Worksheet Tab in Excel
Worksheet tabs in excel are rectangular tabs visible on the bottom left of the excel workbook, the active tab shows the active worksheet available to edit, by default there can be three worksheet tabs opened and we can insert more tabs in the worksheet using the plus button provided to the end of the tabs also we can rename or delete any of the worksheet tabs.
Worksheets are the platform for Excel software. These worksheets have separate tabs and every excel file must contain at least one worksheet in it. We have many more things to do with these worksheets tab in excel.
The worksheet tab can be found at the bottom of every excel worksheet tab.
In this article, we will take a complete tour about worksheet tabs regarding how to manage worksheets, rename, delete, hide, unhide, move or copy, the replica of the current worksheet, and many other things.
#1 Change No. of Worksheets by Default Excel Creates
If you have observed when you open excel file at first excel gives you 3 worksheets named Sheet1, Sheet2, and Sheet3.
We can modify this default setting and make our own settings. Follow the below steps to modify the settings.
- Step 1: Go to FILE.
- Step 2: Go to OPTIONS.
- Step 3: Under GENERAL, go-to when creating new workbooks.
- Step 4: Under this Include this many sheets:
- Step 5: Here you can modify how many worksheets tab in excel need to be included while creating a new workbook.
- Step 6: Click on OK. We will have 5 excel worksheets tab whenever you open a new workbook.
#2 Create Replica of Current Worksheet
When you are working in an excel file, at a certain point you want to have a copy of the current worksheet. Assume below is the worksheet tab you are working on at the moment.
- Step 1: Right-click on the worksheet and select Move or Copy.
- Step 2: In the below window click the checkbox Create a copy.
- Step 3: Click on OK, we will have a new sheet with the same data. The new worksheet name will be 2017 Sales (2).
#3 – Create Replica of Current Worksheet by Using Shortcut Key
We can also create a replica of the current sheet by using this shortcut key.
- Step 1: Select the sheet and hold the Ctrl key.
- Step 2: After holding the control key hold the left button of the mouse key and drag to the right side. We would have a replica sheet now.
#4 – Create New Excel Worksheet
- Step 1: In order to create a new worksheet, you need to click on the plus icon after the last worksheet.
- Step 2: Once you click on the PLUS icon we would have a new worksheet to the right of the current worksheet.
#5 – Create New Excel Worksheet Tab Using Shortcut Key
We can also create a new excel worksheet tab by using the shortcut key. The shortcut key to insert the worksheet is Shift + F11.
If you press this key it would insert the new worksheet tab to the left of the current worksheet.
#6 – Go to the First Worksheet & Last Worksheet
Assume we are working with the workbook which has many worksheets. We are moving between sheets regularly, if you want to move to the last and first worksheets then we need to use the below technique.
In order to come to the first worksheet, hold the control key, and click on the arrow symbol to move to the first sheet.
#7 – Move Between Worksheets
Going through all the worksheets in the workbook is a tough task if you are moving manually. We have a shortcut key to move between worksheets.
Ctrl + Page Up: This would go to the previous worksheet.
Ctrl + Page Down: This would go to the next worksheet.
#8 – Delete Worksheets
Like how we can insert new worksheets similarly we can delete as the worksheet as well. In order to delete the worksheet right click on the required worksheet and click on DELETE.
If you want to delete multiple sheets at once hold the control key and select the sheets you want to delete.
Now can delete all the sheets at once.
We can also delete the sheet by using the shortcut key i.e. ALT + E + L.
If you want to select all the sheets you can right-click on any of the worksheets and choose Select All Sheets.
Once all the worksheets are selected and if you want to unselect again right-click on any of the worksheets and choose Ungroup Worksheets.
#9 – View All the Worksheets
If you have many worksheets and you want to select a particular sheet but don’t know where exactly that sheet is.
You can use the below technique to see all the worksheets. Right-click on the move buttons at the bottom.
We will see below the list of all the worksheets tab in the excel file.
Things to Remember
- We can also hide and unhide sheets by right click on the sheets.
- ALT + E + L is the shortcut key.
- ALT + E + M is the shortcut key to create a replica sheet.
- Ctrl + Page Up is the shortcut key to select left side worksheets.
- Ctrl + Page Down is the shortcut key to select right side worksheets.
This has been guided to Worksheet Tab in Excel. Here we discuss how to manage worksheets, rename, delete, hide, unhide, move or copy and use shortcut keys along with practical examples and downloadable excel template. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –