Investment Banking Tutorials
- Investment Banking Free Course
- Investment Banking Basics
- What is Investment Banking? (Overview of what do they actually do!)
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
- Equity Research in an Investment Bank
- What is Asset Management Company AMC
- Sales and Trading in Investment Banking
- Private Placement, IPO and FPO in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking – Underwriters and Market Makers
- Investment Banking – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Banking – Restructuring and Reorganisation
- Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities
- Market Makers
- Propreitary Trading
- Top 4 Must Know Investment Banking Charts (Free Download Template included)
- Pitch Book | Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Book (Examples)
- Leverage buyout Lbo Analysis
- Trading Floor
- Market Order vs Limit Order
- Merchant Bank
- Best Investment Banking Books
- Nasdaq vs Dow Jones
- Nasdaq vs Nyse
- Investment Banking Careers
- Investment Banking Interview Questions (with Answers)
- How to get into Investment Banking?
- Investment Banking Job Description
- Investment Banking Associate Salary
- Investment Banking Job For Graduates (Engineers) | Top 8 Tips
- How to get an Investment Banking Internship?
- Top 10 Finance Certifications Programs
- Investment Banking Lifestyle
- Investment Banking Exit Opportunities
- Investment Banking Case Studies
- Top 10 Best Finance courses (with Online Certification)
- Investor Relation Job Description
- Financial Analyst Job Description
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investment Banking vs Asset Management
- Commercial Banking vs Merchant Banking
- Investment Banking vs Corporate Banking
- Portfolio Management vs Investment Banking
- Investment Banking vs Hedge Fund Manager
- Investment Banking vs Investment Management
- Investment Banking vs Private Equity
- Careers in Trading
- Investment Banking Firms
- Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks
- Top Middle Market Investment Banks
- Top Boutique Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Dubai
- Investment Banking in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking in Russia
- Investment Banking in Brazil
- Investment Banking in China
- Investment Banking in Australia
- Investment Banking in Saudi Arabia
- Investment Banking in Singapore
- Investment Banking in London (UK)
- Investment Banking in India
- Investment Banking in Ireland
- Investment Banking in South Africa
- Investment Banking in Canada
- Investment Banking in Germany
- Investment Banking in France
- Top Banks
- Top Banks In Austria
- Top Banks In Bahrain
- Top Banks In Belgium
- Top Banks In Bermuda
- Top Banks In British Virgin Islands
- Top Banks In Brunei
- Top Banks In Canada
- Top Banks In Cayman Islands
- Top Banks In Denmark
- Top Banks In Finland
- Top Banks In France
- Top Banks In Germany
- Top Banks In Greenland
- Top Banks In Guernsey
- Top Banks In Ireland
- Top Banks In Isle of Man
- Top Banks In Japan
- Top Banks In Kuwait
- Top Banks In Liechtenstein
- Top Banks In Luxembourg
- Top Banks In Macau
- Top Banks In Norway
- Top Banks In Oman
- Top Banks In Puerto Rico
- Top Banks In Qatar
- Top Banks In Saudi Arabia
- Top Banks In Singapore
- Top Banks In South Korea
- Top Banks In Sweden
- Top Banks In Switzerland
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
Overview of Banks in Sweden
As per the Moody’s Investors Service, Sweden’s banking system is quite stable. The reasons behind this rating is the following –
- Sweden has strong operating conditions that allow the banking system to thrive.
- Secondly, Sweden banking system maintains a low interest rate which will help the profitability and asset quality to increase.
- Thirdly, Sweden’s economic growth is commendable that allows the banking system to evolve in near future.
Moody’s Investors Service has also mentioned that they expect the banking system’s creditworthiness will improve in the next 12-18 months.
As in economic growth, Sweden will outperform many economies in the Europe; Moody’s Investor Service has high hope for Sweden’s banking system.
Structure of Banks in Sweden
There are total 114 banks in Sweden. As we all know there are big 4 top banks in Sweden. The best part is these four banks have acquired around 80% of total assets of the industry’s total assets.
We can divide these 114 banks into four categories – commercial banks, savings banks, co-operative banks, and foreign banks.
As you can expect, the four top banks in Sweden has got the major stakes and other banks are small to medium sized banks.
Top banks in Sweden
Here is a list of top 10 banks in Sweden (source: relbanks.com). We will first talk about the big four banks and then we will discuss the rest.
#1. Nordea Bank AB:
This is the top bank in Sweden. It is also the first major bank among big four banks in Sweden. In 2001, this bank was formed by a merger among four banks – Chritiania Bank, Merita Bank, Unibank, and Nordbanken. It has been serving around 11 million customers. Around 32,000 employees work here. And it has 600 branches across Sweden. At the end of June, 2017, the total assets acquired by this bank were SEK 6183 billion. It is head-quartered in Stockholm.
#2. Svenska Handelsbanken AB:
This is the second largest bank in Sweden and needless to say that it is also one of the big four top banks in Sweden. It is quite an old bank and it was established in the year 1871, around 146 years ago. Around 11,000 employees work here. It has presence in over 20 countries. And this bank has 430 branches only in Sweden. At the end of June, 2017, the total assets acquired by this bank were SEK 2961 billion. Its head-quarter is also located in Stockholm.
#3. Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken:
This is the third largest bank in Sweden. And also one of the big four banks in the country. It has been providing services for 4 million customers. And it has presence in over 20 countries. It is older than Svenska Handelsbanken AB; it was established in the year 1856, around 161 years ago. At the end of June, 2017, the total assets acquired by this bank were SEK 2777 billion. Its head-quarter is also located in Stockholm.
This bank is one of the largest in Sweden. It is also one of the big four banks in the country. It has been serving over 7 million customers and it has around 240 branches in Sweden. Around 14,000 employees work in Swedbank. It has presence in many countries like South Africa, Luxembourg, Norway, Finland, Denmark etc. At the end of June, 2017, the total assets acquired by this bank were SEK 2426 billion. Its head-quarter is situated in Sundbyberg.
#5. Carnegie Investment Bank AB:
This is one of the oldest top banks in Sweden. It was established in the year 1803, around 214 years ago. This is one of the most significant investment banks in Sweden. It has been providing services like investment banking, securities brokerage, and also private banking. It has many branches in Nordic region. In the year 2001, Carnegie Bank acquired HQ Fonder and HQ Bank and has become the leader of investment banking in Nordic region.
#6. Ikano Bank:
Ikano Bank is one of most prominent internet bank operating in Europe. Previously, it was known as IkanoBanken. In the year 2009, the name was changed to Ikano Bank. It provides all sorts of financial services like car loans, mortgage loans, insurance, corporate leasing etc. It was established in the year 1988 and it is a part of Ikano group. Around 3800 people work here. At the end of December, 2016, it has total assets of SEK 41.5 billion.
#7. Forex Bank AB:
This was established in the year 1927, around 90 years ago. But until 1990, it was just a company. It got its license from the Bank of Sweden in 1990s. As of now, Forex Bank AB is the world’s biggest foreign exchange bureaus. It has a turnover of SEK 20 billion. It has around 110 branches in Sweden, Norway, Finland, and in Denmark. It is head-quartered in Stockholm. At the end of March, 2017, it had total assets of SEK 9 billion.
It is also another internet bank which has a significant repute in Sweden. It has been serving over 450,000 customers and it has employed around 300 employees. Skandiabanken is the subsidiary of Scandia group, a Swedish banking and insurance company with 2.5 million customers. It was established around 23 years ago, in the year 1994. At the end of June, 2017, it had total assets of SEK 62,322 million. Its head-quarter is situated in Kungsgatan.
#9. Sveriges Riksbank (Bank of Sweden):
This is the most important bank among all, because Sveriges Riksbank (alternatively, Bank of Sweden) is the central bank of Sweden. This bank controls and regulates the monetary policy of the banking system so that the price remains stable. This bank was founded long, long ago, around 349 years ago, in the year 1668. And it is considered to be the oldest central bank in the whole world. It is authorized under the Riksdag, the parliament of Sweden.
#10. Westra Wermlands Sparbank:
It was one of the oldest banks of Sweden. It was established in the year 1856, around 161 years ago. It is one of most significant savings banks in Sweden. The head-quarter of this bank is located in Arvika and it operates majorly in Western Warmland. In the year 1998, it has become a part of Swedbank. It has employed around 100 employees. At the end of 2016, it had total assets of SEK 9.5 million.
We hope you liked this guide to top banks in Sweden. If you are looking forward to making a career in Banking, then you can checkout some of the awesome resources –
- Best Banks in United Kingdom
- Best Banks in Philippines
- Best Banks in Australia
- Best Banks in Luxembourg
- Best Banking in Ireland
- Best Banks in Greenland
- Best Banks in Brunei
- Best Banks in Singapore
- Best Banks in Qatar
- 10 Best Banks in Denmark
- 10 Best Banks in France
- 10 Best Banks in Finland
- 10 Best Banks in Japan
- Best Banks in Oman
- Best Banks in Kuwait
- Best Banks in Saudi Arabia