Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
By default if we print our excel worksheet we will not have page numbers in it, in order to keep the data in serial wise we insert page numbers in excel’s worksheet, page numbers are not visible in the normal view but it is visible in the print preview or the layout view, page numbers are inserted in the headers and footers and same is available in the page layout tab.
Table of Contents
- How to Insert Page Numbers in Excel?
- Display Formats for Page Numbers in Excel
- Setting up a Different Starting Page Number
Excel Page Numbers
Usually, in the normal mode, there is no need to insert page numbers in Excel. However, it may be required to insert page numbers while using the Page Layout mode or printing the worksheet pages. In Excel, page numbers can be inserted in the header or footers on worksheet pages. These page numbers are displayed on the Page Layout view or on printed ones and are not visible in the Normal view.
#1 – How to Insert Page Numbers in Excel?
In Excel, page numbers are inserted as headers or footers in the worksheet pages. Suppose you have a worksheet in which you want to insert page numbers in excel. In the normal mode, the sheet looks like –
In Excel, there are two methods to insert page numbers in excel. In both methods, the page number can only be inserted as a header or footer. Furthermore, the page number (as header/footer) is not visible in the normal mode. Let us now see the first method to insert the page number.
- Go to the worksheet in which you want to insert page numbers in excel.
- Go to the Insert tab and select Header and Footer is given in the Text group
The display of the worksheet will automatically change to the Page Layout view after clicking “Header & Footer”.
- You can now click “Click to add header” or “Click to add footer” on the worksheet.
- Upon clicking, a design tab will be added. In the design tab, the Header & Footer Tools will also be displayed.
- To add Footer, click on the Footer. To add the footer in the left side, click on the left section box. To add the footer on the right side, click on the right section box. To add the footer in the center, click in the center section box. You can do the same to specify the position in the header as well.
- Click on Page Number, to insert page number in the (above) specified section of header/footer. Let us select the left section in the footer.
- You will notice that &[Page] will appear in the selected section. You can skip clicking Page number and add “&[Page]” to the section where you want the page number to appear on the page.
- Now, when you click outside of this selected box, the page number will appear.
- You can now go back to the Normal mode of display. To do this, go to the View tab, and click on “Normal” given in the Workbook Views group.
Let us now see another example to insert page numbers in excel.
- First, add the Header & Footer in your worksheet then go to the Page Layout tab and in the Page Setup menu, click the Dialogue box launcher given next to the Page Setup menu.
You will notice that a Page Setup dialog box will appear.
- In this pop-up window, go to the Header /Footer tab.
- To insert page number in excel worksheet, select “Page 1” in the header if you want to add page number as a header, or select “Page 1” in the footer if you want to add page number as a footer. This selection can be done by scrolling down the menu. Let us select “Page 1”. There will be a preview that will show how the page number will appear.
- Then, click OK. You will notice that the page number has been added.
This type of method (Method 2) is used to insert page numbers when you want to insert page numbers in multiple sheets. Suppose you have two worksheets in which you want to add the page numbers firstly, select both the worksheets. Then, follow the steps discussed above.
Note: When you select more than one sheet, Group will be displayed along with the name of the worksheet as “[Group]” at the top.
#2 – Display Formats for Page Numbers in Excel?
There are different formats to insert the page numbers in excel such as:
Page 1 of? (Page # of #total-pages)
Page 1, Sheet 1
Page 1, Worksheet-name.xlsx
Prepared by Name, Page 1.
You can choose which direction the header or Footer (page number) should be displayed Left, Right or Center. In method 1, you can directly specify on which side the page number is to be displayed. In method 2, you can follow the following steps:
- In Page Layout tab select a Dialogue box launcher given next to the Page Setup menu. Then, go to the Header /Footer tab,
- Go to Custom Header or Custom Footer. Let us select the custom footer
- Suppose you want to add a title in the Left side of the footer and page number in the center. Also, you do not want to display “Page” and only want the page number. In the Left section, add the title you want to display and in the Center section, add &[Page] (or select the box containing #) to display the page number.
- Select OK.
- If you want to add the format: “Page 1 of #pages”, you can use the syntax as Page &[Page] of &[Pages].
- Select OK.
If there is only one page, it will show “Page 1 of 1”. If there are a total of two pages, it will display “Page 1 of 2”.
#3 – Set a Different Starting Page Number in Excel
If you want to start page numbering with a different number, say 101, you can do it in Excel.
- In the Layout tab, select Header & Footer and go to the Page tab in the Page Setup dialogue box.
- In the First page number option, change “Auto” to 101. The page numbers will be automatically updated. Auto option starts numbering pages from 1 (for the first page of the print job) or from the sequential number of the print job.
- Alternatively, in the Page Setup dialogue box, go to the Header/Footer tab and select Customize Header (or Footer) in the dialogue box, then you can use the syntax:
Or in the format “Page 101 of #pages” use the syntax as:
Page &[Page]+100 of [Pages]+100
- And Select OK. The format will appear in the preview section of the footer.
#4 – Resetting Page
You can also reset the number of rows and columns to be displayed on a single page. In this case, we have the names of the students and the marks they have obtained in five different subjects. You may wish to have all these marks and students names be displayed in a single page. To do this, you can select the Fit to 1 page wide option.
Change the Order in which Pages are Numbered
To change the order in which pages are numbered, go to the Layout tab and open the Page Setup dialogue box. On the Page tab in the dialogue box, change the First-page number. By default, it is set to “Auto”, which is 1.
Things to Remember While Inserting Page Number in Excel
- Page numbers in Excel can be inserted as headers and footers
- Page numbers are displayed in the Page layout mode or printed ones. They are not displayed in the Normal mode.
- Different sheets in an Excel worksheet are required to insert page numbers separately.
- The format of page number can be customized.
- The start numbering can also be customized in the Page Setup option.
This has been a guide to Page Numbers in Excel. Here we discuss how to Insert Page Numbers in Excel with examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –