Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
Column Sort in Excel (Table of Contents)
How to Sort a Column in Excel
Let’s understand how to sort a column in excel with examples.
We all know how to sort rows by selecting the row headers. In this article, I will take you through the method of sorting the data column-wise. Believe me, not many people do not know about this cool technique. Then why are you waiting go ahead one step more than your other counterparts?
Sorting is nothing but arranging data in order. Usually, we sort rows to make the data in order. For example Sort from A to Z, Z to A, Smallest to Largest, Largest to Smallest etc…
Column Sort in Excel – Example #1
Take one simple example. I have downloaded this data from the online server. This data is the salary earned by the employees for the year 2018.
In the first row we have month list and in the first column, we have employee names. If you look at the month list it is not in order. I mean not from Jan to Dec rather it is jumbled here and there.
As an Analyst, it is not a good thing to present the data as it is. Copy and paste and make the data in order is a time-consuming process.
Follow below to arrange the data in order.
Step 1: Select the data. Select means do not select all the data but select as per the below image. Select only the columns B to M.
Step 2: Now go to Data and select Sort. (You can press ALT + D + S)
Step 3: Now click on Options.
Step 4: Once you click on Options it will open up the below dialogue box. Select Sort Left to Right.
Once select this option to excel understands the data from right to left instead of top to bottom.
Step 5: Now click on the Sort by drop-down list. You will not see any header rather is shows only Row1, Row2, Row3 like this.
Step 6: Understand our requirement here. We need to sort the data month-wise. Our month is in the first row. So select Row 1 as the option. Since we are sorting the data month-wise from Jan to Dec it becomes oldest to newest. So select Oldest to Newest under Order section.
Step 7: Click the OK button, it will sort the sort from Jan to Dec.
Column Sort in Excel – Example #2
I was into an interview and I have given data from the hiring manager to sort to the data based in the heading. He has given me the below data asked me to sort the data. The first column should be Revenue, the second one should have Cost, and the final column should be Profit.
I was just thinking for a minute. He did not ask to sort the data alphabetically if that was the case it would have been a walk in the park for me rather he is asked me to sort differently.
After thinking for a minute or two I remembered the option called Custom Sort. In custom sort, we can mention the headings which one to come first, which one to come second and so on.
Step 1: Select the data.
Step 2: Press ALT + D + S and Go to Options.
Step 3: Select Sort Left to Right.
Step 4: Click on Ok and under Sort by option select the Row1.
Step 4: Since we need to so custom sort we cannot simply select A to Z but we need to select Custom List option.
Step 5: Under custom list, we can mention our order of the sort. Under List Entries, I have mentioned my order.
Step 6: Click on OK, it will show the Order list in the Sort dialogue box.
Step 7: Click on OK. It will sort the data according to the values I have given.
Things to Remember
- It is important to select the options and set our sorting method as Sort right to left otherwise it will sort it as rows type.
- It is very useful to sort in case of arranging headings alphabetically.
- There is no option of My Data Has Header in column sort unlike in rows sorting.
- We can sort the dates from oldest to newest.
This has been a guide to Column Sort in Excel. Here we discuss how to Sort a Column in Excel using excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful excel tools –
- Custom List in Excel
- How to Show Row Header in Excel?
- Add Excel Column Filter
- Edit List in Excel Drop-Down
- Shortcut Filter in Excel
- How to Sort by Color in Excel?
- How to Sort by Number in Excel?
- Sort Data in Excel
- How to Filter in Excel?
- How to Insert Multiple Rows in Excel?
- How to Show Formula in Excel?