How to Create a Venn Diagram in Excel? (2 Methods)
Below are the 2 methods to create a Venn diagram in Excel.
- Create a Venn Diagram using Excel Smart Art
- Create Venn Diagram Using Excel Shapes
Now let us discuss each of the methods in detail along with an example
#1 Create a Venn Diagram Using Excel Smart Art
- Step 1: Go to Insert tab and click on Smart Art.
- Step 2: Now we can see the below smart art window.
- Step 3: Now select the “Relationship” category.
- Step 4: Scroll down and select “Basic Venn Diagram”.
- Step 5: Once the selection is done, now we will have below the Venn diagram.
- Step 6: Now click on “Text” to enter the text as, VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX + MATCH.
Now, this diagram shows that all three formulas belong to one category i.e. LOOKUP Functions.
- Step 7: Now we can play around with the formatting of the smart art under the “Design” tab. Click on “Design” tab >> Change Colors.
Step 8: Change the color as per your liking.
Like this, we have many Venn Diagram examples based on our requirement we can choose different Venn Diagrams.
#2 Create Venn Diagram Using Shapes in Excel
- Step 1: Go to Insert tab, click on Illustrations and select shapes then, choose Oval shape.
- Step 2: First, draw an oval shape.
- Step 3: Like this draw two more oval shapes in the form of Venn Diagram. Make the fill as no fill.
- Step 4: Now insert Text boxes for each circle.
- Step 5: I have inserted 5 text boxes. Now in the first box, I will write VLOOKUP, in the Second box I will write INDEX + MATCH, in the third box I will write HLOOKUP.
- Step 6: We have another two boxes, you must be wondering what do we need to write with these boxes. In the middle text box write “LOOKUP Functions” and in the other box write it as “One Dimensional”.
- Step 7: Now from this diagram we can make the interpretation as there are three formulas VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, and INDEX + MATCH, all these are Lookup function so related to each other.
That is where our middle text box Lookup Function in excel which belongs to all the circles.
Then we have one more box which says “One Dimensional” this applies only to the boxes “VLOOKUP & HLOOKUP”, so this shows that the feature “One Dimensional” is applicable only to those two formula circles.
Like this, we can create a relationship between two or more similar things using Venn Diagrams.
Things to Remember
- The built-in Venn diagram doesn’t support all the kinds of diagrams for relationship creation.
- For our own needs, we need to draw Venn Diagrams through shapes.
- We can format shapes with different colors and sizes.
This has been a guide to Venn Diagram in Excel. Here we discuss how to create a Venn Diagram Using Smart Art and shapes in Excel with examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –