Barcodes, in general, are codes which can be only readable by machines, they are basically lines and bars which are codes for characters, barcodes in excel are fonts which represents characters we provide, in excel by default we do not have any font available for barcodes, we need to install a separate font in order to use barcodes in excel from a third party.
Barcode is a machine-readable code that will be in a predefined format of dark bars and white spaces that is affixed to retail stores, identification cards, etc. to identify a particular product, number, person, etc. It is a way to encode the information in a visual pattern that a machine can read. Barcode in excel can be created by using the barcode font from the font list. In order to get the option of different excel barcode font, we should install it from the dafont website
How to Generate a Barcode in Excel? (Step by Step)
Let’s see how can we generate barcode in excel for different code which includes the numbers and letters:
Step 1: Download the barcode font list by clicking the download option as shown in the above picture. Open the folder that got downloaded and we can find the link to install the barcode fonts as below:
- Step 2: We can also access different type of barcodes by clicking on the barcode as shown below:
- Step 3: When we click for the other barcode options as shown in the above figure we can see the other fonts that are available for barcodes as follows:
Example #1 – Creating barcode using the “Code39” barcode Font
Let’s see how can we generate a barcode in excel by using the “Code39” font by taking few values to convert into a barcode.
Code39 is a common barcode that is used for various labels such as inventory, badges and industrial applications. This character consists of numbers 0-9, upper case letters A-Z, space character and few symbols like . $ / + %.
Assume the below number that is quoted for items/products as below:
Above is the list of items that are in the retail store and their code as per the retail owner to create the barcode in order to scan it. The code consists of numbers that need to be created for the barcode. Make sure the format for the code is in “Text”.
As we are going to generate a barcode as per the Code39 font we should download the font from the web link which was discussed earlier as below:
Install the “Code39” from the above link.
We can see the font style of “Code39” in the font list after installing it, close and reopen the excel. We can see in the list as follows:
Now link the barcode column with code column and then change the font of the “Bar Code” column to “Code39” .
We can visualize the barcodes as follows:
Here we can observe the barcodes for the code number of the products and we can increase the size of the barcode as per our convenience for better visualization by increasing the font size.
Example #2 – Creating barcode using the “Barcode” Font
Let’s see how can we generate a barcode by using the “Barcode” font by taking few values to convert into a barcode.
Assume that we have got the items list for the shop. These items have some code and we need to convert the code into barcode but here we got the code which includes both numeric and alphabetical as below:
Make sure that the codes are formatted in TEXT format. And we should download the font i.e. “Barcode” from the dafont website and install the same as below:
As when we install the barcode font, we can observe that this will reflect in the font list of the excel sheet.
Now link the barcode cell with code cell and convert it into barcode by selecting the “Barcode” font from the font list in excel.
We can visualize the barcodes as follows:
Here we can observe the barcodes which also have the number in the bottom of the code though the code is alpha-numeric and we can increase the size of the barcode as per our convenience for better visualization by increasing the font size.
Example #3 – Creating barcode using the “Code128” Font
Code128 is one more type of font for barcode conversion in excel which is a high-density linear symbology that encodes numbers, text and also the entire 128 ASCII character set (from ASCII 0 to ASCII 128). Code128 contains 106 different barcode patterns depends upon which of the character sets are being used.
Assume that we have the code of the items for retails store which is an alpha-numeric as below:
Download the “Code128” font from the “dafont” website and install the same.
We can see “Code128” will appear in the font list of excel sheet which can be used to convert the code into a barcode.
As shown in the above picture we should change the font of the code to “Code 128” which is already installed in our PC.
The result will be the barcode for the given code as shown in the below:
The above barcodes are “Code 128” font barcodes which will be used for scanning purposes. The size of the barcode can be increased by increasing the font size for better visualization.
Things to Remember
- Barcodes fond should be downloaded and installed from different web sources like “dafont”, “idautomation” and so on.
- Code39 does not consider lower case characters when we download and install it through “dafont” but it is easily encoded with extended fonts provided in the IDAutomation Code-39 Font package.
- Barcodes are used in several applications like industrial, retail stores, medical centers and so many which plays a key role in easily scanning the product with a certain code.
- The bars for a different type of barcodes will vary in terms of the width of the bar and any other width in spaces between bars, but not be the same as per other barcode fonts.
- There are many other barcode fonts are available in different web sources and gives us a lot many options to choose from as per our requirement.
- Code39 barcode is sometimes also referred to as Code 3 of 9 is the most used barcode among other barcode fonts and is scannable by every barcode scanner. This can encode 26 upper-case letters, 10 digits & 7-Special characters.
- Code 128 barcode consists of data digits, start character, check character and a stop character. This contains 106 different barcode patterns.
This has been a guide to Barcode in Excel. Here we discuss how to create Barcode in Excel for different code which includes the numbers and letters with examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –