Top 10 Best Consulting Books [Updated 2021]
Consulting has become a major profession for most management graduates with the consultant by profession needs to have qualities like Professionalism, Time Management, Judgment, etc. Below is the list of best books on consulting books that you must read in 2021 –
- The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully ( Get this book )
- Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used ( Get this book )
- Getting Started in Consulting ( Get this book )
- The McKinsey Way ( Get this book )
- The Trusted Advisor ( Get this book )
- The McKinsey Mind: Understanding and Implementing the Problem-Solving Tools and Management Techniques of the World’s Top Secret Consulting ( Get this book )
- Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting ( Get this book )
- Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional’s Guide to Growing a Practice ( Get this book )
- The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World ( Get this book )
- Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation ( Get this book )
Let us discuss each of the Consulting books for beginners in detail along with its key takeaways and reviews.
#1 – The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
A Basic Guide to Becoming a Successful Consultant
By Gerald M. Weinberg
The author here explains various techniques of marketing and pricing your services, determine optional methods and avoid traps, always remain above the clients, develop a unique “consultant’s survival kit,” improving trade to achieve perfection, strategic negotiations in tough conditions, evaluate one’s effectiveness and being oneself.
This consulting book gives an overview of methods for marketing the services that include how to develop trust, fixing exact fees for the work, obtain the required exposure, and identify clients. If you act as a consultant or suppose you ever hire any consultant for your work, then you must have this book. In the current era, there are a variety of consultants, such as psychic consultants, funeral consultants, retirement consultants, retirement consultants, bankruptcy consultant, economic consultants, family therapists, etc.
- The scripture is written in simple English language that is easy to understand and having simpler implementation
- There are a variety of examples to make the reader completely understand the concepts while being able to recall all the core consulting studies.
- Explains from scratch all the concepts to become a top consultant that makes it a must-buy for budding consultants
- You would love the style of writing in this consultnig book that gets into the core ideology of the human mind
#2 – Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
Subject Matter Expertise shared through Several Relevant Examples
By Peter Block
This edition is considered to be the “consultant’s bible” and most of the consultants have been relying on it for more than fifteen years to gain relevant knowledge about consulting.
The book has an exhaustive set of practical exercises, case studies, and illustrative examples to clarify the basics of consulting for any irrelevant reader too. The reading is expected to be the “consultant’s bible” second edition. It has been more than fifteen years that several consultants, both external and internal, have been using this impressive consulting bestseller for easily learning about the techniques on how to strategically handle the peers, clients, and others.
- The vast author’s experience is jotted down in simple English language for its readers that must continue to attract the reader’s attention towards the book while creating mouth-to-mouth publicity for the book.
- Flawless Consulting just does not describe the technique of becoming a veteran consultant but also following the consulting path for developing into an improved individual
- The author has offered all his imaginary insight and warmth all through this highly demanded second edition
- It is both for first-timers who wish to become consultants as well as already experienced consultants wishing to enhance to higher levels of efficiency
#3 – Getting Started in Consulting
The latest revision of an innovative guidebook for beginner consultants
By Alan Weiss
The book for rookie consultants in order to grasp their interest through simpler and illustrative writing style.
It is written through a detailed consultation with several global organizations such as the Times Mirror Group, Merck, Hewlett-Packard, and Mercedes-Benz while explaining the concepts of consulting through a number of illustrative examples. This scripture is believed to be the winning handbook for beginner consultants.
- Offers proven strategies and practical solutions for introducing any consulting business.
- The scripture provides details about bookkeepingBookkeepingBookkeeping is the day to day recording of financial transactions such as purchases, sales, receipts, and payments, and it is the first step in the accounting process. It can be prepared in two ways: single-entry and double-entry; however, the double-entry approach is more widely used and recognized in most countries., billing formation strategies, ways of writing proposals, and the technique of financing a consultation drill.
- Readers are expected to acquire concepts about how smaller overhead and superior organizational skills can fetch you a hefty pay package while operating at your home office.
- The book even contains solid reading material for those willing to start immediately generating cash or those having significant cash reserves while keen on making immediate commitments.
#4 – The McKinsey Way
A Breeding Ground for Gurus
By Ethan M. Rasiel
This edition is believed to be the most interesting scripture of all times on consulting, and it’s believed to continue to drive notable reader’s interest once in the hand of a curious information explorer.
The scripture contains treasured lessons on highly diverse subjects, including brainstorming, team-building, interviewing, and marketing. This consulting book is believed to be simple, concise, and useful reading for any fun-loving person who wishes that the global business world sometimes would become a healthier place.
- The book depicts the secrets of McKinsey as a company while encouraging the reader to copy the best practices of a well-known global consulting firm
- It illustrates the techniques of making the research activities more useful while delivering the much-needed end results within the stipulated time period
- This reading really employs the McKinsey expertise and allows you to match the company’s well-structured methodologies in solving problems
- The book advertises McKinsey thinking and ideologies in solving problems while making the brainstorming sessions highly effective
#5 – The Trusted Advisor
A much-needed tool for every advisor, negotiator, and consultant
By David H. Maister, Charles H. Green, Robert M. Galford
This bestseller is believed to be a hugely readable one that is further expected to be significantly welcomed by all the rookie advisors with no prior work experience and similarly liked by the seasoned expert.
A mix of ideas from a variety of real-life instances for becoming a veteran consultant from just a beginner. The greatest author of all time, David Maister, teamed with Robert M. Galford and Charles H. Green to craft essential writing for all advisors, negotiators, and consultants. These authors actually believe in the theory that the primary reason for professional success is the skill to acquire the confidence and trust of clients.
- Besides technical mastery of one’s workstream, the project takers must first earn the confidence and trust of the clients
- For obtaining client’s trust, the book writers generally employ several live instances of both success and failures coupled with past experiences and anecdotes
- The book is expected to be equally liked by both the first time readers or inexperienced counselors and veteran consultants
- People’s superior trust in the author is the key to this book becoming extremely popular among both the first time readers and experienced consultants
#6 – The McKinsey Mind
Understanding and Implementing the Problem-Solving Tools and Management Techniques of the World’s Top Secret Consulting
A Step-by-Step tool for using McKinsey strategies and techniques in solving major business problems while making any business undertaking highly successful
By Ethan M. Rasiel, Paul N. Friga
An easy guide towards successfully putting McKinsey methods to effectively work across any organization.
An advanced version of the global bestseller The McKinsey Way that determines the stepwise technique of using McKinsey tools and solving several major business problems. McKinsey & Company is expected to be the highly secretive and hugely respected firm across the world, while business veterans just can’t ignore getting each and every core business expansion concept from McKinsey.
- Writers Friga and Rasiel illustrate the findings of the book “The McKinsey Way” using actual illustrations, stories, and simple exercises crafted to attract the reader’s attention and get them prepared for the work
- The easy-to-understand language of the book makes it popular both among the beginners and well-established consultants
- The author’s initial book employed anecdotes and case studies from existing and former McKinseyites to illustrate how “the company” cracks the hardest business difficulties of their top-rated clients
- The book “McKinsey Mind” describes in detail and stepwise the usage of McKinsey techniques, tools, and key strategies for uniquely solving a list of major business issues and for making any business undertaking highly successful
#7 – Case Interview Secrets
A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting
Explains the interview secrets for top consulting firms
By Victor Cheng
An exhaustive edition containing several interview illustrations with globally top consulting companies such as BCG Consulting, A.T. Kearney, Oliver Wyman, L.E.K, Monitor, Bain & Company, and McKinsey.
This edition provides solid illustrations of key Case Interview Secrets that help in discovering stepwise directives for dominating the highly difficult, complex, and hugely treating job interview in any consulting firm. The earlier McKinsey management consultant, Victor Cheng, illustrates his well-established secret technique for cracking any case interview in top management consulting firms such as A.T. Kearney, Oliver Wyman, L.E.K, Monitor, Bain & Company, and McKinsey.
- Contains several real-life and in-depth personal interview questions from major consulting firms that bring the reader in an actual interview situation with the company while allowing him to successfully crack the job interview
- Provides hands-on the real-life case studies and determining those 3 particular points that any interviewer expects in the initial 5 minutes of starting a case study and later, coming to the result
- The book unveils actual interview secrets and the mindset of interviewers while conducting your interview and would never reveal their secrets to you.
- Offers 3 key points that interviewers assume during the initial 5 minutes of taking any case interview that would usually determine the final result immediately
#8 – Million Dollar Consulting: The Professional’s Guide to Growing a Practice
Illustrates the stepwise technique of raising capital, setting up a business, and accelerating growth
By Alan Weiss
The well-known Million Dollar Consulting allows consultants with the necessary advice and tools needed for a firm’s expansion that deals with a minimum amount of $1 million every year.
This consulting book explains the well-known business practices in extremely simple language and with a lot of real-life examples. It also provides techniques for the step-by-step raising of the capital, capture new clients, accelerate expansion, and determine fees.
- A stepwise illustration of capital raising techniques, handle new clients, allocate fees, enhance growth, and much more
- This latest and enhanced edition is expected to attract an entirely new class of readers searching for excellent advice necessary for everyone wishing to pursue million-dollar advising or consulting career
- The book is crafted in simple language that can easily be understood both by the beginners and experienced consultants
- Any veteran consultant looking to raise millions of dollars for business purposes is advised to go through this detailed but simple conceptual investment reading
#9 – The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
A Bible of Corporate Strategy in the Business World
By Walter Kiechel
This scripture depicts the truths of business consulting in a historical manner with well-informed explanations of previously used business consulting concepts.
This reading is expected to hugely attract the attention of its readers with consulting explained from scratch when there were no consultants, and anyone who wishes to set up a company just did it without any industry analysis, understanding cost dynamics, evaluating competition, and understanding customer requirements.
- A storytelling format of the book with a novelistic writing style sometimes appear to be inspiring while at other times prove to be almost terrifying
- Explains the revolutionizing of business thinking, alteration in company structures, and changed the way organizations operate
- The book can be considered as the shortcut to becoming a multi-millionaire in this latest and extensive multibillion-dollar key consulting industry.
- The consulting industry veterans such as Michael Porter, Fred Gluck, Bill Bain, and Bruce Henderson offer a detailed illustration of consulting ideologies and concepts being supported by an extensive set of real-life examples that makes the reader extremely comfortable with the book.
#10 – Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
A Guide to Today’s Most Complicated Case Interview Questions
By Marc P. Cosentino
It is particularly for the candidates preparing for global consulting interviews. It explains every smallest detail on any question being asked in the top consulting firm’s interviews. Hence, the top consultant positions may be cracked by studying the interview cracking techniques from this book.
The best demystification of top consulting event interviews with some of the most sought-after global consulting firms can be achieved through this book. Any new candidate willing to crack a consultant position interview in such consulting behemoths must definitely take a reading of this scripture. The detailed explanation of case interview questions makes this book a must-read for those looking to make a career in the consulting industry.
- The book is popular for its simple and detailed writing
- An array of real-life consulting interview examples will for sure excite the reader
- The detailed case study discussion develops an immersive experience for the reader while forcing the booklover to finish it in one go
- The writer through this consulting book shares with the reader a technique that would support you in answering the present time’s highly complex case problems
- Best Communication Books
- Money Books
- Entrepreneur Books of all time
- Quantitative Finance Books
- Top 10 Best Books By Swami Vivekananda
AMAZON ASSOCIATE DISCLOSURE
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.