How to Freeze Panes in Excel?
Freeze panes is an option in excel which is used when we want to fix any row or any column in the worksheet to not to move while dragging the data up and down, it is mostly used on the headers of the data so that user can have an idea which columns have which type of data, but excel has given us more options either we can freeze the first row or first column or we can freeze any rows and column by selecting them and clicking on freeze panes.
Let’s understand the working of freeze panes by the below simple examples.
Example #1 – Freeze the Top Row in Excel
Let’s consider a sales data set, as shown in the below table, to apply the freeze panes to lock the first row from the below table.
- Go to the view tab and then click on freeze top row in excel, as shown in the below figure.
- By selecting this option, your entire sheet first row will freeze; you can test it by scrolling the sheet.
Example #2 – Freeze the First Column in Excel
Let’s consider the same sales data to apply the excel freeze panes option on it.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
- Go to the view tab and then click on freeze first column option, as shown in the below figure.
- By selecting this option, your entire first column will freeze. If you scroll the sheet to column-wise, you will see that the first column will not move while scrolling.
Example #3 – Freeze the Top Row and the First Column in Excel
In this example, we will apply the freeze panes option on the top row and first column at once. Let’s consider the below table.
- Select the B2 cell and Go to the View tab and then click on the freeze panes option, as shown in the below figure.
- Now you will see the top row and first column get the freeze.
Example #4 – Freeze as Many Rows or Columns in Excel as you want
To freeze multiple columns, select the column to the right of the last column you want frozen and click Freeze Panes. To freeze multiple rows in excel (starting with row 1), select the row below the last row you want frozen and click Freeze Panes.
Example #5 – Unfreeze the Panes in Excel
If you have data on which the freeze pane is already applied, but you don’t know where it is applied, then you can just simply remove the freeze pane by selecting the Unfreeze panes option under the View tab as shown in the below figure.
Things to Remember
- You can use the Alt-W-F shortcut to enable the Freeze Panes options. Then there are three options:
- Press F to freeze both rows and columns in excel based on where your cursor is (this will freeze rows and columns to the right and to the left of your cursor)
- Press R to freeze the top row in excel only
- Press C to freeze the first column in excel only
This has been a guide to Freeze Panes in Excel Cell. Here we discuss how to freeze the Rows and Columns in excel using Freeze Panes along with the examples and downloadable excel template. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –