registration. For members, the cost varies from $1,535 to $2,635, including the exam fees and an enrollment fee of $250. On the other hand, the same varies in the range of $2,000 to $3,100 for non-members.|
|Jobs||Some of the common profiles include
||Some of the common profiles include
|Difficulty||The difficulty level of the exams is fairly reasonable, as reflected from historical pass rates of 60% to 70%.||The difficulty level of the exams is fairly reasonable, as reflected from historical pass rates of around 70%.|
|Exam Date||The exams are held twice a year, in April (spring) and October (fall). The upcoming exams for both levels are scheduled for April 21.||The upcoming CMT Level I and CMT Level II exams will take place during June 02-12, 2022, while for CMT Level III will take place on June 09, 2022.|
Why pursue CFT?
Certified Financial Technician is a globally recognized course in more than 24 countries. It gives you the following benefits.
- If you want to pursue or need international recognition and a professional qualification in the financial marketFinancial MarketThe term "financial market" refers to the marketplace where activities such as the creation and trading of various financial assets such as bonds, stocks, commodities, currencies, and derivatives take place. It provides a platform for sellers and buyers to interact and trade at a price determined by market forces., then CFTe rewards you.
- It is a globally recognized examination conducted in various languages, including English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Arabic, and conducted in major cities worldwide.
- This course gives you technical skills and knowledge, understanding the market, and improving your ethical understanding.
- It teaches you Algorithmic tradingAlgorithmic TradingAlgorithmic trading is an automated buying and selling process with a programmed algorithm to determine the price, volume and timing of order. Algo-trading is a high-frequency trading technology that enables the exchange of stocks and other assets in the financial market. and how technical analysis is impacted.
- The subjects covered are interpretations, terminologies, and basic IQ.
Why pursue CMT?
CMT is a course that is similar to CFTe. Let us have a look at some of its benefits:
- Like CFTe, CMT is a globally recognized course for candidates who want to become International Professional Technical Analysts.
- It aims to create professionals in the field of technical analysis.
- They promote very high ethical and professional standards in financial trading.
- You are helping and guiding the candidates in gaining expertise in the professional body of financial knowledge.
- This course teaches you and gives you the ability to read various points and figures, lines and candlesticks, price perspectives past, present, and future. They also learn and understand the relationships between price and price patterns and the trends, what they mean, and how to understand and draw them.
This has been a guide to CFT vs. CMT. Here we discuss the differences between CFT and CMT, infographics, and a comparative table. You may also have a look at the following articles –