Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
Convert Excel to CSV (Table of Contents)
Convert Excel to CSV File
Comma-separated values (CSV) are a useful feature used vividly in the keep the tabulated data in simple text format. They have significance in the application and programming world to best utilization of the data through importing or exporting of data from the excel files. The CSV format helps the users to a quick review of the data and making corrections if required. The changes such as quoting values and delimiter are easily done. It is possible because data is presented in a simple format to easily understand by a new user without having much experience with it. The below-presented information helps to examples to understand the converting process of excel data to CSV without making any damage to the symbols and special characters.
How to Convert Excel to CSV?
Here are examples of converting Excel to CSV File.
Example #1 – Converting of Excel files into CSV
This example illustrates the conversion of simple Excel sheet into CSV format
- In the first step, move to Microsoft office button (2007 version) or File tab (2013 version) and select the ‘save as’ option or press shortcut of F12 to display the save as dialogue box.
- Type the name of the file in the file name box and select the save as type as CSV comma delimited. The dialogue box as shown in the below screenshot.
- Select the destination folder to store the file for future use and click on the save button.
- After that two dialogue boxes are displayed one indicates that active Excel sheet going to be saved in CSV format and second indicates the message of several features not supported by the CSV format.
Example #2 – Converting of Excel files into CSV Using UTF-8
This example illustrates the conversion of Excel files using UTF-8 with CSV. When an excel sheet contained special characters and data in other languages, these are not displayed properly. To display properly, excel file converted using UTF-8 shown in the figure.
- First, the excel sheet should be converted into the Unicode text format using the same type as a .txt This results in a tab space between the data in a line.
- The tab space is replaced through comma convert data into a comma delimited file.
- In this step, file format .txt is converted into CSV through ‘save as’ option or changing excel file name with extension .csv
Example #3 – Exporting Excel Files into CSV Using UTF-16
Converting Excel to CSV is easily through UTF-16 is done in two steps.
- Select the ‘save as’ option through the Microsoft Office button and choose the Unicode text format .txt under the save as type box and click on ok.
- Right click on the file in windows explorer and change the file format CSV.
Example #4 – Use of Google Spreadsheets to Convert the Data
Google spreadsheets are helpful in converting data to CSV format over the internet following five steps.
- Go to Google Drive click on Spreadsheet.
- Import an existing file or create a new sheet with data
- Upload the file to Google spreadsheet to from the computer and choose the replace spreadsheet option.
- Next click on import data.
- Finally, move to File tab, then choose download as Comma-separated values to convert into CSV as illustrated in the figure.
Explanation of Converting Excel to CSV File
A user needs to use any of the technology available to convert the Excel sheet into CSV format. Proper dealing of warnings and security messages is required while opening or converting into CSV files and making changes to the formats. It is easy to convert the data presented in any language easily using UTF-8.
First of all, needs to convert the data into text format by changing the file format to .txt. the data is displayed as shown below.
The data should be converted into the delimited comma format, by replacing the tab space with a comma. After that file format should be saved to.CSV from text format.
How to Use CSV Files?
CSV files are used by the Data Scientist to visualization of tabular data. These are easily retrieved by into various applications in creating the databases and spreadsheets. There are two ways in which CSV files are used by the web developer including
- Easy to import to databases irrespective of the software using for developing a website
- Better management of high volume of data is possible since data in plain text format without any formulae.
To use the CSV files effectively needs to import them into applications like databases and convert them into tables to do further analysis on the data. It increases the ease in making decisions accurately.
For example, when we imported customer data into an Excel sheet, the address of customers is in different columns and time takes to copy the data from different cells. CSV helps in handling this situation better by separating data through commas.
Things to Remember While Converting Excel to CSV
The following things should remember to convert excel to CSV file successfully.
- It needs to do the right selection of the different CSV formats available in the Excel sheet such as CSV Macintosh, CSV MS-DOS, and Unicode text. The appropriate format should be selected based on the user requirements
- At a time only one sheet of excel workbook that is active is converted into CSV format
- When data imported into the word processing application, tab space should be replaced with a comma to convert it successfully to the comma separated values
- A user can use free tools available on the internet to convert the Excel sheet into CSV format without much effort.
- It is impossible to convert all sheets of excel workbook at a time.
This has been a guide to Convert Excel to CSV File. Here we discuss how to convert Excel to CSV File along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –