Creating a Search Box in Excel
The idea of creating a search box in Excel is that we keep writing the required data. Accordingly, it will filter the data and show only that much data. This article will show you how to create a search box and filter the data in Excel.
Table of contents
15 Easy Steps to Create Dynamic Search Box in Excel
To create a dynamic search box in Excel. We are going to use the below data. You can download the workbook and follow along with us to make it yourself.
Follow the below steps to create a dynamic search box in Excel.
- Step 1: First, create a unique list of “City” names by removing duplicates in a new worksheet.
- Step 2: For this unique list of cities, give the name “CityList.”
- Step 3: Go to the “Developer” tab in excelDeveloper Tab In ExcelEnabling the developer tab in excel can help the user perform various functions for VBA, Macros and Add-ins like importing and exporting XML, designing forms, etc. This tab is disabled by default on excel; thus, the user needs to enable it first from the options menu.. From the “Insert” box inserts “Combo Box.”
- Step 4: Draw this “ComboBox” on the worksheet where the data is.
- Step 5: Right-click on this “ComboBox” and choose the “Properties” option.
- Step 6: This will open up the “Properties” options like the below one.
- Step 7: We have several properties here. For the property, “LinkedCell” gives a link to cell D2.
- Step 8: For the “ListFillRange,” property gives the name given to a unique list of “Cities.”
- Step 9: For the “Match Entry” property, choose “2-fmMatchEntryNone” as you type the name in the combo box. It will not auto-complete the sentence.
- Step 10: We are done with the properties part of “ComboBox.” Go to the “Developer” tab and unselect the “Design” mode option of “Combo Box.”
- Step 11: Now, from the combo box, we can see city names in the dropdown list in excelDrop-down List In ExcelA drop-down list in excel is a pre-defined list of inputs that allows users to select an option..
We can type the name inside the combo box, which will also reflect inlined cell D2.
- Step 12: We need to write formulasWrite FormulasWrite Formula in excel refers to different formulas written in MS excel to imply a function or calculation to the selected cell or range of cells, rows and columns. There are hundreds of inbuilt formula like AVERAGE, SUM and a proper way of writing it to apply it. to filter the data by typing the city name in the combo box. For this, we must have three helper columns. For the first helper column, we need to find the row numbers by using the ROWS functionUsing The ROWS FunctionThe ROWS function in Excel returns the number of rows selected in the range. It's not the same as the ROW function. .
- Step 13: In the “Helper 2” column, we need to find the related search city names. If they match, we need the row numbers of those cities for this to insert the below formula.
This formula will look for the city name in the main table. It will return the row number from the “Helper 1” column if it matches. Else, it will return an empty cell.
For example, now we will type “Los Angeles,” and wherever the city name is in the main table for those cities, we will get the row number.
- Step 14: Once the row numbers of the entered or selected city name are available, we need to stick together these row numbers under the other. So, in the third helper column, we must stack all the entered city names row numbers.
This formula will look for the smallest value in the matched city list based on actual row numbers. It will stack the first smallest, second smallest, third smallest, and so on. Once all the small values are stacked together, the SMALL function throws an error value. So, to avoid this, we have used the IFERROR function. If the error value comes, it will return an empty cell.
- Step 15: Create an identical table format like the one below.
In this new table, we need to filter the data based on the city name we type in the excel search box. We can combine IFERROR, INDEX, and COLUMNS functions in excelCOLUMNS Functions In ExcelThe COLUMNS function returns the total number of columns in the given array or collection of references.. Below is the formula you need to apply.
Copy the formula and paste it into all the other cells in the new table.
We are done with the designing part. Let us learn how to use it.
Please type the city name in the combo box. Our new table will only filter the entered city-data.
As we can see, we just typed “Lo,” and all the related search results are filtered in the new table format.
Things to Remember here
- We must insert a combo box in excelCombo Box In ExcelCombo Box in Excel is a type of data validation tool that can create a dropdown list for the user to select from the pre-determined list. It is a form control which is available in the insert tab of the developer’s tab. from “ActiveX Form Controls” under the “Developer” tab.
- The combo box matches all the related alphabets and returns the result.
This article is a guide to the search box in Excel. Here, we discuss creating a dynamic search box in Excel along with an example and downloadable Excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in Excel: –