What is the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) in Excel?
Quick Access Toolbar or also known as QAT in excel is a toolbar available in excel where we can position our important shortcuts and use them much easier whenever necessary, this is a customizable toolbar located on the upper left-hand side of the window in a workbook.
Quick Access Toolbar is a customizable toolbar that contains a set of commands that visible at the top of the ribbon, which is independent. You can add or remove the buttons with your choice by customizing the toolbar, but you are not able to resize it. You can move the toolbar to two possible locations; one is at the top of the ribbon other one is at the top of the workspace area. With your choice, you can create custom tabs and groups to choose your frequent and repeated usage commands.
How to use Quick Access Toolbar in Excel?
- QAT in excel is a shortcut toolExcel Is A Shortcut ToolAn Excel shortcut is a technique of performing a manual task in a quicker way. to avoid searching for the commands you frequently use in working on the documents.
- If you have mistaken in the typing the word or made any other errors while making the document, you don’t need to search the undo tool, which is available at this toolbar; just click on it at the top.
- It helps us to simplify accessing the commands of the document.
Example #1 – Customizing QAT
On the ribbon, click the appropriate tab or group to display the command that you want to add to the toolbar.
- Choose the left-click command on the excel quick access toolbar short cut menu; customize QAT to more commands like open, save, undo, redo, etc. by clicking the left click on the commands.
- If the command already available in the toolbar in Excel, it shows a tick mark at the left of the tab; you can remove the command if you don’t need it.
- If you want to add more commands that are not displayed in the list, don’t worry; click on the More commands button visible at the bottom of the tab to add or remove the commands.
- If you choose the More commands tab, then the screen will display as below.
- If you select the choose commands from the Drop menu, then you can choose the menus you want to add; by default, it shows the popular commands mostly recommended by the users.
- You can select the reference tabs in case if it is difficult to find out the commands search for.
- To add or remove the tools in the toolbar, first, select the command by left click on which you have to insert which displays at the left side window then select Add then the selected command will displays in the right side window then click ok to finish the customizing process once you completed.
- If you have to reset all customizations, you have done select the Reset icon then select ok to customize the toolbar to default.
- You can choose the customizations for a single workbook, too; if you don’t want other files to perform the customizations you choose, then select the Customize access toolbars drop-down menu, then select for XXXX (filename) as shown below.
Example #2 – Changing the Position of QAT
- You can only place the toolbar in two positions one is at the top of the ribbon, and the other is at the top of the workspace area.
- You cant resize the toolbar but the other option to resize the toolbar is by changing the resolution of your screen.
- To replace the position of the toolbar, right-click at the drop-down icon and select show below the ribbon to replace, as shown below.
- Then the position of the Toolbar will change as below.
- If you want to replace it with its default position, do the same again; this time, it shows, as shown above, the ribbon.
Example #3 – Customizing the toolbar by Options Command
- Click the file tab and then click options to customize the toolbar in excel
- Then click Quick access excel toolbar, then make the changes you want as you wish to ease of access on the commands.
Example #4 – Changing the Order of the Commands
- Choose the left-click command on the QAT short cut menu, then click more commands to Customize Quick access excel toolbar.
- Then click the toolbar on the menu to replace the position of the commands to ease of access.
- Under the Customize Quick Access excel toolbar Excel ToolbarThe toolbar, also known as the quick access toolbar, is located on the left top-most side of the excel window and has only a few options by default, such as save, redo, and undo. Users can, however, customize it to their liking and add any option or button to make it easier to access the commands., click the command you want to move, then click the move up or move down.
- Then click ok to see the customizations on your screen.
Example #5 – Export a Customized Quick Access Toolbar
You can export your ribbon and toolbars customizations into a file that can be imported and used by a team member on another PC.
- Click the file tab under help, Click options, then click Quick access toolbar, then click import/export, and then click Export all customizations.
- Then share the exported file with the user who wants to perform the customizations.
Things to Remember
- You can add the multiple commands in this toolbar but remind that it is a shortcut tool for simplifying the job, so don’t choose the list of commands which you use in long intervals, which makes uncomfortable during searching the command you frequently
- Use regular usage commands to display in the same icons, which makes it easy to retrieve the command while using a file.
This has been a guide to Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) in Excel. Here we discuss how to customize the Quick Access Toolbar, change positions, change command order, and also how to export the toolbar. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –