Root Cause Analysis Meaning
Root Cause refers to finding the crux of the problem and is a collective term that determines various tools and techniques to solve the problem. It is generally used in science and engineering in which the RCA plays a vital role in identifying and solving a particulars technical glitch.
Below mentioned are some of the steps that should be followed in preparing an RCA Analysis Report :
- #1 – Identification & Description: It refers to the detailed description of the problem statements and the events.
- #2 – Chronology: Is the sequence of the events that have happened before the problem arises.
- #3 – Differentiation: Comparing the problem with the earlier analyzed RCA’s and finding out the differentiating factor.
- #4 – Casual Graphing: It refers to the analysis of the events and then charting in a graphical format.
Tools used for Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
Below mentioned are some of the tools used:
- Pareto Chart – Pareto Chart in excel is a bar chart with a line graph in it that determines the frequency and the cost of the problems. The bar represents the frequency of the problems that occur while the graph represents the cumulative percentage of the same.
- 5 Why’s – Does it refer to asking questions to the systems in order to get the expected result i.e Why the System has thrown an error? Why the process was not successfully executed? Why there is downtime in the Uploading process? Why the Processes are getting delayed and what can be done to reduce the downtime?
- Fishbone Diagram – It has multiple sub – causes that get generated from the original problem.
- Scatter Plot Diagram – Scatter Plot in excel reflects the relationship between the variables by plotting the same on a graph.
- Failure Mode and Effective Analysis – It is a method used to note down the defects in the product or process design.
Examples of Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
Let us take an event where we are supposed to analyze the failure in the sales team during a particular day in new york city.
In the above example for finding the root cause analysis, we need to check the quantity of the products available for sale at each branch, the quality of the people, pricing and the change in peoples preferences in order to find the root cause of the products been not sold to the public and thus there is a fall in the sales volume
Let us take an example of the opening and closing of the stock markets.
In the above example, in case there is an issue in the opening of the stock markets on the desired time, the team will check each and every system and code in the machine in order to find the root cause of the markets not been opened on time and fix the bug as soon as possible.
Let us take an example of the number of accidents in new york city
In this, using the Police Records of the NYPD, it can be found out the list of accidents that have happened in the past and the also the reasons for which the same has occurred so that the root cause of the problem can be identified and fix the same at the earliest.
Let us take an example of an uploading error in a system
In this, using the system logs and the data it can be easily found out why the system is unable to upload a document.
- It helps to understand the exact source of the problem and also the measures to fix the bug is that it doesn’t get repeated in the future.
- It is a systematic investigation which checks each and every process and system to form an opinion about the crux of the issue.
- It offers a long-lasting solution since the principal defect is been eliminated at the preliminary stages thus helping the company to run its processes and systems smoothly without any hick-ups.
- It provides a safer workplace for the employees working in the company.
- It requires extra time in order to analyze the situation and then come out with an RCA report.
- There is a separate RCA analysis department in the company which carries a cost.
- To prepare an RCA, extra efforts need to be taken to the staff to go to the origin of the problem by interacting with multiple systems and processes and understand the synergy between them.
- Even a small error found in the RCA report can help the system to increases its efficiency and operational smoothness in the future.
- It takes a very long time to arrive at the conclusion as every step of the process needs to thoroughly check and tested before moving ahead to the next process. it is a time-consuming job.
Root Cause Analysis is one of the most important aspects for any organization since it helps in identifying the core problems in the products, processes, systems, and financial performances and also suggesting measures to eliminate the faulty ones at the right time. It is more common among IT professionals who are experts in coding and solving business issues in the software.
This has been a guide to what is Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and its definition. Here we discuss the top 5 tools of RCA along with examples, advantages, and disadvantages. You can learn more about accounting from following articles –