Excel Functions Tutorials
- Excel Tips
- Excel vs Access
- Excel Rows vs Columns
- Apple Numbers vs Excel
- 3D Reference in Excel
- Absolute Reference in Excel
- Mixed References in Excel
- Excel Reference to Another Sheet
- Array Formulas in Excel
- Arrays in Excel VBA
- Auto Numbering in Excel
- AutoFit in Excel
- AutoCorrect in Excel
- AutoSave in Excel
- AutoRecover in Excel
- Bullet Points in Excel
- Break Links in Excel
- Barcode in Excel
- Change Case in Excel
- CAGR Formula in Excel
- Calculate Age in Excel
- Calculate Percentage in Excel Formula
- Cell Reference in Excel
- Checklist in Excel
- Circular Reference in Excel
- Column Sort in Excel
- Column Lock in Excel
- Move Columns in Excel
- Custom List in Excel
- Consolidate in Excel
- Combine Cells in Excel
- Compare Two Columns in Excel
- Compare and Match Columns in Excel
- Compound Interest Formula in Excel
- Convert Columns to Rows in Excel
- Convert Date to Text in Excel
- Convert Numbers to Text in Excel
- Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
- Convert Excel to CSV
- Count Characters in Excel
- Count Rows in Excel
- Count Unique Values in Excel
- Countif not Blank in Excel
- Create Templates in Excel
- Family Tree in Excel Template
- Custom Number Format in Excel
- Delete Row Shortcut in Excel
- Divide in Excel Formula
- Drop Down List in Excel
- Dynamic Tables in Excel
- Dashboard in Excel
- KPI Dashboard in Excel
- Date to Text in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Database in Excel
- Delta Symbol in Excel
- $ Symbol in Excel
- Excel Column to Number
- Edit Drop-Down List in Excel
- Equations in Excel
- Exponents in Excel
- Excel Extensions
- Excel Translate
- Excel Not Responding
- Excel Find and Replace
- Find and Select in Excel
- Excel Subtraction Formula
- Excel Formula for Grade
- Excel as Calculator
- Excel Formula Not Working (Updating)
- Excel Table Styles & Formats
- Excel vs Google Sheets
- External Links in Excel
- Excel Alternate Row Color
- Excel Worksheet Tab
- Extract Number from String Excel
- Evaluate Formula in Excel
- Find Duplicates in Excel
- Finding Links in Excel
- Filter Shortcut in Excel
- Formatting in Excel
- Format Numbers to Millions & Thousands in Excel
- Format Phone Numbers in Excel
- Formula Errors in Excel
- Fractions in Excel
- Frequency Distribution in Excel
- Group in Excel
- Group Worksheets in Excel
- Group Columns in Excel
- Hide Formula in Excel
- Hiding a Column in Excel
- Highlight Every Other Row in Excel
- Highlight Duplicates in Excel
- How to Create a Formula in Excel?
- How to Create an Excel Spreadsheet?
- How to Add Text in Excel Formula?
- How to Create Dashboard in Excel?
- How to Copy Sheet in Excel?
- How to Delete Pivot Table?
- How to Calculate Percentage Increase in Excel?
- How to Multiply in Excel Formula?
- How to Unhide Columns in Excel?
- Insert Date in Excel
- Insert Calendar in Excel
- Import Data into Excel
- Insert Comment in Excel
- Insert Hyperlinks in Excel
- Insert Multiple Rows in Excel
- Insert Row Shortcut in Excel
- Insert New Worksheet in Excel
- Insert (Embed) an Object in Excel
- Insert Image in Excel Cell
- Insert Page Break in Excel
- Line Breaks in Excel
- Linear Interpolation in Excel
- Leading Zeros in Excel
- Last Day of the Month in Excel
- Logical Operators in Excel
- Lookup Table in Excel
- Mortgage Calculator in Excel
- Moving Average in Excel
- Not Equal to in Excel
- Numbering in Excel
- Name Manager in Excel
- Page Numbers in Excel
- Page Break in Excel
- Personal Budget Template in Excel
- Project Management Template in Excel
- Percentage Difference in Excel (Increase / Decrease)
- Pivot Table Calculated Field & Formula
- Pivot Table Sort
- Pivot Table From Multiple Sheets
- Print Comments in Excel
- Print Excel Gridlines
- Print in Excel
- Print Preview in Excel
- Print Area in Excel
- Print Titles in Excel
- Print Labels From Excel
- Project Timeline in Excel
- Protect Sheet in Excel
- Ratio in Excel Formula
- Random Numbers in Excel
- Randomize List in Excel
- Refresh Pivot Table in Excel
- Relative References in Excel
- Remove Blank Rows in Excel
- Remove Duplicates in Excel
- Remove Duplicates from Excel Column
- Remove Hyperlinks in Excel
- Remove Space in Excel
- Remove Leading Spaces in Excel
- Remove Watermark in Excel
- Row Limit in Excel
- Rows and Columns in Excel
- Rows to Columns in Excel
- Row Header in Excel
- Search in Excel
- Search For Text in Excel
- Share an Excel Workbook
- Shortcut to Merge Cells in Excel
- Show Formula in Excel
- Split Cells in Excel
- Separate Text in Excel
- Strikethrough in Excel
- Strikethrough Text in Excel
- Sum by Color in Excel
- Subscript in Excel
- Superscript in Excel
- Themes in Excel
- Timesheet Calculator in Excel
- Top 20 Keyboard Shortcuts in Excel
- Unmerge Cells in Excel
- Uppercase in Excel
- Word Count in Excel
- Word Cloud in Excel
- Watermark in Excel
- Weighted Average in Excel
- Wildcard in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- TEXT Functions in Excel (29+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- VBA (162+)
Excel Formula Does Not Work (Updating)
Excel is full of formulas and crunch numbers, manipulation data to make it organized for working smoothly. Sometimes we don’t get the result what we wanted, we may get an error value or we may get the formula syntax with supplied parameters only. I think you have experienced situations like instead of showing the result you might have seen formula only not the result of the formula.
In this article, I will cover why excel formula does not work or update, what could be the reason, and what are the solutions for this.
Scenarios of Excel Formula Not Working
#1 – Cells Formatted as Text
Type 1: Now take look at the first possibility of formula showing the formula itself not the result of the formula. Look at the below image where SUM function showing the formula not result.
Reason for Excel Formula not Working: First thing we need to look is the format of the cells, in these cells are D1, D2, and D3. Now take a look at the format of these cells.
It is formatted as text when the cells are formatted as text excel cannot read numbers and return the result for your applied formula.
Solution to Excel Formula not Working – Change the format of the cells to General or Convert to Numbers. Select the cells and on the left-hand side you will see one small icon, click on that icon and choose the option “Convert to Numbers”.
Now we must see the result of the formula.
Oh hang on still we are not getting the result we are looking for. Now we need to examine the formula cell whether it is formatted as text or not.
Yes, it is formatted as text, so change the cell format to GENERAL or NUMBER. We must see the result now.
#2 – Accidentally Typed the keys CTRL + `
Often in excel when we are working in a hurry we tend of type keys which are not required and it is an accidental incident. But if we don’t know which key we typed we may end up with getting an unusual result.
One such moment is SHOW FORMULAS in excel shortcut key CTRL + `. If you have typed this key accidentally we may the result like the below picture.
Reason for Excel Formula not working: As I told reason could be the accidental pressing of show formula shortcut key.
Solution to Excel Formula not Working- The solution is to try typing the same key again to get back the results of the formula rather than the formula itself.
#3 – Values are Different & Result is Different
Sometimes in excel, we see different numbers but formula shows different results. Below image shows one such situation.
In cell D1, D2, and D3 we have 10 as the value. In cell D4 we have applied SUM function to get the total value of cell D1, D2, and D3. But result says 40 instead of 30.
Reason for Excel Formula not working: All the excel files calculations are set to Automatic. But in order to enhance the speed of the large data files, the user might have changed the auto calculation to a manual one.
Solution to Excel Formula not Working – We fix this in two ways. One is we can turn on the calculation to automatic.
Either we can do one more thing we can also press the shortcut key F9 which is nothing but CALCULATE NOW under Formulas bar.
#4 – Don’t Enclose Numbers in Double Quotes
In situations inside the formula, we require to pass the numerical values to get the desired result. Take look at the below image it shows cities and the average temperature in the city.
If the temperature is greater than 25 then average should be 25 and the temperature is less than 25 then average should be 20. I will apply IF condition in excel to get the results.
I have supplied the numerical results double quotes =IF (B2>25,”25″,”20″). When the numbers are passed in double quotes excel treats them as text values, we cannot do any kind of calculation with text numbers.
Always pass the numerical values without double quotes like the below image.
Now we can do all sorts of calculation with these numerical values.
#5 – Check Whether Formulas has Enclosed in Double Quotes at Either Ends
We need to make sure formulas are not wrapped in double quotes. This happens when we copy formulas from online websites and we paste as it is. If the formula is mentioned in double quotes for understanding we need to remove double quotes and paste otherwise we will end up getting only the formulas not the result of the formula.
#6 – Space Before the Excel Formula
We all humans make mistakes. Typing mistake is one of those errors we usually commit day in day out in our workplace. If you type one or more space before you start your formula it breaks the rule of the formulas in excel. We will end up with only the excel formula not the result of the formula.
This has been a guide to Excel Formula Not Working and Updating. Here we discuss the Top 6 Reasons and Solutions of those Excel Formulae not working and updating along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –