Personal Banker Job – Roles & Responsibilities
Personal Banker Job Description includes assisting the customers in various different areas such as the opening of the savings and checking accounts, resolving the various issues of the clients, presenting the different products and services available to the existing and potential clients, investing in certificates of deposit, etc.
A personal banker is a professional who takes care of personal accounts of their customers, mostly in retail banking divisionsRetail Banking DivisionsRetail banking or personal banking refers to the financial services offered by the financial institutions exclusively to the individual clients. The consumer banking provides personal loan, savings account, debit cards, credit cards, locker, etc. and in large financial institutions. They are skilled in knowing the markets very well in order to support their clients and possess good decision-making and analytical skills.
What Does a Personal Banker Do?
The primary job description of the personal banker job is given below:
- Supporting clients in the opening of accounts;
- Manage the customer’s day to day queries related to their respective personal account;
- Understanding customer’s requirement with respect to any new or existing product offered by the banking or financial institution;
- Introducing and marketing of new products to the customer base including the explanation of benefits;
- Overall management of customer’s personal accounts;
- Strive to create a new customer database by applying marketing techniques.
A few secondary job description of the personal banker are included:
- Advising clients on the selection of the best alternative for investment;
- Providing consultation about future requirements to the customer;
- Maintaining accounts of the customers and proactively guiding them to avoid any fees or charges due to any defaults or the like.
Actually, a personal banker job can be entirely subjective depending upon the relationship between the customer and their personal banker – the personal banker can act as a companion to the customer’s requirement, suggesting him the best and the worst.
Personal Banker Job – Education Qualification Required
A personal banker should be outstanding in accounts and financial analysis. Hence a Bachelor in Finance (or a bachelor’s in finance-related topic) is beneficial. Nevertheless, another degree in graduation is acceptable, but the post-graduation requires Finance-related study.
The aspiring personal banker should possess personal banker qualifications in the below subjects (preferred to have basic degrees in these):
- Financial Analysis
- Quantitative Study
- Risk Management
Skills for Personal Banker Job
The basic skills of a personal banker are required below:
- Accounting skillsAccounting SkillsAccounting Skills are the set of skills required to present business transactions comprising of financial and non-financial in the books of accounts as per prescribed Standards of Accounting (US GAAP, IFRS, Ind AS) and as a part of legal compliance and analysis of business outcome in an optimum way. and good analytical techniques
- Good in calculations
- Sales and customer services techniques
- Good communication and presentation skills should be strong ineffective positive communication with convincing skills
- Strong ability to work towards targets and meet deadlines
- Good leadership skills
- Basic knowledge about accounting or related software is always a plus
- Understanding how the market works and should be able to guide the customer effectively
- Understanding of products available in the market and offered by self
A personal banker can pave his way out in retail banking, investment banking, or financial institutions like wealth management and fund managementFund ManagementFund management is the process of a company taking a person's, company's, or another fund management company's financial assets (generally high net worth individuals) and investing them in companies that use those funds as an operational investment, financial investment, or any other investment in order to grow the fund. firms. This industry is a vast market (or I should mention that they are one of the biggest markets in the existing financial field next to the government offered market) and has a lot of potential for growth. It also offers individual growth in terms of personal banker skills, knowledge, personal finance, and personality development.
- One can start their personal banker careers; go on exploring new products, and their effectiveness, offered by their institution and in the market; make good connections with their clients; understand the banking model, end to end transactions; and then make a decision (if they reach a particular saturation level) to continue the same or move on.
- Moving on, they can explore roles in the fund management or wealth management institutions – they can leverage their acquired knowledge and skillset to manage funds and portfolios held by HNIs (High Net worth Individuals) who form the client base for such institutions; they can advise such clients as to how their investments can prove to be the best for them in future.
- Another personal banker careers stop can be to opt for becoming a financial consultant or a financial adviser. These are private consultants who provide financial products and services to individuals and companies. In certain parts of the world, they are supposed to hold licenses or degrees before they can start practicing. Depending on their license, they are allowed to market their products. This is required since every product has a particular level of complexity – a few of them may be so complicated that a common man may make blunders if he lays his hands on the same but has little idea of how it works, and this would affect the economy as a whole. A few of the products are expensive as well, based on their complexity. However, one can start with something basic, and slowly acquire higher levels with the passage of time.
If you have intent towards these personal banker skills are mentioned, and you possess an apt degree for the same, then you should think about this role, and who knows you land up with a perfect personal banker job meant just for you. Before starting with anything, you need to ponder upon a few things –
- Understand the role very well, including its demands – you should not end up realizing you are on the wrong path.
- Know your priorities in the personal banker careers – do you think you need to do it at this moment in time, or you can find out an alternative approach for some time, and then go ahead with this after a particular time? Plan accordingly!
- Try to determine your aspirations and what you want to look like when you see the future – if this is your dream role, then go ahead with what is required, else think again!
- Understand what can make you reach the goal where you are heading – select the best approach for you and at the right time, what is feasible for you and what is best to land you in the right position. Know yourself!
- Everything said and done, but choose the best paying personal banker jobs – after all, finances are what need to be taken care of. The best paying personal banker jobs in your care is what you should pursue.
This has been a guide to Personal Banker Job Description. Here we discuss the skills roles of a personal banker, skills required, education qualification along with its career prospects. You may learn more about finance roles from the articles below –