Investment Banking Tutorials
- Investment Banking Free Course
- Investment Banking Basics
- What is Investment Banking? (Overview of what do they actually do!)
- Investment Banking vs Commercial Banking
- Equity Research in an Investment Bank
- What is Asset Management Company AMC
- Sales and Trading in Investment Banking
- Private Placement, IPO and FPO in Investment Banking
- Investment Banking – Underwriters and Market Makers
- Investment Banking – Mergers and Acquisitions
- Investment Banking – Restructuring and Reorganisation
- Investment Banking Roles and Responsibilities
- Market Makers
- Propreitary Trading
- Top 4 Must Know Investment Banking Charts (Free Download Template included)
- Pitch Book | Guide to Investment Banking Pitch Book (Examples)
- Leverage buyout Lbo Analysis
- Trading Floor
- Market Order vs Limit Order
- Merchant Bank
- Best Investment Banking Books
- Nasdaq vs Dow Jones
- Nasdaq vs Nyse
- Investment Banking Careers
- Investment Banking Interview Questions (with Answers)
- How to get into Investment Banking?
- Investment Banking Job Description
- Investment Banking Associate Salary
- Investment Banking Job For Graduates (Engineers) | Top 8 Tips
- How to get an Investment Banking Internship?
- Top 10 Finance Certifications Programs
- Investment Banking Lifestyle
- Investment Banking Exit Opportunities
- Investment Banking Case Studies
- Top 10 Best Finance courses (with Online Certification)
- Investor Relation Job Description
- Financial Analyst Job Description
- Investment Banking vs Equity Research
- Investment Banking vs Asset Management
- Commercial Banking vs Merchant Banking
- Investment Banking vs Corporate Banking
- Portfolio Management vs Investment Banking
- Investment Banking vs Hedge Fund Manager
- Investment Banking vs Investment Management
- Investment Banking vs Private Equity
- Careers in Trading
- Investment Banking Firms
- Top Bulge Bracket Investment Banks
- Top Middle Market Investment Banks
- Top Boutique Investment Banks
- Investment Banking in Dubai
- Investment Banking in Hong Kong
- Investment Banking in Russia
- Investment Banking in Brazil
- Investment Banking in China
- Investment Banking in Australia
- Investment Banking in Saudi Arabia
- Investment Banking in Singapore
- Investment Banking in London (UK)
- Investment Banking in India
- Investment Banking in Ireland
- Investment Banking in South Africa
- Investment Banking in Canada
- Investment Banking in Germany
- Investment Banking in France
- Investment Banking in Malaysia
- Investment Banking in Philippines
- Investment Banking in Boston
- Investment Banking in San Francisco
- Top Banks
- Top Banks in Australia
- Top Banks In Austria
- Top Banks In Bahrain
- Top Banks In Belgium
- Top Banks In Bermuda
- Top Banks In British Virgin Islands
- Top Banks In Brunei
- Top Banks In Canada
- Top Banks In Cayman Islands
- Top Banks In Denmark
- Top Banks In Finland
- Top Banks In France
- Top Banks In Germany
- Top Banks In Greenland
- Top Banks In Guernsey
- Top Banks In Ireland
- Top Banks In Isle of Man
- Top Banks In Japan
- Top Banks In Kuwait
- Top Banks In Liechtenstein
- Top Banks In Luxembourg
- Top Banks In Macau
- Top Banks In Norway
- Top Banks In Oman
- Top Banks in Pakistan
- Top Banks in Philippines
- Top Banks In Puerto Rico
- Top Banks In Qatar
- Top Banks In Saudi Arabia
- Top Banks In Singapore
- Top Banks In South Korea
- Top Banks In Sweden
- Top Banks In Switzerland
- Top Banks in UAE
- Top Banks in United Kingdom
- Top Banks in USA
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
Overview of Banks in Guernsey
It has been said that Guernsey has become an international finance center only for one significant reason. It’s because the banks in Guernsey has taken a key role in the development of Guernsey.
In the year 1963, the first bank was established in Guernsey. From then onwards, total 24 licensed banks have been founded and they offer quite diverse services to their customers. From targeting the local customers for retaining banking to attracting an expatriate market for getting huge deposits from high net-worth individuals.
From local banks to foreign banks, Guernsey has it all. Many financial institutions and banks also provide investment banking, foreign exchange services, fund administration, insurance, and also fiduciary.
Structure of Banks in Guernsey
Guernsey’s banking sector is one of the evolving banking sectors in the world. The banks in Guernsey can be divided into two significant sectors –
- Corporate Banking Sector: Corporate banking sector provides benefits to the trading companies and also to the holding companies. Companies which invest and help companies invest in right assets/investments are also being facilitated by the corporate banking sector of Guernsey.
- Private Banking Sector: Private banking sector aims at high net-worth individuals from the UK and other foreign countries to collect huge deposits.
As per the last report in the year 2016, Guernsey’s banks had the total assets of US $109 billion which comprise of securities, advances, loans, investments etc. The total liabilities of these banks were US $154 billion.
Top 10 banks in Guernsey
As you already know, there are 24 licensed banks in Guernsey. We will look at the top 10 banks of Guernsey below –
#1. Royal Bank of Canada (Channel Islands) Limited:
This top bank in Guernsey was established in the year 1973. This bank was being controlled by two authorities – Guernsey Financial Services Commission in Guernsey and Jersey Financial Services Commission in Jersey. This bank is able to accept deposits because it was registered under the Banking Business (Jersey) Law, 1991 and under the Banking Supervision (Guernsey) Law, 1994. Again, it also serves in investment business because it is registered under the Financial Services (Jersey) Law, 1998 and the Protection of Investors (Guernsey) Law, 1987.
#2. ABN AMRO:
This is one of the top banks of Guernsey. The total assets acquired by ABN AMRO in the year 2015 were Euro 390.317 billion. Assets under management in 2014 were Euro 183.7 billion. The profit as reported in the year 2015 was Euro 1.924 billion. And the operating income in the same year was Euro 8.455 billion. ABN AMRO was founded in the year 1991, 26 years ago from now. It is headquartered in Amsterdam, Netherlands, but it has a great presence in Guernsey. Around 22,048 people work here.
#3. Bank J. Safra Sarasin Limited, Guersey Branch:
This top bank has a branch in Guernsey. It is a privately held company and it was founded in the mid-20th Even if this bank is headquartered in Sao Paulo, Brazil, it has a great customer base in Guernsey as well. Around 30,000 employees work here. Joseph Safra has been serving as the Chairman of the entire conglomerate. This bank also serves the customers in countries like the US, the Middle East, Europe, the Caribbean, Latin America, and Asia.
#4. Bank Julius Baer & Co. Ltd. Guernsey Branch:
This top bank in Guernsey is part of Julius Baer Group. Around 5,390 people work in this group. The total assets of Julius Baer in the year 2013 were CHF 72.522 billion. The profit in the same year was CHF 188 million. Revenue in the same year was quite staggering, i.e. CHF 2.195 billion. It was founded in the year 1890, around 127 years ago. It is headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland. This serves as a great foreign bank in Guernsey.
#5. Bank of Cyprus (Channel Islands):
It was founded in the year 1899, around 118 years ago. In the year 2016, it was reported that around 4334 people work here. The total assets acquired by Bank of Cyprus in 2016 were US $32.47 billion. Operating income and revenue in the same year were US $686 million and US $2.69 billion respectively. It has head-quarters in Strovolos, Nicosia, Cyprus; but it has presence in Channel Islands too.
#6. Banque cantonale vaudoise, Guernsey Branch:
This is a Swiss cantonal bank which has branch in Guernsey. It was founded in the year 1845, almost 172 years ago. In Switzerland, this bank has 74 branches as of 2014. As per the report of the year 2014, 1946 employees work in Banque cantonale vaudoise. In the year 2014, it was reported that the total assets of Banque cantonale vaudoise were CHF 41,287.66 million. This bank is one of the 24 banks which have been serving 26 cantons in Switzerland.
#7. Barclays Bank PLC, Guernsey Branch:
It was one of the oldest banks of the world. It was founded on 16th November, 1690, almost 327 years ago. It is head-quartered in London, United Kingdom. However, it has a branch in Guernsey. As per the last report in the year 2016, around 129,400 employees work here. The total assets in the year 2016 were 1.213 trillion pound. Revenue and operating income in the same year were 21.451 billion pound and 3.230 billion pound respectively. It provides services in retail banking, commercial banking, investment banking, and wealth management.
#8. Butterfield Bank (Guernsey) Limited:
The official name of this bank is The Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Limited. This is bank of Bermuda and was founded in the year 1858, almost 159 years ago. Its head-quarter is located in Hamilton, Bermuda. But it has a branch in Guernsey as well. It serves many areas other than Bermuda like Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Switzerland, and United Kingdom. It is listed on Bermuda Stock Exchange (BSX).
#9. Credit Suisse AG (Guernsey Branch):
Credit Suisse AG, Guernsey Branch serves its customers in Guernsey as a subsidiary of Credit Suisse AG. It was founded in the year 1986. The Credit Suisse AG, Guernsey Branch is located in St. Peter Port, Channel Islands. It provides mainly three kinds of services – general banking, private banking, and online banking. Credit Suisse AG, Guernsey Branch is considered to be a debt issuing vehicle for Credit Suisse AG.
#10. Portman (Channel Islands) Ltd.:
Portman (Channel Islands) Ltd. is a subsidiary of Portman Building Society. Prior to that this bank was a subsidiary of Scarborough Building Society. As per the last report we got in 2016, the total assets acquired by this bank were US 2,374.9 billion and the total income in the same year was reported as US $59,836 million. It offers mainly two services – mortgage banking and savings banking. Even if it serves a major area of UK, it also serves customers of Channel Islands and Guernsey as well.
We hope you liked this guide to top banks in Guernsey. If you are looking forward to making a career in Banking, then you can checkout some of the awesome resources –
- Largest Banks in Pakistan
- Largest Banks in UAE
- Top 10 Best Banks in Philippines
- Top 10 Best Banks in Australia
- Banks in Luxembourg
- Bermuda Banks
- Banks in Greenland
- Banks in Brunei
- Banks in Singapore
- Banks in Qatar
- Austria Banks
- Bahrain Banks
- Canada Banks
- Banks in Oman
- Banks in Kuwait
- Banks in Saudi Arabia