What is Personal Finance?
Personal finance refers to managing the financial activities like investment, budgeting, saving, risk allocation, mortgages and includes personal banking, planning for a future goals or desires and any such activities to enable those goals encompasses personal finance, it can be for an individual or a family as a whole and requires some level of financial literacy such as tax laws, investment opportunities etc.
Personal finance in layman’s terms is managing money, how much is earned, how much is spent and saved based on the personal choice and preferences of every individual. One starts with the goals then plans and allocates the resources accordingly, for example, saving for the retirement a person would want to have a certain minimum amount of income even after retirement or a person saving for his\her child’s marriage. After setting the goal one needs to look at the options to achieve that certain goal which could range from saving accordingly looking for investment opportunities and creating multiple sources of income.
Why is Personal Finance Important?
Finance has always been a very important aspect of human life and in the current world, it has become even more important than ever. One should be financially literate to look for opportunities and keep up to date with the world so as to be aware of any risks. Finance plays a large role in deciding the direction and quality of life of a human being in the current economic and social environment. For your personal growth and your family’s personal finance in a lot of ways plays a key role.
Process for Personal Finance Planning
The process of personal finance planning is as below:
- Looking at the current i.e. evaluating where we stand how the situation currently is faring to get a better idea understanding strengths and weaknesses.
- Setting up goals according to the preferences is pivotal as to the direction in which one should move forward in the future and
- Identifying all the various courses of action which can be taken in the current situation and evaluating the time-frame and costs and risks associated with each such course of action.
- Evaluating all the alternatives identified and looking at each option pros and cons given the limitation of resources and choosing the alternative by mitigating the risk to an acceptable level.
- Implementing the chosen course of action i.e. time to play ball, actually making the investments completing the formalities and doing the paperwork.
- Following up is necessary as the conditions are always changing and accordingly one must be dynamic and evaluate the options from time to time to get the best results
Personal Finance Strategies
Some of the top personal finance strategies are as below:
- Forming up a budget and figuring out how much is going to spend on what activities example how much is going to be spent of the total income on essential activities like rent and groceries and how much on leisure and savings.
- Reducing the debt one has is surely the most basic and one of the best strategies moving forward.
- Credit cards can get better of our emotions and can lead us to impulsive buys which could become a trap in itself, therefore, using a credit card wisely can get you to avoid a lot of trouble
- Look out for retirement by starting to inculcate that in the strategies and making space for yourself when you retire.
- Understanding the tax system of your country can help save a lot of money by correct tax planning; expert advice is always helpful in this regard.
- Saving up for a rainy day and emergencies is always a good option to have for those gloomy days’ example emergency medical bills or a big loss like repairs of hose of car.
- One must have knowledge of its credit score and should make efforts to maintain a good credit score as it helps in maintaining better creditworthiness.
- Getting appropriate insurance is also imperative to avoid sudden loss and shocks.
Principles of Personal Finance
The different principles of personal finance include the following:
#1 – Saving
The principle of saving is the best principle when it comes to managing your finances. The more you save the more you have simple as that.
#2 – Priority
There are limited resources and any number of ways in which those resources can be utilized one must be prudent and give priority to certain spending over others to get best out of this limitation.
#3 – Restraint
Living a life where you don’t indulge in activities that gulp up your cash flow rather than enhancing it i.e. stopping yourself from not indulging in wasteful expenditures such as buying an expensive car.
#4 – Investment
One should not work for money rather make your money work for you and creating ways to have multiple sources of income.
#5 – Knowledge
One must always make efforts to educate itself in terms of financial matters and keep improving so as to have a better understanding of the subject and make better decisions in the future.
Types of Personal Finance
- Banking denotes the basic banking functions of maintaining accounts and facilitation of the transactions.
- Mortgages and loans refer to the facility or services which enable a person to get leverage and acquire an asset or an education loan to advance its objectives.
- Investment to make by evaluating all the alternatives and choosing out the best way out given the acceptance of a certain amount of risk for example Investment in Real Estate, Stock Market, Fixed Deposit, etc.
- Counseling can be obtained to get a better picture and a bird’s eye view of the situation at hand and it acts as a guiding force and a fresh perspective.
Personal finance is a very vast field in itself and today’s environment management of finances has become of utmost importance. There is always an option to hire some professional to manage all your personal finances and banking. Almost all the banks nowadays provide such services where they manage your money for you. However, one must always be prudent and should acquire enough knowledge to make correct decisions in this regard while keeping own emotions in check.
This has been a guide to What is Personal Finance & its Definition. Here we discuss the personal finance types, process, and strategies along with principles and why it’s important? You can learn more about from the following articles –