Procedure Involved in Sharing Excel Workbook
Follow the below steps to learn about this option.
- Step 1: First things is we need to decide which workbook that we want to share, so open that excel workbook first.
- Step 2: In that workbook go to Review tab and click on Share Workbook option in Excel.
- Step 3: As soon as you click on the Share Workbook it will show you the below dialogue box. In this below the window, we have two tabs i.e. “Editing” & “Advanced”, under editing option select the checkbox Use the old shared workbooks feature instead of the new co-authoring experience.
- Step 4: Under “Editing” that was the only option we have, now choose the “Advanced” tab. Under Advanced we can track changes, when to track changes, the conflict between two users’ changes at a time, etc…
- Step 5: After all the settings we have done in the above window we need to upload the file to the network location like dropbox from where they can access the workbook. Then send the link or give user id password to them.
- Step 6: Send the workbook stored link to the concerned person.
Errors in Excel Share Workbook
Often times when you choose the option “Share Workbook” it shows the error message. The reason behind this is some settings in excel.
Follow the below steps to change settings.
Go to File >>> Options >>> Trust Center >>> Trust Centre Settings >>> Uncheck Remove personal information from file properties on view.
Excel Share Workbook but Also Protect Changes Tracking
Sharing Workbook isn’t only featured available rather we can foresee the changes of other users as well. To apply this change we need to un-share the workbook before we apply any changes.
To check the changes of users and have control follow the below steps.
- Step 1: Go to Review Tab.
- Step 2: Next to “Share Workbook” we have Protect Shared Workbook option, click on that.
- Step 3: Once you click on “Protect Shared Workbook” we can see below dialogue box. Under Password (optional) enter the password as per your wish but remember it!!!.
- Step 4: Password isn’t the mandatory option however it is always a good practice to enter the password and share the workbook to have control over the changes.
Protect Sheet vs Protect Shared Workbook
We can see two types of protection with excel, i.e. “Protect Sheet in Excel” and “Protect Shared Workbook”. Don’t get confused with these two options, these two aren’t the same, below are the differences between these two.
- Protect Sheet is protecting the worksheet not the workbook
- Protect Shared Workbook means we are not allowing the user the option of change tracking of the shared workbook
Un-Share & Remove Users From Shared Workbooks
We can also un-share and remove particular users from the shared workbook.
To un-share the workbook we need to uncheck the option of “Use the old shared workbooks feature instead of the new co-authoring experience.”
If you wish to remove users then we need to select the user and check the “remove” button as shown below.
This will remove the selected user from this workbook.
Things to Remember
- We need to protect the shared workbook and share to track changes option.
- Protect Worksheet and Protect Shared Workbooks aren’t the same.
This has been a step by step guide to Excel Shared Workbook. Here we provide step by step guide to share files in excel along with examples and explanations. You may learn more about excel from the following articles –