Difference Between CIPM and IMC
With a CIPM degree aspirants can secure job roles and opportunities in GIPS verification firms, research firms, plan sponsors, investment banks, investment management, etc whereas with an IMC degree aspirants can secure job roles and opportunities and make a career as an analyst and a fund manager.
CIPM and IMC are simple as well as difficult jobs. It depends on your focus area and understanding. On the one hand, the CIPM examCIPM ExamThe CFA CIPM® program is known around the world for its investment professionals' performance evaluation and presentation expertise. The CFA CIPM Principles Exam and the CIPM® Expert Exam are two challenging exams to be cleared. is just right for a candidate who would like to pursue and succeed in investment performances as an analyst.
On the other hand, IMC certificationIMC CertificationThe CFA Society of the UK conducts the Investment Management Certificate (IMC) program. The CFA UK's sole purpose is to create and maintain high professional standards of ability and practice in investment analysis, portfolio management, and related disciplines. is an entry-level qualification for investment management professionals. IMC is highly sought after and is considered as the benchmark entry-level pre-requisite for gaining employment in the investment management industry.
What is CIPM?
The CIPM certification program is an excellent opportunity for investment professionals to gain a strong understanding of the financial markets of the world and secure their job prospects in the investment industry. This course is just the right course for a candidate who would like to pursue and succeed in the field of investment performance as an analyst.
CIPM course includes performance measurements and attributes of an investment. It can be investment banking, investment analysis, investment management, investment advisory, etc. Certificate of Investment Performance Management (CIPM) is offered to be appeared by the Association of CIPM, which is a part or is associated with the CFA Institute. And hence CIPM is an international professional course.
What is IMC?
The CFA Society of the UK (CFA UK) is a society formed by the members of the investment industry. The industry members have formed this organization with the sole aim of fostering and maintaining high standards of professional ability and practice in investment analysisPractice In Investment AnalysisInvestment analysis is the method adopted by analysts to evaluate the investment opportunities, profitability, and associated risks in their portfolios. In addition, it helps them to determine whether the investment is worth it or not., portfolio management, and related disciplines.
Keeping this motto in mind, the society conducts a certificate program known as The Investment Management Certificate (IMC), an entry-level qualification for investment management professionals. The qualification is highly sought after and is considered the benchmark entry-level pre-requisite for gaining employment in the investment management industry.
Employers seek out professionals with the IMC certificate as it demonstrates a distinct level of competence in the candidate and helps them maintain a standard for regulatory purposes. The IMC certificate is a stepping stone for candidates who wish to carve out their career in the investment profession. IMC holders graduate to studying for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program for further professional growth.
The IMC course is widely respected and globally accepted. Thus a candidate’s resume with the IMC achievement adds value and increases his chances of attaining better opportunities on the job front.
The highly acclaimed course enhances a student’s horizon and equips him with high standards of professional ability and practice in investment analysis, portfolio management, and other related disciplines.
CIPM vs IMC Infographics
Reading time: 90 seconds
CIPM vs. IMC Summary
|Organizing Body||The organizing body for the Certificate of Investment Performance Management (CIPM) exams is the CFA Institute, USA.||The organizing body for the Investment Management Certificate (IMC) exams is the CFA Society of the UK.|
|Pattern||The course consists of two sequential levels
||The course consists of two units
|Duration of Course||Typically, the candidates are able to complete the course in a span of 18 months.||To complete the course, the candidates need to study around 220 hours, which can go up to 12-18 months.|
|Syllabus||The syllabus of the course focuses on the following topics
||The syllabus of the course focuses on the following topics
|Exam Fees||The total cost of the course varies based on the time of registration and falls in the range between $950 and $1,350.||The total cost of the course comes to be around £800, which includes the cost of the training manual and the exam fees for each unit.|
|Jobs||Some of the common profiles include
||Some of the common profiles include
|Difficulty||The exams are quite difficult and the only 1/4th of the aspirants can clear both levels. The pass rates for the exams conducted in September 2019 were
||The exams are reasonably difficult as indicated by the historical pass rate in the range of 65% to 80% for both units. [Source: CFA UK]|
|Exam Date||The schedule of the upcoming exams for the year 2021 is as follows
||There is no fixed date. After registering for the program, the candidates can take the exams on any date falling within 12 months from the date of registration.|
There are no specific eligibility criteria for the CIPM course.
- The candidate who wishes to appear for the CIPM course is only expected to agree and abide by the CIPM Association Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct.
- This can be completed easily by signing a Candidate Professional Conduct Statement as part of each exam registration.
- This is mandatory as it ensures the safeguarding of the high standards of the CIPM exam protection of the integrity of the designation.
The CFA Society does not specify any pre-requisite for candidates to be eligible for the IMC Program.
However, industry experts and passed out candidates mention that a bachelor’s degree eases a candidate’s process of studying and increases the chances of being selected for a particular role in the industry.
Why Pursue CIPM?
Industry people are looking for employees who can responsibly handle and drive the business solely on the talent of their knowledge and skills and ethical and professional commitment. Thus a combination of both is an achievement in this industry. The CIPM module equips a professional with technical ability and professional capacity, ensuring a great deal of prestige and profit for the employer.
- The CIPM certificate allows a candidate to edge over his competitors by showcasing his superior knowledge and understanding of the practice-based investment performance and risk evaluation skills.
- The syllabus of the CIPM is continuously upgraded with the current practices of the industry by professionals and practitioners of the same industry to ensure that all the relevant topics are covered, and the latest trends of the industry are met with so that professionals are ready as per the demands of the employers in the job market.
- The CIPM designation is an achievement for people in the investment management industry. The certificate adds to the resume and lends credibility speaking highly of your resume, professionalism, and commitment to your clients’ best interests and the firm’s success.
- CIPM course covers rigorous course material familiarizing you with broad topics like performance measurement, attribution, and appraisal. The course is a specialization in portfolio management, allowing a candidate to gain his mastery in the field of finance through the acquisition of some invaluable set of skills in the certificate program.
- The course boasts the confidence in a professional in his ability to bring new investment strategies to the table with certified good results. The program is an invaluable learning experience if your job requires the utilization of these kinds of skills.
Why Pursue IMC?
The IMC certificate is the very basic foundation knowledge of the fund management industry. Therefore the industry expects professionals wishing to pursue a career in this industry to achieve an entry-level rudimentary knowledge on investment management before seeking any job in a company.
- The IMC certified professionals are growing by the year. Therefore candidates should achieve this qualification to enjoy standing in the investment management industry and be open for consideration for professional designations before or immediately after graduation.
- For professionals wishing to settle down in the UK with dreams of making it big in the investment management industry, IMC qualification is a must. It is widely accepted and recognized by fellow industry people.
- The IMC qualification is going to boost career prospects opening an array of options for a professional.
- Leading investment firms looking to hire the best pool of talent available to consider IMC to be a pre-requisite as the course is synonymous with the idea of competence and talent.
- The course equips the students with high standards of professional ability and practice in investment analysis, portfolio management, and other related disciplines. IMC is a stepping stone for those who want to achieve further finance designations in the future, such as CFA, for a better career progression. It is an ideal foundation as the course covers 30% of the CFA Level I curriculum.
Carefully plan out the date when appearing for the exam because the IMC syllabus is updated continuously. It might have changed depending on the selection of the date of the exam. The CIPM exams are extremely difficult and not be taken lightly. Some of the concepts are very advanced and take a lot of patience to master.
This has been a guide to CIPM vs. IMC Certification. Here we discuss lists of job options, fees, pass percentage, focus areas for CIPM, and IMC to help you choose between these two. You may also have a look at the following articles –