What does Split Panes in Excel Mean?
Splitting panes in excel means splitting a workbook in different parts, this technique is available in the windows section of the View tab, panes can be split in horizontal or vertical way or it can be a cross split, the horizontal and vertical split can be seen in the mid-section of the worksheet however cross split can be done by dragging the panes.
How to Split Panes in Excel? (with Examples)
Let’s understand the working of split panes by the below simple examples.
Example #1 – Split Panes Horizontally
Let’s consider a sales data set as shown in the below table to apply the split panes to split the worksheet into panes horizontally.
- First, select the cell A5 then Go to the view tab and then click on the split as shown in the below screenshot.
Then you will get a horizontal splitter in your worksheet now you can compare the data by scrolling.
Example #2 – Split Panes Vertically
Let’s consider the below sales data to apply the split panes to split the excel into vertical panes.
4.9 (1,353 ratings) 35+ Courses | 120+ Hours | Full Lifetime Access | Certificate of Completion
- First, select column B then Go to the view tab and then click on the split as shown in the below screenshot.
Then you will get a vertical splitter in your worksheet as shown in the above screenshot.
Example #3 – Insert a Cross Split Pane into a Worksheet
In this example, we will apply the split pane option to cross split the worksheet.
Let’s consider the below table.
- First, select the cell B7 then Go to the view tab and then click on the split as shown in the below screenshot.
- By applying this you will get across splitter as shown in the below screenshot.
Example #4 – Unsplit the panes
In this example we will unsplit the panes, suppose you have a date on which the split pane is already applied, and you want to remove the split pane option from your worksheet then just go to the View tab and disable the split option to remove the split panes from your worksheet.
Things to Remember
- You can use the Alt-W-S shortcut to enable the split panes in your worksheet.
- Move the active cell to row 1 to split your worksheet vertically into 2 panes.
- Move the active cell to column A to split your worksheet horizontally into 2 panes.
- If the select any cell in the middle of somewhere in your worksheet, you’ll get 4 panes or cross panes.
This has been a guide to Split Panes in Excel. Here we discuss how to split panes in excel along with excel examples like horizontally, vertically, cross split panes. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –