DAY Function in Excel
DAY function in excel is a date function in excel which is used to calculate the day value from a given date, this function takes a date as an argument and returns a two-digit numeric value as integer value which represents the day of the given date, the method to use this function is as follows =Edate (Serial Number ), the range for the output for this formula is from 1-31 as this the range of the dates in excel date format.
- Date_value/serial_number : A valid excel date with the format of the serial number for returning the day of the month.
- Return Value: The return value will be a numeric value between 1 and 31 which represents the day component in a date.
- The date entered in the DAY formula must be a valid Excel date in the serial number format. For example, the date to be entered is Jan 1, 2000. This is equal to the serial number 32526 in Microsoft Excel.
- You should also note that Microsoft Excel can only handle dates after 1/1/1900.
- DAY formula in excel is helpful in financial modeling in many business models.
How to Open DAY Function in Excel?
- You can simply enter the desired DAY formula in excel in the required cell to attain a return value on the argument.
- You can manually open the DAY formula in Excel dialogue box in the spreadsheet and enter the logical values to attain a return value.
- Consider the screenshot below to see the DAY formula in excel under the Date & Time Function menu.
- Click on the DAY function excel and the dialogue box will open, where you can enter the arguments to attain a return value, i.e. the day of the given specific date in this case.
Let’s look below at some of the examples of DAY function. These examples will help you in exploring the use of DAY function in Excel.
Based on the above Excel spreadsheet, let’s consider three examples and see the DAY Formula return based on the syntax of the function.
Consider the below screenshots of the above examples for clear understanding.
The Microsoft DAY Function can be used for various purposes and applications within the spreadsheet. Some of the common applications of DAY Function in spreadsheets are given below –
- Getting a series of dates by year
- Adding years to date
- Getting series of dates by month
- Getting a day from the date
- Adding days to a specific date
- Getting the first day of the month
Sometimes, you can face a problem that the result of the DAY Function is not an integer value between 1 and 31, but it looks like a date. This problem can arise when the cell or column is formatted as a ‘date’ instead of ‘general’. You have to format the cell or column as ‘General’.
If you get any kind of error from the DAY Function, then it can be any one of the following –
- #NUM! – This kind of error occurs in DAY function when the supplied argument is a numeric value, but it is not recognized as a valid date.
- #VALUE! – This kind of error occurs in DAY function when the supplied argument is a text value and cannot be considered as a valid date.
DAY Excel Function Video
This has been a guide to the DAY Excel Function. Here we discuss the DAY Formula in excel and how to use it along with examples and a downloadable template. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –