How to Recover Unsaved Excel Files? (Step by Step)
Follow the below steps to recover unsaved excel files/workbooks.
- From the active workbook, click on the File tab.
- Under the “Manage Workbook,” click on the drop-down list to see the option of “Recover Unsaved Workbooks.”
- Click on “Recover Unsaved Workbooks” to see the list of unsaved workbooks.
- Choose the latest file which needs to recover; you can find the file based on the date and time. Select the file and click on “Open.”
- Now, as soon as you open the file, you will see the option stating “RECOVERED UNSAVED FILE.” From here, choose the option of “Save As” to save the file in your own desired folder.
Like this, we can recover never saved workbooks if we close the workbook accidentally.
Recover Previous Versions of Excel File
Imagine a situation where you have started the work in the already saved workbook at 04:00 PM in the afternoon, you have worked for 20 minutes, and suddenly you have realized at some point in time you made some mistakes let’s say at 04:07 PM. Now you need to go back to the file of 04:07 PM; how do you recover this file?
This is also possible based on our auto-recovery option. If the auto-recovery time is 4 minutes, then excel keeps saving versions of excel for every two minutes, so we will be able to recover the file based on this timing.
- Step 1: Go to the File tab.
- Step 2: Go to INFO.
- Step 3: Now, you will see the “Manage Versions” option; next to this, we can see all the previously autosaved files.
Things to Remember
- Set the auto-recovery time as 2 minutes to get the frequent time interval backups.
- If the data is huge, then the lesser the time you set, the more time it will consume while saving the workbook.
- Auto recovery of older versions of excel file will work only for already saved excel file.
This has been a guide to Recover Unsaved Excel Files. Here we discuss how to Enable AutoRecover options and recover Unsaved Excel files and Workbooks, etc., along with practical examples. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –