What are the Gridlines in Excel?
Gridlines are little lines which are made of dots to divide cells from each other in a worksheet, the gridlines are little faint invisibility they are available in the page layout tab, and there is a checkbox which needs to be checked to activate gridlines and uncheck it to deactivate gridlines.
It helps you to define the boundary on each cell, which helps to separate the data accordingly. Gridline helps you to categorize the data and organize it in a way that you can clearly see and separate the data accordingly.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
- Gridlines are the light grey lines that separate the cells, lines, and columns on a spreadsheet, which is normally utilized in computational programming for tracking/keeping the records or information. Microsoft Excel and Google Spreadsheet are two of the most notable applications that utilization gridlines.
- Mainly gridlines are used in Microsoft Excel to separate the data in a cell because excel contains lots of data, needs some vertical and horizontal lines, which help you to organize and categorize the data. By using gridlines, you will be able to make the table of your data as required.
#1 How to Add Gridlines in Excel Worksheet?
- Step 1: Go to the View tab in the excel toolbar.
- Step 2: Check the box Gridline to show the gridlines in the excel sheet.
- Step 3: Once you check the box, you will now be able to see the gridlines on the workbook, as shown below.
#2 How to Remove Gridlines from Entire Worksheet?
- Step 1: Select the required data or entire workbook, or you can use the shortcut in excel Ctrl+A to select the entire worksheet. then Go to the View tab in the excel toolbar. And then Uncheck the box Gridline to remove the grid lines from the sheet:
- Step 2: Once you uncheck the box, it will automatically hide all the gridlines from the spreadsheet.
#3 How to Hide Gridlines from the Specific or Particular Cell?
- Step 1: Select the range of cells from which you want to remove the excel gridlines.
- Step 2: Right-click on the range which you have selected and chosen the Format Cells from the context menu, which shows in the dialogue box.
- Step 3: Go to the border tab under the format cell tab.
- Step 4: Select the white color and press the Outline and Inside buttons under the Presets option showing under the border tab. Press Ok.
- Step 5: After clicking Ok, it will hide the gridline from that particular range which you have selected.
#4 How to Print Excel Sheet with Gridlines?
- Step 1: Go to the page layout tab in the excel toolbar to see the gridline option.
- Step 2: In the Sheet Options group on the right-hand side, within the option Gridlines, check the Print excel checkbox.
- Step 3: Once you enabled this option while printing the worksheet, you will be able to see the gridlines. You can take a look at the below-given screenshot.
- Gridlines can be customized as per your choice of color, thickness, and even the pattern.
- Hide or enable the option of a grid line is in the toolbar.
- This option does not require additional settings.
- With one click, you can hide/unhide the excel grid lines.
- It is very convenient to show the gridline because it helps you to organize the data.
- While taking the printout of the excels spreadsheet, gridlines can’t be printed.
- Gridlines are too light in color.
- People who are color blindly, they won’t be able to see the color and identify the same.
- Gridlines cannot be customized.
Things to Remember
- Suppose you want to make Excel show/hide gridlines in two or more sheets, press and hold the Ctrl key and click on the sheet tabs (which is required) at the end of the Excel window. Now you can see particular changes will be applied to all the selected spreadsheets.
- If you want to hide or show the gridlines from the entire spreadsheet, just uncheck the Gridlines option for hiding the lined and check the box to show the lines.
- Remove the gridlines once your work is over because sometimes you got confused while you hide the gridlines.
- When you want to print the excel workbook, make sure to use borders so that it can be printed.
- You can also use a shortcut key on the keyboard, press ALT+W+VG to show or hide the gridlines.
- You can also remove/hide the gridlines by applying a background color “no fill” to the cells/selected range in the worksheet.
This has been a guide to Gridlines in Excel. Here we discuss how to insert and add gridlines in excel along with practical examples. Also, we discuss how to remove and hide gridlines. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –