How to Insert Page Numbers in Excel?
In Excel, there are two methods to insert page numbers in excel. In both methods, the page number can only be inserted as a header or footer. Furthermore, the page number (as header/footer) is not visible in the normal mode.
- Step 1: Go to the worksheet in which you want to insert page numbers in excel.
- Step 2: Go to the Insert tab and select Header and Footer is given in the Text group
The display of the worksheet will automatically change to the Page Layout view after clicking “Header & Footer”.
- Step 3: You can now click “Click to add the header” or “Click to add footer” on the worksheet.
- Step 4: Upon clicking, a design tab will be added. In the design tab, the Header & Footer Tools will also be displayed.
- Step 5: To add Footer, click on the Footer. To add the footer in the left side, click on the left section box. To add the footer on the right side, click on the right section box. To add the footer in the center, click in the center section box. You can do the same to specify the position in the header as well.
- Step 6: Click on Page Number, to insert page number in the (above) specified section of header/footer. Let us select the left section in the footer.
- Step 7: You will notice that &[Page] will appear in the selected section. You can skip clicking Page number and add “&[Page]” to the section where you want the page number to appear on the page.
- Step 8: Now, when you click outside of this selected box, the page number will appear.
- Step 9: You can now go back to the Normal mode of display. To do this, go to the View tab, and click on “Normal” given in the Workbook Views group.
Let us now see another example to insert page numbers in excel.
- Step 1: First, add the Header & Footer in your worksheet then go to the Page Layout tab and in the Page Setup menu, click the Dialogue box launcher given next to the Page Setup menu.
You will notice that a Page Setup dialog box will appear.
- Step 2: In this pop-up window, go to the Header /Footer tab.
- Step 3: To insert page number in excel worksheet, select “Page 1” in the header if you want to add page number as a header, or select “Page 1” in the footer if you want to add page number as a footer. This selection can be done by scrolling down the menu. Let us select “Page 1”. There will be a preview that will show how the page number will appear.
- Step 4: Then, click OK. You will notice that the page number has been added.
This type of method (Method 2) is used to insert page numbers when you want to insert page numbers in multiple sheets. Suppose you have two worksheets in which you want to add the page numbers firstly, select both the worksheets. Then, follow the steps discussed above.
Note: When you select more than one sheet, Group will be displayed along with the name of the worksheet as “[Group]” at the top.
Different Formats to Insert Page Numbers in Excel
There are different formats to insert the page numbers in excel such as:
Page 1 of? (Page # of #total-pages)
Page 1, Sheet 1
Page 1, Worksheet-name.xlsx
Prepared by Name, Page 1.
You can choose which direction the header or Footer (page number) should be displayed Left, Right or Center. In method 1, you can directly specify on which side the page number is to be displayed. In method 2, you can follow the following steps:
- In Page Layout tab select a Dialogue box launcher given next to the Page Setup menu. Then, go to the Header /Footer tab,
- Go to Custom Header or Custom Footer. Let us select the custom footer
- Suppose you want to add a title in the Left side of the footer and page number in the center. Also, you do not want to display “Page” and only want the page number. In the Left section, add the title you want to display and in the Center section, add &[Page] (or select the box containing #) to display the page number.
- Select OK.
- If you want to add the format: “Page 1 of #pages”, you can use the syntax as Page &[Page] of &[Pages].
- Select OK.
If there is only one page, it will show “Page 1 of 1”. If there are a total of two pages, it will display “Page 1 of 2”.
How to Set a Different Starting Page Number in Excel?
If you want to start page numbering with a different number, say 101, you can do it in Excel.
- In the Layout tab, select Header & Footer and go to the Page tab in the Page Setup dialogue box.
- In the First page number option, change “Auto” to 101. The page numbers will be automatically updated. Auto option starts numbering pages from 1 (for the first page of the print job) or from the sequential number of the print job.
- Alternatively, in the Page Setup dialogue box, go to the Header/Footer tab and select Customize Header (or Footer) in the dialogue box, then you can use the syntax:
Or in the format “Page 101 of #pages” use the syntax as:
Page &[Page]+100 of [Pages]+100
- And Select OK. The format will appear in the preview section of the footer.
You can also reset the number of rows and columns to be displayed on a single page. In this case, we have the names of the students and the marks they have obtained in five different subjects. You may wish to have all these marks and students names be displayed in a single page. To do this, you can select the Fit to 1 page wide option.
Change the Order in which Pages are Numbered
To change the order in which pages are numbered, go to the Layout tab and open the Page Setup in Excel dialogue box. On the Page tab in the dialogue box, change the First-page number. By default, it is set to “Auto”, which is 1.
Things to Remember
- Page numbers in Excel can be inserted as headers and footers
- Page numbers are displayed in the Page layout mode or printed ones. They are not displayed in the Normal mode.
- Different sheets in an Excel worksheet are required to insert page numbers separately.
- The format of page number can be customized.
- The start numbering can also be customized in the Page Setup option.
This has been a guide to Page Numbers in Excel. Here we discuss how to Insert Page Numbers in Excel with examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –