Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Barcodes, in general, are codes which can be only readable by machines, they are basically lines and bars which are codes for characters, barcodes in excel are fonts which represents characters we provide, in excel by default we do not have any font available for barcodes, we need to install a separate font in order to use barcodes in excel from a third party.
Barcode in Excel (Table of Contents)
- Barcode in Excel
- Using the “Code39” barcode font
- Using the barcode font
- Using the “Code128” barcode font
Barcode is a machine-readable code which will be in a predefined format of dark bars and white spaces that is affixed to retail stores, identification cards, etc. to identify a particular product, number, person, etc. It is a way to encode the information in a visual pattern that a machine can read. Barcode in excel can be created by using the barcode font from the font list. In order to get the option of different excel barcode font, we should install it from the dafont website
Let’s see how can we create barcode in excel for different code which includes the numbers and letters:
Download the barcode font list by clicking the download option as shown in the above picture. Open the folder that got downloaded and we can find the link to install the barcode fonts as below:
We can also access different type of barcodes by clicking on the barcode as shown below:
When we click for the other barcode options as shown in the above figure we can see the other fonts that are available for barcodes as follows:
How to Create Barcode in Excel?
Below are the examples of Barcode font in Excel.
Example #1 – Creating barcode using the “Code39” barcode Font
Let’s see how can we create barcode by using “Code39” font by taking few values to convert into a barcode.
Code39 is a common barcode which is used for various labels such as inventory, badges and industrial applications. This character consists of numbers 0-9, upper case letters A-Z, space character and few symbols like . $ / + %.
Assume the below number that is quoted for items/products as below:
Above is the list of items that are in the retail store and their code as per the retail owner to create the barcode in order to scan it. The code consists of numbers which need to be created for the barcode. Make sure the format for the code is in “Text”.
As we are going to create a barcode as per the Code39 font we should download the font from the web link which was discussed earlier as below:
Install the “Code39” from the above link.
We can see the font style of “Code39” in the excel font list after installing it, close and reopen the excel. We can see in the list as follows:
Now link the barcode column with code column and then change the font of the “Bar Code” column to “Code39” .
We can visualize the barcodes as follows:
Here we can observe the barcodes for the code number of the products and we can increase the size of the barcode as per our convenience for better visualization by increasing the font size.
Example #2 – Creating barcode using the “Barcode” Font
Let’s see how can we create barcode by using “Barcode” font by taking few values to convert into a barcode.
Assume that we have got the items list for the shop. These items have some code and we need to convert the code into barcode but here we got the code which includes both numeric and alphabetical as below:
Make sure that the codes are formatted in TEXT format. And we should download the font i.e. “Barcode” from the dafont website and install the same as below:
As when we install the barcode font, we can observe that this will reflect in the font list of the excel sheet.
Now link the barcode cell with code cell and convert it into barcode by selecting the “Barcode” font from the font list in excel.
We can visualize the barcodes as follows:
Here we can observe the barcodes which also have the number in the bottom of the code though the code is alpha-numeric and we can increase the size of the barcode as per our convenience for better visualization by increasing the font size.
Example #3 – Creating barcode using the “Code128” Font
Code128 is one more type of font for barcode conversion in excel which is a high-density linear symbology that encodes numbers, text and also the entire 128 ASCII character set (from ASCII 0 to ASCII 128). Code128 contains 106 different barcode patterns depends upon which of the character sets are being used.
Assume that we have the code of the items for retails store which is an alpha-numeric as below:
Download the “Code128” font from the “dafont” website and install the same.
We can see “Code128” will appear in the font list of excel sheet which can be used to convert the code into a barcode.
As shown in the above picture we should change the font of the code to “Code 128” which is already installed in our PC.
The result will be the barcode for the given code as shown in the below:
The above barcodes are “Code 128” font barcodes which will be used for scanning purposes. The size of the barcode can be increased by increasing the font size for better visualization.
Things to Remember
- Barcodes fond should be downloaded and installed from different web sources like “dafont”, “idautomation” and so on.
- Code39 does not consider lower case characters when we download and install it through “dafont” but it is easily encoded with extended fonts provided in IDAutomation Code-39 Font package.
- Barcodes are used in several applications like industrial, retail stores, medical centers and so many which plays a key role in easily scanning the product with a certain code.
- The bars for a different type of barcodes will vary in terms of the width of the bar and any other width in spaces between bars, but not be the same as per other barcode fonts.
- There are many other barcode fonts are available in different web sources and gives us a lot many options to choose as per our requirement.
- Code39 barcode is sometimes also referred to as Code 3 of 9 is the most used barcode among other barcode fonts and is scannable by every barcode scanner. This can encode 26 upper-case letters, 10 digits & 7-Special characters.
- Code 128 barcode consists of data digits, start character, check character and a stop character. This contains 106 different barcode patterns.
You can download this Barcode Excel template here – Barcode Excel Template
This has been a guide to Barcode in Excel. Here we discuss how to create Barcode in Excel for different code which includes the numbers and letters with examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –