Financial Analyst Job Description Guide
Financial Analyst job description below provides full and complete details of the roles and responsibilities of a Financial Analyst, top skills needed to perform such functions and the primary qualification required to become a financial analyst.
Who is a Financial Analyst?
An analyst is a person who is well versed with the fundamental working principles of a particular domain or area of study. He is expected to analyze various scenarios including but not limited to current situations in the market and come up with intelligent inferences for the company and help them develop strategies for doing business in that current scenario.
For example, a ‘credit analyst’ in a bank is primarily responsible for deciding if a loan should be given (also called as loan-sanction by bank officers) to people who come to the bank to borrow money. There are several factors which are responsible for deciding if a person can get a loan from the bank.
Factors to Get a Loan From the Bank
- Whether the person who wants to borrow money is employed or not?
- If there is any other loan already taken by the person?
These are some of the many factors a ‘credit analyst’ takes into account before making a decision on whether the bank should lend money or not.
Similarly, a ‘financial analyst’ is one who ‘studies’ a company and tries to make predictions about the financial health of the company in the future. As we mentioned earlier, an analyst has to look at multiple factors before making his/her decisions, similarly, a financial analyst also has several factors to analyze and understand before reaching any conclusions about that particular company.
The foremost Financial Analyst job description is to study financial statements of companies. Just like we, as students, are issued grade-cards by our school teacher with different grades for different subjects and an overall assessment of our year-round performance, companies also issue their financial statements which consist of information on how they performed their businesses throughout the year.
Financial Analyst job description – Sample
Below is a sample Financial Analyst Job Description.
Financial Analyst supports and analyzes company financials monthly, quarterly as well as annual and assists in preparing and forecasting annual budget. Below are some of the key responsibilities of a Financial Analyst –
- Support monthly and year-end accounting
- Analyze business units, its performance on a monthly basis and provide budget vs variance analysis as well as forecasts
- Financial modeling resulting in forecasting of revenue, expenses, headcounts, balance sheet and cash flows
- monitor the key financial metrics of the company
- perform performing ad-hoc analysis and new project break-even analysis
- Provide key business analyses and strategic recommendations on pricing, investment, make vs. buy, ROI cost reduction and controls.
- Assist in due diligence and identification of business acquisition targets
Key Qualifications – Financial Analyst Job Description
Below are the key qualifications required by the Financial Analyst –
- Typically a graduate level course in Accounting & Commerce, Finance is necessary
- Candidates with Engineering background/STEM courses are preferred as they have quantitative and programming skills
- Candidates from Business Schools with specialization in Finance have an advantage as they are able to read financial statements easily, are aware of different accounting practices and are generally able to understand market conditions more easily
- Stronghold on Statistics-forecasting techniques, risk modeling, Value At Risk calculations
- Applied Mathematics and Economics knowledge- to analyze current economic condition and predictions for future economic indicators
- Mathematical modeling for in-depth data analyses using traditional and advanced methods
- A Financial Analyst is expected to have good presentations and communication skills.
Skills – Financial Analyst Job Description
Here is the list of top skills and knowledge that a Financial analyst must possess –
- Working knowledge of MS-Excel
- Knowledge of database management systems is required to store data
- Hands on Experience in VBA-Macros
- Knowledge of accounting procedures and financial reporting practices
- Ability to design dashboards showcasing information in the data, one should be able to work on software like PowerBI
- Financial Modeling in excel
- Strong command over English and good conversational skills
- Ability to swiftly coordinate amongst different departments of an organization which may all be using data stored by him, reports generated by him or recommendations made to the senior management
- Ensure timely communication of results/reports to key personnel within the organization as well as clients
In conclusion, as a financial analyst, one is responsible for showcasing the ‘report card of the company’ to various stakeholders. One is also responsible for making future predictions on where the company analyzed is headed in business. In the end, it can be seen that a financial analyst needs to have different skill-sets for different financial analyst jobs for graduates like financial statement analysis, database management, modeling, and predictions, and report writing.
This has been a guide to Financial Analyst Job Description. Here we looked at who is a Financial Analyst, top details of its job, key skills you should possess as a financial analyst, primarily qualifications you must possess as a financial analyst. You may also have a look these articles below to learn more about Corporate Finance –