List of Top 10 Etiquette Books
- The Essentials of Business Etiquette: How to Greet, Eat, and Tweet Your Way to Success
- Modern Manners: Tools to Take You to the Top
- Business Class: Etiquette Essentials for Success at Work
- The Simple Art of Business Etiquette: How to Rise to the Top
- The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
- Business Etiquette for Dummies
- Everyday Etiquette: How to Navigate 101 Common and Uncommon Social Situations
- Modern Etiquette for a Better Life: Master All Social and Business Exchanges
- The Etiquette Edge: Modern Manners for Business Success
- Business Etiquette: 101 Ways to Conduct Business with Charm and Savvy
In simple terms, etiquette means “good manners”. But why do you need to read books on business etiquette? Because to make your business grow, you need to build relationships, a lot of it! Look at any successful business and you would see it’s just the multiplication of great relationships. And to build great relationships, you need to make other people feel comfortable.
So, if you want to make a successful business, you need to master business etiquette. And to start, you can just grab a book from the list below and begin understanding the science of good manners.
#1 – The Essentials of Business Etiquette:
How to Greet, Eat, and Tweet Your Way to Success by Barbara Pachter
If you’re new to business etiquette, start your journey with this one.
If you want to know the fundamentals of business etiquette, your search ends here. This book is mostly about common sense and you would realize how easy it is to implement business etiquette in a professional meeting, social gathering, or when you’re just meeting new people at office/home. This book delivers exactly what it promises to deliver. It teaches business etiquette and it is coming from someone who has years of experience in etiquette and communication training. This book helps you learn how to present yourself in any setting (online and offline) and you would know a bunch of tips and tricks to conducting yourself in a professional arena.
For example, in this book, the author has included sections where you will learn how to introduce yourself, how to dine at a formal event, even how to chat with someone for the first time in Skype. The best part of this book is the book is updated on the basis of technological advancement and doesn’t talk about old school business manners.
- No section of this book is unimportant. You will learn a lot from its 101 critical tips for improving your behavior in any social and professional settings. If you want to learn the basics of business etiquette, you don’t need to read another book.
- Professionals often face situations where they don’t know what to do. For example, as salesman, a professional doesn’t know how to sit, how to talk, how to behave, how to smile, how to pitch, and how to close a call when he is sitting with a client and having lunch. This book has picked many such situations and offered guidance on how you should conduct yourself in these tricky situations.
- This book is short (just 256 pages) and very easy to riff through.
#2 – Modern Manners:
Tools to Take You to the Top by Dorothea Johnson and Liv Tyler
As a human being living in 21st Century, this book will teach you everything about how to act in public.
If you haven’t learned the manners of the 21st century well, this is the only publication you need to read. It is written with the intention to teach people who are in their 20s-40s. This book is very comprehensive – from dining (casual and business) etiquette to learning how to conduct oneself while using technology; from negotiating a table for dinner to the manual for using & holding glasses and so on and so forth.
With this book in hand, you will be able to deal with almost any social situation. Along with that, you will be able to see enough examples so that you can relate to many practical situations. If you want to learn and master the art of good manners, this book should be in your list of must-haves.
- This book is a short read but its scope is very comprehensive. You will be able to learn how to conduct in the many situations such as, how to ace job interviews with ease, how to start a conversation, how to give handshakes that stand out, how to wear proper business wear, how to maintain meetings protocol, how to dine, how to deal with rude customers and so on and so forth.
- It will also save you from decision fatigue and you won’t even need to feel embarrassed in any tricky situation. Pick this book up, read, re-read, and apply in everyday life.
#3 – Business Class: Etiquette Essentials for Success at Work
by Jacqueline Whitmore
Taking a little more care (or learning) may save you years of heartache and loss of employment. Don’t you think?
And you would be able to learn all of it and more from a single book. Let’s say that you are being rude with an international client. But as you don’t know how to conduct yourself with the client, you are not able to catch that you’re making a mistake and that may end your relationship! How would you know?
This book will show you. Often successful people and media show you a surface level secret. They don’t share what made them click. Business etiquette is one of those little, dirty secrets that ensure your success at work and at business. What to do when your client appear in the said venue? How to manage situation when you accidentally drop the fork in the middle of a dinner? How to start a small talk and build professional relationships with your potential employer/client? In this book, the author showed you exact ways to act in all social and professional settings so that you can steadily walk toward success.
- This is a nifty little book (just 150+ pages) and there is a lot of information. This book is a must read if you want to prevent yourself from making any small-big mistakes in social and professional settings.
- You will learn how to create first impression so that it lasts; how to dress up for success; how to dine for dollars, how to master techno-etiquette, and so on and so forth.
#4 – The Simple Art of Business Etiquette
How to Rise to the Top by Playing Nice by Jeffrey L. Seglin
Success is learnable if you can master few basic easy-to-learn business etiquettes. Here’s how.
The whole book can be depicted in a single phrase – “appropriate”. But why should you read this book? Because this book cuts off the fluff and shows you exact ways to earn respectability in social settings. How to tell your co-worker that there is a hygiene issue or a customer that she is standing too close to you, how to dine with a client in a formal business dinner, what to post on social media and so many other things that you may have considered learning from someone. This is your chance. Grab this book and save yourself a lot of aggravation. This book is written and arranged in such a way that you can quickly glance through and find the keys to grow toward success.
- This book only contains 170 pages. And it is written in such a manner that you can quickly riff through. The writing is also lucid and easy to understand.
- You will learn a ton of sound advice. For example, you will learn how to become attuned to body language, how to give thoughtful introductions, how to reduce office conflicts, how to showcase workplace sensitivity, how to write proper business emails, and more.
#5 – The Etiquette Advantage in Business
Personal Skills for Professional Success by Peter Post, Anna Post, Lizzie Post and Daniel Post Senning
This edition will show how to build personal skills (etiquettes) for professional success.
This book is written by someone who has been in the business of etiquette for 25 long years. And this book will help you reach your own personal mountaintop as well. What does it mean to conduct well in a business setting? Why it is important to learn business etiquette? Because without learning the nitty-gritty of business etiquette, you won’t be able to build successful connections! So, if we come down to the basic teaching of this book, it would be just a manual for building coherent business relationships. This book will teach you what is ethical and unethical behavior, how to behave in a situation where people try to discriminate you, how to talk things out of a conflict, how to behave at a beer-drinking Friday and so on and so forth.
- The idea is to teach you good manners so that you can do good business. Written by the family members and also authorities in business etiquette, this book will teach all professionals the art of getting ahead in good manners.
- This book is quite comprehensive and you will learn how to deal with harassment in the workplace, how to build professional skills, social media dos and don’ts, when to take responsibility for your mistakes, how to be ethical, how to ensure privacy online and so many related lessons.
#6 – Business Etiquette for Dummies
by Sue Fox
This book is a comprehensive guide on business etiquette. Read this book to know.
This is a basic book on business etiquette. If you have fundamental knowledge in business etiquette, this book may not be appropriate for you. It is for beginners, people who are just starting out in their career or just passing out schools/colleges and need some advice on behaving well in a business setting. Many readers have also used this book as a textbook for their curriculum.
The only pitfall of this book is this book lacks the recent updates on online and social media etiquette. From making introductions to wearing the right suit, you would know each and every piece of advice on business etiquette, especially then when you’re just starting out in your career.
- You will learn a lot about how to meet and greet, how to make introductions, how to deal with difficult people without losing your temper, how to build and maintain relationships with your peers, how to master cubicle courtesy and so on.
- If you have never read any book on business etiquette, this is a must-read for you. Written with wit and a lot of examples, it will serve you well to brush up your business manners.
#7 – Everyday Etiquette
How to Navigate 101 Common and Uncommon Social Situations by Patricia Rossi
This is a common-sense book for those who aren’t confident about it
That doesn’t mean you don’t have any common sense. Every one of us needs a little nudge and this book will show us how. Social skill is an underemphasized skill in becoming successful. But if you notice, everything depends upon it. No matter how talented you are, how great you do your job, or how well you develop yourself, every one of us needs an overall knowledge in etiquette to make things work for us.
The best part of this book is that it doesn’t talk about any old school scenarios which we don’t face anymore; rather it focuses on dealing with social media and how to conduct our very own digital lives. This isn’t a textbook though; you will find several sections to be pretty useful. You can use this book as a reference and in your top-most list of business etiquette books.
- Do you know which fork to use, when? Do you know how to use the right fork? How would to write a thank you note? How to RSVP to an invitation? These things should be learnt first, if you already don’t know. Grab this book and you will master the basics of everyday etiquette.
- According to the author, business etiquette isn’t a business thing; it’s personal too. How to talk to someone without hard feelings? How to solve a conflict? How to build a relationship without being creepy? These are personal things but have similar impact in business setting as well.
#8 – Modern Etiquette for a Better Life
Master All Social and Business Exchanges by Diane Gottsman
This is a short read on the most important aspects of social and business etiquette.
If you are a busy professional and want to do a short course on business etiquette, this book would be the right one for you. Filled with useful resources, you will be able to use these on and off in all and any business and social settings. Do you know why you feel awkward in a social situation? Because you don’t feel secure enough to express yourself freely! After reading this book, all your insecurities will go away and you will learn to become confident in expressing yourself well in all common and uncommon situations. From being in dilemmas to building skills, this book will guide you to become a better communication, better human being, and a better professional.
- First of all, this book is a short read. That means you don’t need to spend a ton of time-devouring in something that’s vast. And secondly, it’s very lucidly written so that anyone can read within a day or two.
- From wearing the right clothes to shaking hands in the most appropriate way, from how to travel with your boss to how to conduct on social media, and from table manners to baby showers; you will learn a ton and will be able to apply immediately in your personal and professional life.
#9 – The Etiquette Edge
Modern Manners for Business Success by Beverly Langford
If you want to make good manners your competitive advantage, read this book.
In this beautifully written book, you will learn how to be civil in any or all situations. The author has shared her experiences and thoughts on how to establish and then nourish what we call “a culture of civility”. According to the author, the first and most important thing to learn is how to communicate well. Once you learn the art of effective communication, half of the battle is won. Along with that, you need to learn the tit-bits of non-verbal communication, what shouldn’t be said, how to write an email, how to leave a job, how to travel in a flight and so on and so forth. Modern set of manners lacks one basic thing of business etiquette and that is civility. This book will teach you to make civility your competitive advantage.
- Very few books have combined useful advice on business etiquettes under one cover. This one did. Not only it covers the old school civility; it also includes the modern art of using your smart phone, conducting yourself on social media, conducting meetings, handling conversations with tact and care and so on.
- If you feel that your behavior is inappropriate in social/business settings, this book will sharpen your edges and will curb your impoliteness.
#10 – Business Etiquette
101 Ways to Conduct Business with Charm and Savvy by Ann Marie Sabath
Do you have any idea about “perception impact”? You will learn and master it if you read this book.
The book is based on common sense. But most of it is not common as they say that common sense isn’t very common these days. When you act unprofessionally, for example, if you wear jeans and a t-shirt for an interview, does it create the right “perception impact”? We know the answer already, don’t we? But still, when the situation arises we quickly forget the need for civility and common sense and act very petty. This is what this book is all about – to help you identify your uncommon sense in common professional and business situations. The most important lessons of this book are also very common and but they are explained in the most prudent way. For example, instead of using “do not disturb” sign, you can simply put the “available time” when you would be able to meet your peers.
- This book is a perfect one for people who are starting their career and don’t have a clue about how to behave, how to write an email, how to make a great first impression, and how to leave a specific telephonic message, etc.
- It can be a great reference book if you have been giving a lot of interviews or meeting a lot many people day in and day out.
Other Book Suggestions
AMAZON ASSOCIATE DISCLOSURE
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com