How to Create a Venn Diagram in Excel? (2 Methods)
Below are the 2 methods to create a Venn diagram in Excel.
- Create a Venn Diagram using Excel Smart Art
- Create Venn Diagram Using Excel Shapes
Now let us discuss each of the methods in detail along with an example
#1 Create a Venn Diagram Using Excel Smart Art
Follow the steps to create a Venn Diagram in Excel.
- Go to the Insert tab and click on Smart Art.
- Now, we can see the below smart art window.
- Now, select the “Relationship” category.
- Scroll down and select “Basic Venn Diagram.”
- Once the selection is done, now we will have below the Venn diagram.
- Now, click on “Text” to enter the text as VLOOKUP, HLOOKUPHLOOKUPHlookup is a referencing worksheet function that finds and matches the value from a row rather than a column using a reference. Hlookup stands for horizontal lookup, in which we search for data in rows horizontally., INDEX + MATCH.
Now, this diagram shows that all three formulas belong to one category, i.e., LOOKUP Functions.
- Now, we can play around with the formatting of the smart art under the “Design” tab. Click on “Design” tab u003eu003e Change Colors.
- Change the color as per your liking.
Like this, we have many Venn Diagram examples; based on our requirement, we can choose different Venn Diagrams.
#2 Create Venn Diagram Using Shapes in Excel
- Step 1: Go to the Insert tabInsert TabIn excel “INSERT” tab plays an important role in analyzing the data. Like all the other tabs in the ribbon INSERT tab offers its own features and tools. Under Insert Tab we have several other groups including tables, illustration, add-ins, charts, Power map, sparklines, filters, etc., click on Illustrations and select shapes then, choose Oval shape.
- Step 2: First, draw an oval shape.
- Step 3: Like this, draw two more oval shapes in the form of a Venn Diagram. Make the fill as no fill.
- Step 4: Now insert Text boxes for each circle.
- Step 5: I have inserted 5 text boxes. Now in the first box, I will write VLOOKUP; in the Second box, I will write INDEX + MATCH; in the third box, I will write HLOOKUP.
- Step 6: We have another two boxes; you must be wondering what do we need to write with these boxes. In the middle text box, write “LOOKUP Functions,” and in the other box, write it as “One Dimensional.”
- Step 7: Now, from this diagram, we can make the interpretation as there are three formulas VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, and INDEX + MATCH; all these are Lookup function so related to each other.
That is where our middle text box Lookup Function in excelLookup Function In ExcelThe LOOKUP excel function searches a value in a range (single row or column). It returns a corresponding match from the exact position of another range. The corresponding match is a piece of information associated with the value being searched., which belongs to all the circles.
Then we have one more box which says “One Dimensional” this applies only to the boxes “VLOOKUP & HLOOKUP,” so this shows that the feature “One Dimensional” is applicable only to those two formula circles.
Like this, we can create a relationship between two or more similar things using Venn Diagrams.
Things to Remember
- The built-in Venn diagram doesn’t support all the kinds of diagrams for relationship creation.
- For our own needs, we need to draw Venn Diagrams through shapes.
- We can format shapes with different colors and sizes.
This has been a guide to Venn Diagram in Excel. Here we discuss how to create a Venn Diagram Using Smart Art and shapes in Excel with examples and a downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –