Investment Banking Tutorials
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- What is Mergers and Acquisitions?
- Mergers vs Acquisitions
- Acquisitions Examples
- Horizontal Merger
- Vertical Merger
- Synergy in M&A
- Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Financing Acquisitions
- Acquisition Premium (Takeover)
- Statutory Merger
- Joint Venture
- Advantages of Joint Venture
- Types of Joint Venture
- White Knight
- Hostile Takeover
- Golden Parachute
- Poison Pills
- Killer Bees Defense Strategy
- Show Stopper in M&A
- What is Amalgamation?
- Spin off vs Split Off
- Forward Integration
- Backward Integration
- Horizontal vs Vertical Integration
- What is Divesting / Divestiture?
- Bootstrap Effect
- PAC MAN Defense
- Flip-In Poison Pill
- Flip-Over Poison Pill
- Scorched Earth Defense Policy
- Tender Offer
- Friendly Takeover
- Amalgamation vs Merger
- Lobster Trap Defense
- Asset Purchase vs Stock Purchase
- Joint Venture vs Strategic Alliance
- Greenshoe Option
- Dawn Raid Takeovers
- Crown Jewels Defense
- Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books
- What is Asset Restructuring?
- Investment Banking Basics (44+)
- Investment Banking Careers (25+)
- Investment Banking Firms (27+)
- Top Banks (42+)
- Cryptocurrency Basics (10+)
Top Best Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) Books – Mergers and acquisitions are hot topic and if you want to get into it, you need to know a lot of stuff. And you also need to be technically sound. So what would be the way out? No, you can’t go to any seminars. Rarely there are any seminars on mergers and acquisitions and even if the seminars on mergers and acquisitions are conducted, they would super-pricey. Why not take things in your own hands? Why not look through the top 10 books and start your own self-education on mergers and acquisitions? Don’t you think this is the easiest way? We bet it is.
Here we discuss the Top Best Mergers and Acquisitions Books, however, if you want to know more about Mergers and Acquisitions, you can look at Mergers and Acquisition Course.
Let’s get started with the top 10 books you can start reading on mergers and acquisitions.
#1 – Mergers and Acquisitions for Dummies
by Bill Snow
Let’s start with the dummies book on mergers and acquisitions. It would be easier to read and you would be able to understand the concept in detail.
Professionals who have been in the same domain mentioned that this book has eased up the process so much that they can easily be digested even for a newbie. There are three basic things you need to learn about mergers and acquisitions – first, the benefits of buying stocks and assets; second, accounting for any changes due to mergers and acquisitions; and finally, the earn-outs to motivate the existing management. And in this book you would learn all three in a very lucid manner. If you are a beginner in M&A, this is the first book you should read without any trace of doubt.
Best takeaways from this best M&A book
- First of all, this best Mergers and Acquisitions book is written in very lucid manner; thus, it can become an indispensable guide for a beginner.
- You will learn the entire mergers and acquisitions process under 380 pages which is great.
- You will also learn to identify and value targets.
- And you will also get to know how to negotiate effectively in this regard.
#2 – Mergers and Acquisitions from A to Z
by Andrew J. Sherman
If you are en entrepreneur or someone who wants to know a great deal about mergers and acquisitions, you should read this book.
Review: As the title suggests, this book is a complete account of mergers and acquisitions from A to Z. Not only that, the author would hand-hold you and would show you what questions to ask, whether to buy or to sell, when to buy or sell, how to weigh the value and also the checklists for doing mergers and acquisitions from start to finish. And if you are an entrepreneur, this guide would be helpful to you as it doesn’t only talk about US mergers and acquisitions; rather it also points out how to go for mergers and acquisitions even for non-US based businesses. Even you would learn the latest trends in mergers and acquisitions so that you can be aware of them when you go for M&A processes.
Best takeaways from this Top M&A book
- This best mergers and acquisitions book has given a lot of case studies and practical examples so that the readers can connect with the fundamentals and at the same time learn what to expect from a real life merger and acquisition.
- This guide is not out-dated. That means along with learning the fundamentals, you will also learn about the latest trends in M&A.
- You will also learn the best practices in M&A processes so that you can apply the same and get the maximum benefits.
#3 – The Art of M&A, Fourth Edition:
A Merger Acquisition Buyout Guide
by Stanley Foster Reed, Alexandra Lajoux & H. Peter Nesvold
This is a huge guide on M&A. If you want to know in detail about how to do M&A buyout, you should read this book cover to cover.
Review: This comprehensive M&A book is 1100 pages long. So you can understand how comprehensive it must be! It provides a lot of information about a deal. For example, this book talks about how to find a deal, how to do the valuation of the deal, how to finance the deal, how you would go out and do the due diligence and how to go about merger integration. This book is not recommended for you if you are looking for just an overview. This is not the book to start with M&A, if you are new to it. Because this book not only talks about the mergers and acquisitions in detail; it also talks about the legal considerations in mergers and acquisitions deals.
Best takeaways from this Best Mergers and Acquisition book
- The resource of Q&A format has seemed to be invaluable for people who have purchased this guide.
- This book is a complete book on M&A. If you read only one book, make it this one; because once you read this, you don’t need to read any other book on mergers and acquisitions.
- It has also included several legal cases in regards to mergers and acquisitions deals.
#4 – Mergers, Acquisitions, and Corporate Restructurings (Wiley Corporate F&A)
by Patrick A. Gaughan
This is one of the best books you would ever read on mergers and acquisitions. Have a look at the review and the best takeaways to know more about the book.
Review: Very few books have covered the recent cases of corporate restructuring. If you pick up this book, you would be able to relate to those corporate restructuring and would understand the fundamentals well. You would also get to know how mergers and acquisitions have evolved over the years and how historical growth and development have affected the evolution of M&A. You would also learn about useful strategies for the growth of companies like spin-offs, divestitures, equity carve-outs and so on and so forth. Along with these, you will also be able to learn the takeover laws in major countries.
Best takeaways from this Top Mergers and Acquisition book
- You would get to know about the fundamental rules of M&A which hasten the process and make mergers and acquisitions effective.
- You would learn how corporate restructuring would help companies compete in a fierce competitive market.
- You will also understand the laws in regards to mergers and acquisitions.
- You would also find out how to create most effective strategies for hostile acquisitions.
#5 – Mergers and Acquisitions Playbook:
Lessons from the Middle-Market Trenches (Wiley Professional Advisory Services)
by Mark A. Filippell
This book is an excellent read and if you read this book, you would get a great overview of the overall subject.
Review: Not everyone is required to learn everything about mergers and acquisitions in detail. People who are indirectly related to the mergers and acquisitions, let’s say human resource managers, this book will serve the purpose for them. Of course this book can’t be used for in depth studies; but if you want to learn the key factors of M&A, this would act as a great overview of the subject. If you are a beginner in the subject and feel that an overview of M&A will suffice, this could turn out to be the right resource for you. However, if you are in M&A field already, you may need to look for something in depth and advanced.
Best takeaways from this Best book on Mergers and Acquisitions
- This top mergers and acquisition book is particularly written with the thought of middle market trenches. And it does provide the tricks of the trade so that you can get the maximum value for a middle market business.
- You would be able to learn the differences between “currency” and “value” and you would get to know how sellers capitalize their unfair advantage.
- You will also learn to deal with bankruptcy and would know how to facilitate your lawyers in the documentation process.
#6 – Mergers & Acquisitions Integration Handbook, + Website:
Helping Companies Realize the Full Value of Acquisitions (Wiley Finance)
by Scott C. Whitaker
Many companies face issues with integration after the acquisition or the merger happens. If you are one of those who are searching for answers regarding the same, this is the book you should pick up.
Review: The best part of this M&A book is it delivers what it suggests. That means you don’t need to read this book with a grain of salt. You can pick up this book if you are one of the professionals who are struggling with integration after the merger or acquisition. This book distils the concepts to three aspects of the organizations – people, process and technology. So once you read and apply the information in real businesses, you would find that the integration process has eased up. What more you can expect from one book?
Best takeaways from this Top book on Mergers and Acquisitions
- This book is just 192 pages long; there is no fluff, only solid advice.
- You will learn how you would be able to prevent integration failure by creating an in-house integration management office to handle integration issues.
- You will get a sample integration playbook which will help you build core competency within companies.
#7 – Mergers, Acquisitions, and Other Restructuring Activities
by Donald DePamphilis
You would find the most up-to-date deals of restructuring in this book. Pick this book up if you want to read a cutting edge book on mergers and acquisitions.
Review: Most of the books talk about a series of topics which cover the whole processes in M&A. But this book is different. It doesn’t only provide the step by step guide; it also provides an excellent process view. Moreover, this book can be read by anyone with a scientific bent of mind because this book has cited so many cases that you would easily be able to relate to them and create your learning blocks.
Best takeaways from this Top M&A book
- The best part of this best mergers and acquisitions book is the recent case analyses which guide the present readers about how to do the whole thing in M&A.
- This book also includes recent researches which are very much relevant in the whole M&A process.
- Not only that you would also learn about M&A markets in 1970s, 80s & 90s so that you can compare with the present scenario and can understand how mergers and acquisitions have evolved over the years.
#8 – Mergers and Acquisitions in a Nutshell
by Dale Oesterle
This is called the book in nutshell, but if you pick up this book, you would be able to understand mergers and acquisitions in the most comprehensive manner.
Review: This top M&A book is particularly useful for people who have been studying law. Because this book goes in details of all the legal aspects of mergers and acquisitions! If you are preparing for any exam and you need a handy guide to finish things up quickly, you may go for this guide and read it through. Many students have mentioned that this guide has been so helpful to them in passing the exams. However, the text is highly technical and it would certainly not be a good choice for beginners.
Best takeaways from this Best M&A book
- This book can be a great reference guide for any students (especially law) who would like to finish things off quickly.
- All of the titles have been written by authorities in the subject and you would also get different perspectives from various sources.
#9 – Mergers, Acquisitions, Divestitures, and Other Restructurings (Wiley Finance)
by Paul Pignataro
This book includes not only mergers and acquisitions, but if you belong to finance domain, it would be a treat for you.
Review: If you are dreaming of going into investment banking, this book would seem invaluable to you. Even if you don’t want to go in any particular domain and still thinking about which domain to go into, this book will help you understand the fundamental concepts in the most lucid manner. Yes, this is a great book for beginners and if professionals want to get a refresher, this book would also act as the same.
Best takeaways from this Best Mergers and Acquisitions book
- You will get to learn accounting for asset acquisition, asset divestitures and corporate mergers.
- You would also understand EBITDA, capital structure, cash flow and their impact on M&A.
- This book will also teach you mini-modeling on mergers.
#10 – Applied Mergers and Acquisitions
Robert F. Burner & Joseph R. Perella
This is a book which can be called the best of the breed in precise manner. Have a look at the review and the best takeaways to know more.
Review: You will learn everything about M&A, if you pick up this book. You will the legal framework of M&A; the importance of due diligence; synergies; valuation of M&A; structuring the transaction and pitfalls. This book is 1056 pages long and from the length and the content you can understand how comprehensive this book is. But if you don’t want to study in depth, this book is not for you. Basically, if you want to go into M&A or finance profession, this book would be un-put-down-able.
Best takeaways from this Top Mergers and Acquisitions book
- This book is a complete book on M&A. Even if you are in M&A domain, you would find this book as an invaluable resource (but don’t expect it to cover everything in detail as it’s mostly about M&A).
- This book has been written in very lucid manner so that every average reader can go through it and understand the content. But you need to have patience and perseverance to cover the whole book.
Amazon Associate Disclosure
WallStreetMojo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com