Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Formulas Cheatsheet
- Financial Functions in Excel
- Logical Functions in Excel
- TEXT Functions in Excel
- Lookup Reference in Excel
- Address Function in Excel
- Choose Function in Excel
- Column Function in Excel
- Columns Function in Excel
- REPLACE Function in Excel
- GetPivotData in Excel
- HLOOKUP in Excel
- Hyperlink Excel Function
- INDIRECT Function in Excel
- LOOKUP Excel Function
- Match Excel Function
- VLOOKUP Excel Function
- INDEX Excel Function
- VLOOKUP vs HLOOKUP
- TRANSPOSE Excel Function
- Row Function in Excel
- OFFSET Excel Function
- Maths Functions in Excel
- POWER Function in Excel
- EVEN Function in Excel
- ODD Function in Excel
- ABS Function in Excel
- SUM Function in Excel
- SUMPRODUCT Function in Excel
- SUBTOTAL Excel Function
- ROUND in Excel
- AGGREGATE Excel Function
- PRODUCT Excel Function
- RAND Excel Function
- LOG Excel Function
- EXPONENTIAL Excel Function
- SUMIF in Excel
- TAN Excel Function
- CEILING Excel Function
- LN Excel Function
- SIGN Excel Function
- COS Excel Function
- FLOOR Function in Excel
- SIN Excel Function
- ROUNDDOWN Excel Function
- ROUNDUP Function in Excel
- COMBIN Excel Function
- INT Excel Function (Integer)
- Date and Time Function in Excel
- Statistical Function in Excel
- AVERAGE Excel Function
- CORREL Excel Function
- COUNT Excel Function
- COUNTIF Excel Function
- FREQUENCY Excel Function
- MAX Excel Function
- MEDIAN Excel Function
- GROWTH Excel Function
- SLOPE Function in Excel
- TREND Function in Excel
- SMALL Function in Excel
- MODE Excel Function
- LARGE Excel Function
- PERCENTILE Excel Function
- LINEST Excel Function
- T-TEST in Excel
- QUARTILE Excel Function
- Information Functions in Excel
- Excel Charts
- Excel Tools
- Excel Tips
PMT Function in Excel (Table of Contents)
PMT Function in Excel
PMT function is advance excel formula and one of the financial functions used to calculate the monthly payment amount against the simple loan amount. Simple you have to provide the function basic information, including loan amount, interest rate and duration of payment, and function will calculate the payment as result. The payment amount calculated by this PMT excel function returns the amount without taxes, reserve payments, fees (sometimes associated with loans).
PMT Function Formula
Explanation of PMT Function in Excel
There are five parameters that are used in this PMT excel function. In which three are compulsory and two are optional.
- Rate: Rate represents the interest rate for the loan amount. If you are taking a monthly payment in this PMT excel function then you should convert the rate in a monthly rate and should convert the nper in a month too.
- Nper: Nper is the total number of installments for the loan amount. Example considering the 5 years terms means 5*12=60
- Pv: Pv is the total loan amount or present value.
- [Fv]: It is also called the future value and it is optional in this PMT excel and if not passed in the this function then it will be considered as zero.
- [Type]: It can be omitted from PMT fn and used as 1 in case if payments are due at the beginning of the period and considered as 0 in case the payments are due at the end of the period.
How to Use PMT Function in Excel
This function is very simple. Let us now see how to use this PMT excel function with the help of some examples
PMT Function Excel Example #1
Suppose the loan amount is 25,000 and interest rate is 10% annual and the period is 5 years.
Here the number of payments will be =5*12=60 payments in total.
In this PMT excel, we have considered C4/12 because 10% rate is annual and by dividing by 12 we get the monthly rate. Here future value and type are considered as zero.
The output will be:
- This will return the value in as negative amount as this amount will be credited from your bank.
- To convert it in the positive value just use the negative sign before this PMT excel.
Then the output will be $531.18.
- You can also change the currency type to change the format of the cell.
Just select the cell and convert the format and select the currency type as per your requirements.
PMT Function Excel Example #2
It can be used to calculate the payments on a Canadian mortgage.
Suppose loan amount is 25000 and the annual interest rate is 10%, compounded semiannually and the period is 5 years.
Here annual rate/2+1 is the semiannual interest in terms of annual rate and the rate is 10/2=5% for every 6 months. As payments are monthly and payments are semiannual so the rate is a power of (1/6).
PMT Function Excel Example #3
PMT function in Excel can be used as automatic loan calculator.
In the previous example, we calculated the monthly payment by providing the loan amount, interest rate and a number of payments. In automatic loan calculator, we are using annual rate, time and frequency of payments.
Before understanding the automatic loan calculator create a list for calculation of the number of payments i.e.
By using the list we can calculate the numbers of payments within a year by using simple vlookup from the list. i.e. 26 for Bi-weekly.
For the total number of payments multiple it from the total number of years i.e. =3*26=78.
Here we again took the annual rate of 5% and loan amount as 25000.
Then PMT function in excel looks like: =-PMT(C30/E31,E32,C33) and output will be $346.74.
PMT Function Excel Example #4
Things to remember about the PMT Function in Excel:
Below are the few error details which can come in PMT function in excel as the wrong argument will be passed in the functions.
- Error handling #NUM!: If Nper value is 0 then it will throw a #NUM error.
- Error handling #VALUE!: result will be a #VALUE! Error when any non-numeric value has been passed in the PMT function formula.
In this function a monthly amount and rate should be considered in a month.
- You need to convert the rate to monthly rate or quarterly as per your requirement.
- The payment amount calculated by this PMT excel function returns the amount without taxes, reserve payments, fees (sometimes associated with loans).
You can download this PMT function in Excel template here – PMT Function Excel Template
This has been a guide to PMT Function in Excel. Here we discuss the PMT Formula and how to use PMT function along with practical examples and downloadable excel templates.