What is Status Bar in Excel?
As the name suggests status bar displays the status in the bottom right corner of Excel, it is a customizable bar which can be customized as per the user’s needs, by default the status bar has page layout and setup view available it and to customize it we need to right-click on the status bar and we will find various options.
In Microsoft, every application has a status bar that is on the bottom of the window, which displays a range of options. In every application of Microsoft, there is a parent bar that has all the other options of file insert, etc. and a status bar that is on the far bottom of the window.
Just Like any other window application, Excel also has its own status bar, which is on the bottom of the parent window.
Refer to the screenshot below,
With the help of the status bar, we can have a quick view of various things such as average, sum, minimum,m, and maximum, etc.
For a layman, the person status bar is very helpful as a person need not know the equations in excel for calculating various calculation and just have a quick view while looking just at the status bar.
Status Bar can also be customized. Just right click on the status bar and click on the options we need to have some quick view about it.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
In the above screenshot currently, Average Count Sum and other options are checked.
How to Use Status Bar in Excel? (with Examples)
Let us learn the use of the Status Bar by a few examples.
We will consider that the user has very little knowledge about the formulas to calculate the total marks and the average marks scored by the student in his exams.
- Step 1: Select the marks, i.e., cell B2:B7.
- Step 2: Now, have a look at the status bar. It shows us the sum of the marks and average of the marks, as in our status bar, we had this option checked.
- Step 3: Now, while looking at this status bar, the user can input the values of the average marks and total marks.
- Step 4: Let us calculate the average and sum by the formulas to check whether the values shown by the status bar is correct or not.
- Step 5: Write sum function in cell C8, write down =sum( and select the range B2:B7, and press enter.
- Step 6: Also, in cell C9 write =Average( and select the range B2:B7 and press Enter.
- Step 7: We can check that the values shown in the status bar are absolutely correct.
Consider the following data,
This is the data for sales done by the employees of a company. Suppose the boss is having a quick look at the raw data and wants to know the sales done by each employee either in total or in a respective month or the total sales are made by them in any month. Let us find out.
- To know the total sales are made by Anand, Select cell B2:D2 and see the status bar.
- Now let us calculate the total sales done in January Month. Select Cells B2:B6 and see the status bar.
- Let us find out the average sales done in all the months combined. Select Cells B2:D6 and look at the status bar.
Status bar not only shows the sum and average or the count of selected cells. It does even show more, which we will learn in further examples.
Example #3 – Customize Status Bar
Consider the following data, which shows the total sales done by the employees of a company.
Suppose we want to know the minimum and maximum sales done.
- Step 1: Enable Maximum and Minimum in the status bar, right-click on the status bar, and the customize dialog box appears.
- Step 2: Click on Minimum and Maximum, and a tick mark appears, which shows that these options have been enabled.
- Step 3: Now, we have the option enabled of minimum and maximum, select the data, i.e., B2:B7.
- Step 4: Now, if we look at the status bar, we can see that it also shows what is the maximum value and minimum value selected.
Example #4 – Zoom Option
One of the very useful tools in the status bar is the zoom option. It allows the user to zoom in or zoom out the data for a better view. Any user can adjust it according to their own convenience.
Consider the following same data,
- Step 1: There is a zoom slider in the bottom right of the status bar.
- Step 2: If we click on the plus sign, it zooms the text in the worksheet.
- Step 3: For Example, take it to 150% and have a look at the data.
- Step 4: Now decrease it to 85% and have a look at the data.
- Step 5: Any user can increase or decrease the size of the data. Well, the usual normal size is 100%.
Things to Remember
- Select the appropriate options to view like, sum, average, minimum, maximum.
- To customize the data right-click on the status bar.
- To view any status we desire, we need to select the range of data.
This has been a guide to Status Bar in Excel. Here we discuss how to customize and uses Status Bar in Excel with practical examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –