Excel Unmerge Cells (Table of Contents)
How to Unmerge Cells in Excel?
If you have related data in multiple cells and you combine that scattered data into a single column for alignment or comparison purposes. Thus, you merge a few cells into a bigger one cell.
This merged cell in excel has some limitations. You can not sort the data in columns that have at least one merged cell. You might also have a problem while filtering, selecting a range etc.
In this article, we will learn how to unmerge cells in Excel to get the things back as previous using two methods –
- Unmerge Cells using Excel Ribbon
- Unmerge Cells using Excel Shortcut
Let us discuss these with the help of examples.
#1 – How to Unmerge Cells Using the Excel Ribbon Method?
We have given below Order details product wise.
Follow Below Steps for Unmerging the Cells:
- Select the cells that you want to unmerge. Refer below screenshot.
- Go to the HOME tab, then click on Merge & Center option under Alignment, then Click on drop-down menu, it will display a list of items as shown in below screenshot. Click on Unmerge Cells option.
- This option will unmerge all the merged cells in the selection.
The final result is shown below:
The content of each merged cell will be placed into the upper left cell and other unmerged cells will be empty.
#2 – How to Unmerge Cells Using Excel Shortcut Keys?
- Select the cells that you want to merge and Press key ALT + H + M + U and it will unmerge all the unmerged cells.
Also, have a look at these top excel shortcuts
#3 – How to Unmerge Cells and Copy the Original Value to Each Unmerged Cell?
In above example, as we can see that result is not in structured format. In some cases you need to do both the things simultaneously: Unmerging the cells and also fill each unmerged cell with the value from the original cell.
We will learn this with below example.
Let’s take again the order data with product wise.
To unmerge cells and fill the cells with original values. Follow below steps:
- Select the cells that have merged, then go to the HOME tab and click on the Merge & Center option under the Alignment, then click on drop-down menu, it will display a list of items under that click on Unmerge Cells option.
- This will unmerge all the cells as shown in the below screenshot.
- Select the entire table again and go to the HOME tab, then click on Find & Select option under Edition section. It will open a drop-down list as shown below. Click on Go To Special option.
- It will open a Go To Special dialog box as shown in below screenshot.
- Click on the Blanks radio button as shown below, then click on OK.
- It will select all the blank cells. See below screenshot.
- Type the = (equal sign) and press the Up Arrow Key on the keyboard. Refer below screenshot.
- This will create a simple formula that fills the blank cell with the value from the above cell. As we want to fill all unmerged cells that are currently blank, press CTRL+ENTER key to enter the formula in all the selected cells.
The final result is shown below:
Things to Remember About Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Before unmerging the cells, Its need to check whether the merged cells are there in the selected area or not.
- For this select the cells in the worksheet.
- On the HOME tab in the alignment section check:
- If the Merge & Center option isn’t highlighted, it means there are no merged cells in the selected area.
You can download this Unmerge Cells Excel template here – Unmerge Cells Excel Template
This has been a guide to Unmerge Cells in Excel. Here we discuss how to unmerge cells using excel ribbon method, excel shortcut and also how to copy the original value to unmerged cells along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –