How to Unmerge Cells in Excel? (using 3 methods)
There are 3 methods to unmerge cells in excel:
- Unmerge Cells using Excel Ribbon
- Unmerge Cells using Excel Shortcut
- Unmerge Cells and Copy the Original Value to Each Unmerged Cell
Let us discuss each of them in detail –
Method #1 – Unmerge Cells Using the Excel Ribbon
We have given below Order details product-wise. Let us discuss these with the help of examples.
Follow below steps for unmerging the cells:
- Select the cells that you want to unmerge. Refer below screenshot.
- Go to the HOME tab, then click on Merge & Center option under Alignment, then Click on the drop-down menu, it will display a list of items as shown in the below screenshot. Click on the Unmerge Cells option.
- This option will unmerge all the merged cells in the selection.
The final result is shown below:
The content of each merged cell will be placed into the upper left cell and other unmerged cells will be empty.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
Method #2 – Unmerge Cells Using Keyboard Shortcut Keys
- Select the cells that you want to merge and Press key ALT + H + M + U and it will unmerge all the unmerged cells.
Also, have a look at these top excel shortcuts
Method #3 – Unmerge Cells and Copy the Original Value to Each Unmerged Cell
In the above example, as we can see the result is not in a structured format. In some cases you need to do both the things simultaneously: Unmerging the cells and also fill each unmerged cell with the value from the original cell.
We will learn this with the below example.
Let’s take again the order data with product-wise.
To unmerge cells and fill the cells with original values. Follow the below steps:
- Select the cells that have merged, then go to the HOME tab and click on the Merge & Center option under the Alignment, then click on the drop-down menu, it will display a list of items under that click on Unmerge Cells option.
- This will unmerge all the cells as shown in the below screenshot.
- Select the entire table again and go to the HOME tab, then click on Find & Select option under the Edition section. It will open a drop-down list as shown below. Click on Go To Special option.
- It will open a Go To Special dialog box as shown in the below screenshot.
- Click on the Blanks radio button as shown below, then click on OK.
- It will select all the blank cells. See the below screenshot.
- Type the = (equal sign) and press the Up Arrow Key on the keyboard. Refer below screenshot.
- This will create a simple formula that fills the blank cell with the value from the above cell. As we want to fill all unmerged cells that are currently blank, press CTRL+ENTER key to enter the formula in all the selected cells.
The final result is shown below:
Things to Remember
- Before unmerging the cells, It needs to check whether the merged cells are there in the selected area or not.
- For this select the cells in the worksheet.
- On the HOME tab in the alignment section check:
- If the Merge & Center option isn’t highlighted, it means there are no merged cells in the selected area.
This has been a guide to Unmerge Cells in Excel. Here we discuss how to unmerge cells using excel ribbon method, excel shortcut, and also how to copy the original value to unmerged cells along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –