Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
Circular reference in excel means referring to the same cell in which we are working, circular reference is a type of pop up or warning displayed by excel that we are using a circular reference in our formula and the calculation might be incorrect, for example in cell A1 if I write a formula =A1*2 this is a circular reference as in inside the cell A1 I used cell reference to A1 itself.
Excel Circular Reference (Table of Contents)
- Circular Reference in Excel
Excel Circular Reference
An equation in a cell that specifically or in a roundabout way refers to its very own cell is known as a circular reference. For instance, cell B1 underneath straightforwardly refers to its very own cell which is not possible. We can’t use the formula for the same cell in the very same cell.
It means that when you use the formula in the same cell which refers to the same cell, it created a circular reference and shows a warning that found one or more circular reference.
When you got the above error message, you can click Help for more data, or close the message window by clicking either OK or the cross the dialog box which appears when it found a circular reference. When you close the message window, Excel shows either a zero (0) or the last determined an incentive in the cell.
How to Enable/Disable Circular References in Excel?
If you want to circular formulas to work, you must enable reiteration calculations in your Excel worksheet.
- Go to file,
see at the last Click on Option.
- Go to Formulas, see the calculation option at the top and enable the Iterative Calculation. Then Click Ok.
Once you turn on the Iterative Calculation option in formulas tab. Please check and specify the options as below mention:
- Maximum Iterations: It indicates how often the equation ought to recalculate. The higher the number of emphases, the additional time the computation takes.
- Maximum Change: It determines the most extreme change between figuring results. The smaller the number, the more precise outcome you get and the additional time Excel takes to ascertain the worksheet.
You can change the maximum iteration and maximum as and when required, it all depends upon you to make it customized.
How to Use Circular Reference in Excel?
Below are the given data.
Step 1: Grand total the quantity of the items which are sold including the cell in which you are using formula also.
The cell which contains the total value returned to 41,300 instead of 413 once iterative calculation was enabled.
How to Find Circular References in Excel?
- To find a circular reference, first Go to the Formulas tab, click on the option bolt by Error Checking, and then go to Circular References and the last entered circular reference is shown here:
- Tap on the cell shown under Circular References, and Excel will convey you precisely to that cell.
- When you do this, the status bar will tell you that circular references are found in your exercise manual and show a location of one of those cells:
- If find a circular reference in another excel sheet, it does not show cell reference only it shows “circular reference”.
- When you open the file again after saving then also it shows the warning message that one or more formula contains a circular reference.
Why Circular Reference is Not Recommended?
As you definitely know, utilizing circular references in Excel is a technique which is not recommended and not a methodology which you can use easily and helps to reduce your efforts. Aside from execution issues and a notice message showed on each opening of an exercise manual (except if iterative estimations are on), circular references can prompt various different issues, which are not quickly evident.
Try to ignore using circular reference in excel which is recommended by excel experts too.
Outcomes of Circular Reference in Excel
- The arrangement joins, which implies a steady final product is come to. This is the alluring condition.
- The arrangement wanders, which implies that from emphasis to cycle, the contrast between the current and the past outcome increments.
- The arrangement switches between two values. For instance, after the initial iteration the outcome is 1, after the next iteration, the outcome is 10, after the following cycle, the outcome is 100, etc.
Points to Remember
- Most of the times, when you use more than one formula in excel with a circular reference; Excel doesn’t show the notification message over and again.
- While using circular reference, always check that iterative calculation in your excel sheet should be enabled otherwise you won’t be able to use circular reference.
- While using the circular reference, it may lead to slow your computer because it causes your function to be repetitive until a particular condition is met.
- Under Maximum Change Value, type the smallest number for circular reference to proceed. When the number is smaller, the more exact the outcome and the additional time that Excel needs to calculate a worksheet.
- When you open the file again after saving then also it shows the warning message that one or more formula contains a circular reference. Always take care of the warning and check the that circular reference is enabled.
This has been a guide to Circular Reference in Excel. Here we discuss how to find and resolve circular references in excel along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You can also go through our other suggested articles –