Excel Functions Tutorials
- TEXT Functions in Excel
- Char Function In Excel
- CLEAN Excel Function
- CODE Excel Function
- Concatenate Excel Function
- CONCATENATE Formula in Excel
- Concatenate Date in Excel
- Concatenate Excel Columns
- Concatenate Strings in Excel
- Opposite of Concatenate in Excel
- EXACT Excel Function
- FIND Function in Excel
- LEFT Function in Excel
- LEN in Excel
- MID in Excel
- MID Formula in Excel
- PROPER in Excel
- Proper Formula in Excel
- REPT Function in Excel
- RIGHT Function in Excel
- Right Formula in Excel
- Search Function in Excel
- Substitute Function in Excel
- Substring in Excel
- TEXT Function in Excel
- TEXT Formula in Excel
- Trim in Excel
- Trim Formula in Excel
- VALUE Function in Excel
- Value Formula in Excel
- Financial Functions in Excel (17+)
- Logical Functions in Excel (15+)
- Lookup Reference in Excel (44+)
- Maths Functions in Excel (52+)
- Date and Time Function in Excel (22+)
- Statistical Function in Excel (50+)
- Information Functions in Excel (5+)
- Excel Charts (48+)
- Excel Tools (98+)
- Excel Tips (178+)
- VBA (162+)
PROPER in Excel (Table of Contents)
PROPER Function in Excel
PROPER function is categorized as String or Text function in excel. The PROPER function converts the first character to upper case and rests to lower case.
Basically, PROPER function in excel is used to convert your input text to proper case. It can be used to capitalize each word in a given string. The PROPER function in excel will not affect numbers and punctuations in the given text or string. It will only convert the first character to upper case and all the other letters to lowercase.
PROPER Formula in Excel
The PROPER formula in excel has one compulsory parameter i.e. text.
- text: The text or string whose first character in each word will be converted to uppercase and all remaining characters converted to lowercase.
How to Use the PROPER Function in Excel?
PROPER function in excel is very simple and easy to use. Let understand the working of PROPER in Excel by some examples. The PROPER function can be used as worksheet function and as VBA function.
PROPER in Excel Example #1
In this example, we took a set of random text to apply the proper function to it and output shown in the Output column. PROPER in Excel covert the supplied text to proper format.
PROPER in Excel Example #2
In the second example, we use the input text having random spacing b/w words. So here we have to use Trim function with a PROPER function to get the well-formatted output. The proper function first covert each first word to the upper case than trim function removes all the unnecessary spaces from the supplied text as shown in the below table.
The PROPER in excel can be used as a VBA function.
Dim rng As Range, cell As Range // declare two Range objects
Set rng = Selection // We initialize the Range object rng with the selected range.
// We want to check each cell in a randomly selected range (this range can be of any size). In Excel VBA, you can use the For Each Next loop for this. Add the following code lines:
For Each cell In rng
cell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Proper(cell.Value)
Things to remember about the PROPER Function
- Numbers and punctuation characters are not affected by the use of PROPER function in the string.
- PROPER function converts the ‘s to ‘S, for example, tanuj’s to Tanuj’S.
This has been a guide to PROPER in Excel. Here we discuss the PROPER Formula in excel and how to use PROPER Excel function along with excel example and downloadable excel templates. You may also look at these useful functions in excel –