Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
- Power Bi (35+)
In excel we have different types of formats available for numbers, text and even dates, for date we have many inbuilt formats or we can customize our own format which excels can recognize, also there are various function in worksheet and VBA which are used to make any random date to a recognizable format to excel, In excel date format can be accessed from the number option in home tab or the format option from the right-click to a cell.
Excel Change Date Format (Table of Contents)
- #1 – How to Change Date Format in Excel?
- #2 – Different Types of Date Formats in Excel
- #3 – How to Fix Date Errors in Excel?
Date Format in Excel
Excel stores date as serial numbers and according to the format given by the user, it will display the date in the excel. The date is the one thing which leads to many confusion because it can be formatted in many ways. Having in-depth knowledge about dates is a great skill to have in your resume.
Excel can store the date from 01st Jan 1900, anything you try to store before this date excel will not recognize any dates prior to this date.
Assume you have number 1 in the cell.
Apply date format to it and see what will be the result.
Select the above date format and you will see the date as 01 January 1900.
Similarly, 2 will be formatted as 02 January 1900 and 3 will be formatted as 03 January 1900. This is the basis of date format in excel.
#1 – How to Change Date Format in Excel?
We can change the date format as per our wish. Take below data for the demonstration purpose.
Now we need to change the format to something like this 25 February 2018. So follow the below steps.
Step 1: Select all the dates first.
Step 2: Right click and select Format Excel Cells or else you can press Ctrl + 1 as the shortcut key.
Step 3: You will see the below window now.
Step 4: Now go to Custom.
Step 5: Right now we have the dd-mm-yyyy format. So change this to dd-mmmm-yyyy.
Step 6: After the above format applied click on Ok. We will have results like this now.
#2 – Different Types of Date Formats in Excel
Format 1: Like this, we can change the date format however we want. Now apply below code to see the result as 25-Feb-2018.
We have a result like this now.
Format 2: Now apply the code dd mmm yyyy to have a date without separators.
Code: dd mmm yyyy
The result will be as follows.
Format 3: Like how we can show full month name, similarly we can also show day with respective day name with the short name and full name.
The result will be as follows.
Format 4: In order to have a full day and full month the code is “dddd mmmm yyyy”.
The result will be as follows.
We have seen how date format changes in excel according to the format given by the user. Below are the codes and their result.
#3 – How to Fix Date Errors in Excel?
We have learned the dynamics of date format in excel. Sometimes when we download the data from the web we usually don’t get to see the exact date format as we wanted, we need to fix those errors.
If the date is formatted as TEXT then we don’t see accurate dates.
In order to fix this issue, we have several methods to excel. Apply VALUE Excel function to get the serial number from this text formatted dates.
VALUE function converts the text looking number to an actual number.
VALUE function returns the result as serial numbers. Now apply a date format to have proper dates.
Now we have proper dates.
Some times when we download the data from the web we usually don’t get proper date format, one such case is the date with the backslash.
Step 1: Press Ctrl + H to open FIND & REPLACE Excel dialogue box.
Step 2: In the Find what: box type backslash (\). and in Replace with: enter forward slash (/).
Step 4: Click on Replace All, we will have results like this.
Things to Remember While Changing Date Format in Excel
- Excel always treats the date as serial numbers.
- If you have incorrect date format use VALUE function to convert the text value to date format.
- Instead of VALUE function, we can also DATEVALUE function.
- We can change the date format as per the given codes in excel.
This has been a guide to Date Format in Excel. Here we discuss how to change and custom format Dates in Excel with practical examples and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –