Table of Contents
What is the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) in Excel?
Quick Access Toolbar in excel is a customizable toolbar which contains a set of commands that visible at the top of the ribbon which is independent. You can add or remove the buttons with your choice by customizing the toolbar but you are not able to resize it. You can move the toolbar to two possible locations one is at the top of the ribbon other one is at the top of the workspace area. With your choice, you can create the custom tabs and groups to choose your frequent and repeated usage commands.
How to use Quick Access Toolbar in Excel?
- Quick access toolbar in excel is a shortcut tool to avoid searching of the commands you frequently use in working on the documents.
- If you have mistaken in the typing the word or made any other errors while making the document you dont need to search the undo tool which is available at this toolbar just click on it at the top.
- It helps us to simplify the accessing the commands of the document.
Example #1 – Customizing the Quick Access Toolbar Excel
On the ribbon, click the appropriate tab or group to display the command that you want to add in the toolbar.
- Choose the left click command, on the excel quick access toolbar short cut menu, Customize Quick access toolbar to more commands like open, save, undo, redo, etc. by clicking the left click on the commands.
- If the command already available in the toolbar in Excel, it shows a tick mark at the left of the tab, you can remove the command if you dont need it.
- If you want to add more commands that not displayed in the list don’t worry click on More commands button visible at the bottom of the tab to add or remove the commands.
- If you choose More commands tab then the screen will display as below.
- If you select the choose commands from Drop menu then you can choose the menus you want to add, by default it shows the popular commands mostly recommended by the users.
- You can select the reference tabs in case if it is difficult to find out the commands search for.
- To add or remove the tools in the toolbar first select the command by left click on which you have to insert which displays at the left side window then select Add>> then the selected command will displays in the right side window then click ok to finish the customizing process once you completed.
- If you have to reset all customizations you have done select the Reset icon then select ok to customize the toolbar to default.
- You can choose the customizations for a single workbook too if you don’t want other files to perform the customizations you choose then select the Customize access tool bars drop down menu then select for XXXX (filename) as shown below.
Example #2 – Changing the Position of the Quick Access Excel Toolbar
- You can only place the toolbar in two positions one is at the top of the ribbon and the other is at the top of the workspace area.
- You cant resize the toolbar but the other option to resize the toolbar is by changing the resolution of your screen.
Explanation of Changing the Position of Quick Access Excel Toolbar
- To replace the toolbars position right click at the drop-down icon and select show below the ribbon to replace as shown below.
- Then the position of the Toolbar will change as below.
- If you want to replace to its default position do the same again this time it shows as show above the ribbon.
Example #3 – Customizing the toolbar by Options Command
- Click the file tab and then click options to customize the quick access toolbar in excel
- Then click Quick access excel toolbar, then make the changes you want as you wish to ease of access on the commands.
Example #4 – Changing the Order of the Commands on the Quick Access Toolbar in Excel
- Choose the left click command, on the quick access toolbar short cut menu then click more commands to Customize Quick access excel toolbar.
- Then click toolbar on the menu to replace the position of the commands to ease of access.
- Under the Customize Quick Access excel toolbar, click the command you want to move, then click the move up or move down
- Then click ok to see the customizations on your screen.
Example #5 – Export a Customized Quick Access Toolbar in Excel
You can export your ribbon and Quick access toolbars customizations into a file that can be imported and used by a team member on another PC.
Explanation of Export a customized Quick Access Excel Toolbar
- Click the file tab under help, Click options then click Quick access excel toolbar, then click import/export, and then click Export all customizations.
- Then share the exported file to the user who wants to perform the customizations.
Things to remember about Quick Access Toolbar in Excel
- You can add the multiple commands in this toolbar but remind that it is a shortcut tool for simplifying the job so dont choose the list of commands which you use in long intervals which makes uncomfortable during searching the command you frequently
- Use a regular usage commands to display in the same icons which makes easy to retrieve the command while using a file.
This has been a guide to Quick Access Toolbar in Excel. Here we discuss how to customize Quick Access Excel Toolbar, change positions, change command order and also how to export the toolbar. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –