DAY function in excel is a date function in excel which is used to calculate the day value from a given date, this function takes a date as an argument and returns a two-digit numeric value as integer value which represents the day of the given date, the method to use this function is as follows =Edate (Serial Number ), the range for the output for this function is from 1-31 as this the range of the dates in excel date format.
DAY Function in Excel (Table of Contents)
- DAY Function in Excel
- DAY Formula
- Usage Notes
- How to Open DAY Function?
- How to Use DAY Function with Examples?
DAY Function in Excel
DAY Function is categorized under Date & Time Function. It can be used as a worksheet function (WS) as well as VBA function (VBA) in excel. Generally, you can use the DAY function for extracting a day number from a date into the cell. DAY Function can also be used for feeding a day value into another formula, for example, the DATE function. The DAY Function is useful for the process of financial analysis as it returns the day of a date.
In terms of financial modeling, DAY Formula is very much useful. Let’s take few examples – in a restaurant business, the owner needs to know which day of the week is busiest or analyze any emerging trends, in a fashion boutique, the owner needs to know which day is the time when the most numbers of the customers come in. In the above situations or similar situations, DAY Function is really helpful.
DAY Formula in Excel
Below is the formula for DAY Function.
The DAY formula in excel accepts the following parameters and arguments:
Date_value/serial_number – A valid excel date with the format of the serial number for returning the day of the month.
The return value will be a numeric value between 1 and 31 which represents the day component in a date.
- The date entered in the DAY formula in excel must be a valid Excel date in the serial number format. For example, the date to be entered is Jan 1, 2000. This is equal to the serial number 32526 in Microsoft Excel.
- You should also note that Microsoft Excel can only handle dates after 1/1/1900.
- DAY formula in excel is helpful in financial modeling in many business models.
How to Open DAY Function in Excel?
- You can simply enter the desired DAY formula in excel in the required cell to attain a return value on the argument.
- You can manually open the DAY formula in Excel dialogue box in the spreadsheet and enter the logical values to attain a return value.
- Consider the screenshot below to see the DAY formula in excel under the Date & Time Function menu.
- Click on the DAY function excel and the dialogue box will open, where you can enter the arguments to attain a return value, i.e. the day of the given specific date in this case.
How to Use DAY Function in Excel with Examples?
Let’s look below at some of the examples of DAY function in Excel. These examples will help you in exploring the use of DAY function in Excel.
Based on the above Excel spreadsheet, let’s consider three examples and see the DAY Formula return based on the syntax of the function.
Consider the below screenshots of the above examples for clear understanding.
Applications of DAY Function
The Microsoft Excel DAY Function can be used for various purposes and application within the spreadsheet. Some of the common applications of DAY Function in spreadsheets are given below –
- Getting series of dates by year
- Adding years to date
- Getting series of dates by month
- Getting a day from the date
- Adding days to a specific date
- Getting the first day of the month
DAY Function Common Problem
Sometimes, you can face a problem that the result of the DAY Function is not an integer value between 1 and 31, but it looks like a date. This problem can arise when the cell or column is formatted as a ‘date’ instead of ‘general’. You have to format the cell or column as ‘General’.
DAY Function Errors
If you get any kind of error from the DAY Function in excel, then it can be any one of the following –
#NUM! – This kind of error occurs in DAY function when the supplied argument is a numeric value, but it is not recognized as a valid date.
#VALUE! – This kind of error occurs in DAY function when the supplied argument is a text value and cannot be considered as a valid date.
Things to Remember
- The DAY Function returns the numeric value which depicts the day of the month when provided with a date value.
- The DAY Function can be used both as Excel Worksheet (WS) function as well as VBA function.
- DAY Function is categorized under Date & Time Function.
- The DAY Function can also be used with the DATE Function.
- The DAY Function return value ranges from numeric value 1 to 31.
- The Excel DAY Function is very helpful in the process of financial analysis and financial modeling.
DAY Excel Function Video
This has been a guide to DAY Excel Function. Here we discuss the DAY Formula in excel and how to use DAY function along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –